Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Anyone racing Hocking Hills, Logan Ohio?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 06:36 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts

Just wondering if anyone is planning on racing the Hocking Hills race tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be a great day to do a bunch of climbing. Seventy percent chance of rain and 52 degrees. At least it's going to be warm!

I still like the course description for this one.

This is one of our old favorites. We haven't used this course in a long time because it is so hard. This 18 mile loop has two of the most famous hills in Ohio; Cantwell Cliffs and Jack Run. Plan on a really hard day in the saddle, and the winners and finishers will all be champions.
Has anyone done this course before that could give some type of description of it?

Last edited by LowCel; 03-09-07 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 06:57 AM
Cat WTF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, but I will be in Reily Sunday and do the double of "Acton Lake" (Hueston woods) and St Leon next week.
Old 03-09-07, 06:59 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure what I will be doing next weekend yet. I may do both of them but I doubt it. I need to start doing some long rides on Sunday's. My racing season starts in a little over a month.
Old 03-09-07, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Ive done Cantwell cliffs before, typical ohio hills, short and steep, and its in logan, not lancaster. The actual state park itself leads to the entrance of what is basically a hollow with a trail down the middle and then one around the rim up top. Elevation change of around 100ft from valley to hilltops. Im assuming a loop around that and jack run, so its gonna be up and down for each one plus whatever else. Not alot of elevation change, just short out of the saddle steep climbs(if your strong), if not, well, you will get shelled. Road quality is old asphalt, mostly 2 lane and little or no shoulder, some occasional tar n chip but dont know if course will go on that or not. Not much different than west virginia, hills are just a bit shorter and can be steep in places.
Old 03-09-07, 07:29 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Thanks for the course description and the correction on the location. I was just going by what Tim Tyler had for the driving directions. Obviously I'm not too familiar with the area.
Old 03-09-07, 07:34 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pedex
Ive done Cantwell cliffs before, typical ohio hills, short and steep, and its in logan, not lancaster. The actual state park itself leads to the entrance of what is basically a hollow with a trail down the middle and then one around the rim up top. Elevation change of around 100ft from valley to hilltops. Im assuming a loop around that and jack run, so its gonna be up and down for each one plus whatever else. Not alot of elevation change, just short out of the saddle steep climbs(if your strong), if not, well, you will get shelled. Road quality is old asphalt, mostly 2 lane and little or no shoulder, some occasional tar n chip but dont know if course will go on that or not. Not much different than west virginia, hills are just a bit shorter and can be steep in places.
Rain would be good because the roads are still full of salt.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-09-07, 08:01 AM
Cat WTF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure what I will be doing next weekend yet. I may do both of them but I doubt it. I need to start doing some long rides on Sunday's. My racing season starts in a little over a month.

Yeah, next Sunday's race won't be long, just hard. Cat 3 will probably only do 45 miles, but we'll have to do that hill 3 times. Ouch.

What are the main races in your season? We'll probably be at a lot of the same races over the year.
Old 03-09-07, 08:03 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by cat4ever
Yeah, next Sunday's race won't be long, just hard. Cat 3 will probably only do 45 miles, but we'll have to do that hill 3 times. Ouch.

What are the main races in your season? We'll probably be at a lot of the same races over the year.
The main races in my season are all mountain bike races. Starting mid-April I will be concentrating on the mountain bike, don't know if I'll be doing more than one or two road races the rest of the year after that point.
Old 03-09-07, 09:08 AM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't think i can make it saturday, may not even be able to make it on sunday. i am being slowly strangled by a brief. (--> it turns out, if your lawyer falls asleep during your trial, he/she probably is not providing ineffective assistance of counsel and you are s.o.l. kinda bogus.) hopefully, i will be out to the acton/st. leon double next weekend though. my first race as a 4. should be fun. is hart gonna try to repeat his solo breakaway win at hueston woods?
Old 03-09-07, 09:14 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

I'm still doing everything I can to convince him to get back into racing. It isn't going to well. I try every weekend but he always has an excuse / reason.

Congrats on the cat up. How many races did you do as a 5?
Old 03-09-07, 09:16 AM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What I wouldn't give for 55 degrees and salt/sand free roads right now.
Old 03-09-07, 09:22 AM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i just did the 10 races, most of which were from last year. i wasn't super fit going into the season last year, i am feeling a lot stringer this year, but am a little concerned about the longer distances in the 4 races.
Old 03-09-07, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its going to be hilly. count me out, even though I live in athens and its the closest race next to wilksville.

Yes I live in athens and I can't climb (and powergraphs don't lie)
Old 03-09-07, 09:27 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
i just did the 10 races, most of which were from last year. i wasn't super fit going into the season last year, i am feeling a lot stringer this year, but am a little concerned about the longer distances in the 4 races.
I wish I was as strong or stronger than I was last year. I can't believe how weak I am this year. Taking those two months off (Nov, Dec) really hurt me. However, I peaked way too early last year so I believe this could be a good thing. By the time my season was over last year I didn't even want to set on a bike, never the less race one.
Old 03-09-07, 09:28 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by nitropowered
Its going to be hilly. count me out, even though I live in athens and its the closest race next to wilksville.

Yes I live in athens and I can't climb (and powergraphs don't lie)
Come on out and suffer with me, I need company at the back of the group.