Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Palm Coast Florida - any local advice please?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 12:32 PM
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,
I'm going to be in Palm Coast Florida in a few weeks, with an unscheduled weekend. I'm going to bring my road bike - I'm thinking of riding out Saturday for 75-100 miles, stay in a hotel, ride back Sunday. Any advice? Any local routes?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-07, 03:43 PM

Location: mostly flat florida though I do live near the ridge I have 200' foot elevation ride wich is rare!!

Bikes: El cheapo specials for road and Mtb and a GT bmx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A1A north comes to mind. US 1 is mainly high speed traffic more country type area. I would take A1A north to St Augustine there is lots of history and some nice BnB's along the way. Check out Marineland they need visitors. If you haven't seen the fort in St Augustine it's worth it. I don't remember if they have bike racks there or not. Its all flat just about anywhere in that area you could head inland but Its long lonely miles that way.
Old 03-15-07, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A1a?

Its been a long time since I was on A1A that far north, and I was riding a motorcycle, but I can't quite see riding my bicycle.

It was a high traffic, narrow road with no bike lane back then.

Has it changed?

NNY
Old 03-15-07, 03:11 PM

Location: mostly flat florida though I do live near the ridge I have 200' foot elevation ride wich is rare!!

Bikes: El cheapo specials for road and Mtb and a GT bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am talking A1A on the beachside not US 1. I have ridden A1A all the way from New Smyrna to Marineland with no real problem. Daytona is congested, but most drivers there see bikes and look out for them it has definately grown there if you haven't been in awhile!yes they repaved. Before anyone flames out yes I know you can't ride a straight shot from NSB to flagler county. You have to take a jog onto US 1 where on the three bridges across spruce creek you are definately taking things into your own hands!!! I used to ride to Daytona from NSB all the time as a kid on my hutch or redline 20" and the roads where alot skinnier then!!! Also look for Walter boardman on the map lots of tight blind turns stay sharp there people use it as a cut through speed limit is 25mph, Look up Fairchild oak Its in that area it is a giant Live Oak tree so massive the branches are so heavy they sag down and touch the ground I think it is off Old Dixie Hwy closer to beachside!! I definately agree with the other poster if he was refering to US-1 stay away from that madhouse, but A1A is different most people there do use bikes everyday to go to the store, ride to the beach, look at the Ladies, etc...