Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Just got my Damaged Frame.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-21-03, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just opened the box of my new frame, and to my dismay, the headtube is smashed. GOING BACK!

It's really a hassle because now I have to take it to the shipping location and wait even longer.

For those who don't know, I bought a $35 frame from Nashbar and I'm planning to build it up as a Single speed.

The quality isn't too bad. There is a spot on the seatube where the paint is rough, but also not too bad.

No stickers, I like that. It's steel, so definately NOT light.

No disc tabs. Wasn't planning on running discs anyways, but it does have tabs for a rear rack! This may become my commuter bike! Throw some 1.25 slicks on it!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-21-03, 09:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't mention, called Nashbar and they said, "No problem send it back and we'll credit your account or send another frame".

They're being pretty cool about it so, "No Complaints"......YET!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
Old 05-21-03, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
man that sucks!!!!!! but it's good that you can return it NQA and get a replacement with no hassel.
Old 05-21-03, 10:25 AM
Off like a prom dress...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you're having a better experience then anyone I know or anytime I have had to deal with them. I refuse to do business with Nashbar or Performance because it I have had problems with returning damaged items, I have gotten numerous damaged items from them, and recently it seemed like anytime I ordered something that was anywhere near a good price I would get an e-mail confirming it and then another telling me it was out of stock. This often resulted in them telling me that they would be more then happy to upgrade me to something more expensive, and giving me no discount or any incentive whatsoever. It's just easier to do business with places I know I can trust and have good customer service.

Good luck dealing with them, I hope it all turns out well for you!
Old 05-21-03, 10:27 AM
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Bummer.

Keep us posted. Did you happen to notice the rear axle spacing?
Old 05-21-03, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about the weight? > 6lbs?
Old 05-21-03, 11:34 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had very good experiences with Nashbar, alwasy got things fairly quickly nothing damaged so far and good prices. I did return somethign one time and no problems their either. Cambria I have not had one order with everything in stock yet, and I don't find out till i get it partial order delivered to my house so not ordering from them again.
Old 05-21-03, 11:37 AM
DiL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of Nashbar. They, unlike so many online vendors, have great customer service.

But selling someone a damage frame.... damage to this extent even, it makes me question my loyalty.
Old 05-21-03, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotta say, I've dealt with Performance (primarily) but also Nashbar, Excel Sports and Colorado Cyclist with only one minor complaint.

I ordered a 'combo' deal from Performance knowing that part of the combo was out of stock. I specifically asked if the other part (that was in stock) would be shipped with the rest of my order. The sales person said "Sure, no problem" or words to that effect. The order arrives...none of the stuff from the combo deal was there. I called to complain - they credited my Team Performance account with 1000 points ($10.00).

I've found Performance in particular to be very good about accepting returns regardless of the reason.

The only 'local' bike shop I genuinely trust is 70 miles away - literally. I support them but sometimes it's just much more practical to order.
Old 05-21-03, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the spacing, and due to me being at work, I do not have the venier caliper. I just used a standard ruler and converted, but I came up with 134.62 mm.

Weight? It's heavy, don't have a scale, but easily 6 lbs.

L8R
Old 05-21-03, 12:36 PM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a friend who bought the same frame last year and built it up SS. A bit heavy, but who cares for that price. Heard rumor that it is a Kona frame (overstock or production over run or something). Rear spacing is standard mtb, 135mm.

DiL - don't think they sold him a damaged frame. I'm pretty sure it was damaged in shipping.
Old 05-21-03, 12:44 PM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, my bet is it was bent during shipping. I seriously doubt a retailer like Nashbar would send out something like that.
Old 05-21-03, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with most everyone else in this thread. I really like Nashbar. The only LBSs around here are expensive and carry NO parts. If I want a part, I order it from Nashbar.

My only complaint with Nashbar is their website information. I usaully go to other websites to find more information on the parts because they don't have very good or detailed descriptions. I ALWAYS come back when I'm ready to order, though.

Draft
Old 05-21-03, 03:55 PM
DiL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where will you get the parts for the frame a2? Gonna hit some LBS bargain bins?
Old 05-21-03, 10:38 PM
Hucker Extraordinare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's Mail Order...

Jenson USA or Pricepoint is where it's at for me.

I've ordered from Colorado Cyclist, Jenson, Pricepoint, Nashbar, Go-Ride, and Performance... and outta all of them, I got the quickest service & the best prices with Jenson & Pricepoint.

Both sites are EASY to work with and find goods, and the selection is stellar.

Old 05-21-03, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame was definately damaged during shipping. I will say, the packing for the frame was pitiful. There was only some foam around the tubes, and it was loose in the box. You can see where the frame slid around and where either the box got dropped or something hit it. Right where the damage is, there is a hole in the box.

Yes, I did take pictures of the damage and the box in case they dispute the claim.

L8R
Old 05-22-03, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nashbar has great customer service. They forgot to ship something with an order and I got it the next day. A+
Old 05-22-03, 06:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was it shipped UPS?
Old 05-22-03, 07:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, not UPS, but USPS.

I'm not in any sort of dispute, I've just got to take it down and have it shipped back. Pay for shipping, and Nashbar reimburses me shipping charges.

I'm planning on doing that today at lunch. The worst part is that I waited a good week to get the frame, now I have to send it back, and wait another week for its' replacement.

L8R
Old 05-22-03, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just seems hard to believe that the frame could be so badly damaged in shipping. It would take alot of force to crush the head tube like that. They must have run over it with a truck or something!
Old 05-22-03, 09:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, I've seen it done lots of times when it's just a frame being shipped.

The frame drops into the box and the downtube goes to the bottom of the box, (so it's parrallel) and the top of the headtube is the part of the frame sticking out. Then, all you have to do, is put the box on its' end and drop it from any given distance. SMASH!

A good packer (not GB type) will tape a tall box to the underside of the frame so the frame sits in the box with the chainstays parrallel. Of course they also put a wee bit more packaging material in there!

This is the extent of what came with the frame. (see pic)
Old 05-22-03, 08:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pack at a warehouse, and if he packed it like that he was asking for trouble!