Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

How is the Burley D'lite with one small and 1 larger child?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 03-15-07, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, i'm sure this has come up before, so apologies if i'm repeating a thread.
i've recently bought a trailer for my 2 children (aged 7 months and 2 and a half). it's not a great trailer, particularly as the strap mechanism means that the are both tugging on a central strap. because they are so different is size (not so much different in weight), this seems to make it uncomfortable for them both.
having said that, i've decided that i'd like to continue using the trailer to get them to daycare, so i'm willing to invest ina better brand.

my questions are:

1. how does the burley d'lite copE with 2 very differently sized children
2. HOW ON EARTH do you get a 7 month old to KEEP HER HELMET ON********************?

thanks!!
eoconnnor
Old 03-15-07, 03:49 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by eoconnor
1. how does the burley d'lite copE with 2 very differently sized children
If it's like the Encore, it's a seperate 3 pt harness for each kid (2 shoulder straps connect to one crotch strap) plus a shared lap belt. Easy to resize the shoulder straps to suit the kid in question.

2. HOW ON EARTH do you get a 7 month old to KEEP HER HELMET ON********************?
Our older kid was fond of ratting out the younger when she would try to wriggle out. It doesn't hurt to get the helmet fitted at the store or wherever by people w/ a wide range of foam padding to jam in so at least it's not sliding off her head.
Old 03-15-07, 04:15 PM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding #2 - I don't know if there is a helmet that will really fit a 7-month-old. The best way for making them keep the lid on is to always make them wear it, and always make the trailer rides fun, so helmet = bike ride = fun. Easier said than done... my son started riding at about a year-and-a-half. #2 just turned one, and we've gone for some short spins, but no real rides...
Old 03-16-07, 08:21 AM
gearhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are helmets really necessary in a trailer? I recently bought a D'lite, and have been pulling my 4.5 month old around in it by securing her car seat in the trailer. Seems like with the rollbars, she's plenty protected. I wouldn't think a helmet would be necessary until she was out of the trailer on a trail-a-bike, or other.

thoughts?
Old 03-16-07, 11:55 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I don't helmet mine in the trailer.

Some parents won't go without, others will go without. Religion, politics and helmets. A few subjects I won't argue with strangers. Discuss yes, but not argue .
Old 03-16-07, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the manfacturers all seem to recommend them...but then they would. although, some kids in pictures in european brochures aren't wearning them. my 2.5 year old is ok with it as she wore one when she rode on the bike seat. i mostly cycle on footpaths and v quiet roads, so i think they dont really need them..... i suppose i feel under pressure from others to use them.
Old 03-16-07, 12:38 PM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I honestly don't feel like helmets are "necessary" in a bike trailer. I suppose they could protect the child more if you flipped the trailer or something hit it. The purpose of a helmet is to protect the head from an impact, right? I have flipped my trailer with a kid in it...

If the kid is strapped into a car seat, then, clearly, no helmet is needed. But most "experts" say kids shouldn't ride in trailers if they are under one year of age. Brains get scrambled by the bumps is the best explanation I've heard why. Again, I'm skeptical, but I have played it safe.

In many places, helmets are legally required, even in trailers. Also, they may be required by the spousal unit.
Old 03-16-07, 02:07 PM

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2005 Specialized Rockhopper, 1982 Nishiki Sport mixte converted to single speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, they are required in California. It seems completely ridiculous to me.
Old 03-17-07, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I honestly don't feel like helmets are "necessary" in a bike trailer. I suppose they could protect the child more if you flipped the trailer or something hit it. The purpose of a helmet is to protect the head from an impact, right? I have flipped my trailer with a kid in it...

If the kid is strapped into a car seat, then, clearly, no helmet is needed. But most "experts" say kids shouldn't ride in trailers if they are under one year of age. Brains get scrambled by the bumps is the best explanation I've heard why. Again, I'm skeptical, but I have played it safe.

In many places, helmets are legally required, even in trailers. Also, they may be required by the spousal unit.
Babies' neck muscles aren't strong enough to adequately support their heads when riding in a trailer.
Old 03-18-07, 08:18 AM
gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerFF
Babies' neck muscles aren't strong enough to adequately support their heads when riding in a trailer.
Right, which is why we use a car seat + trailer combo. She's reclined in the car seat which is securely strapped into the trailer... plenty of cusion, and I'd say the ride is even easier on her than some trips down rough roads in the car. Just have to be extra careful not to cross any bumps (even small ones) at speed... best to just cruise.