Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I had no idea...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

I had no idea...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 10:57 PM
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no idea...

my step-grandfather passed away this week. He was apparently a much larger advocate for our style of life than I was aware. It is scary how much his earlier life mirrors my current life. The Star Tribune and Pioneer Press both chose to do stories:

Corbin Kidder was a transit advocate
The environmental activist and DFL Party worker was 'raised and bred on the idea that you give back.'

Corbin Sherwood Kidder, tireless St. Paul transit activist, Minnesota Senior Federation volunteer and DFL Party member, died Sunday of pneumonia at age 84.

Driven by a desire for social justice and a concern for the environment, Kidder served for more than 30 years on Metro Transit's advisory committee on transit.

In his view, cars "destroyed the fabric of this nation," said family friend Tess Galati.

He advocated for transit as a way to reconnect communities and was "an inveterate bus rider who insisted that public transit routes be included in all meeting notices and who refused to attend meetings not accessible by public transit," Galati said.

For friends with travel plans, his favorite Christmas gift was to work out a route for them on the transit system of the cities they would visit.

Also a rail enthusiast, Kidder was stationmaster at the Minnehaha Depot in Minnehaha Park from 1984 until his death and also served as a volunteer trolley operator for the Minnesota Transportation Museum.

At the Minnesota Senior Federation, he was chairman of the transportation committee, a trustee and member of the board, and he served as a Vista volunteer. Senior Federation executive director Lee Graczyk remembers Kidder as a well-mannered, well-spoken gentleman who "was raised and bred on the idea that you give back."

As a Vista volunteer he worked with seniors on health problems, everything from the cost of prescription drugs to how to sign up for Medicare, Graczyk said. "Every time there was a new set of bus schedules, he made sure that they got in our lobby and made available to seniors."

Kidder was born in Madison, Wis., and raised on New York City's Staten Island, where he and his brother, Pete, took the famous ferry into the city and rode the subway.

"That was their Saturday afternoon matinee sort of thing," said his wife, Ann Meissner. "They would consider themselves travelers of the world."

As adults, they would "one up each other on which new transit system they had been on and what they had thought about it," she said.

Kidder graduated from Penn State University and did graduate work in industrial psychology at the University of Minnesota. During his career, he worked for Federal Cartridge Corp. and Honeywell Inc., and retired as a customer quality audit instructor at Unisys in St. Paul in 1981.

Kidder was an active member of the DFL Party and of the DFL Feminist Caucus. His son Jonathan said Kidder once drove U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone to Duluth for a campaign stop.

Kidder was a good cook and taught his five children to make healthful food. He also enjoyed photography.

Besides his wife and son Jonathan, he is survived by sons Paul of Brattleboro, Vt., and Jonathan (Jj) of Carrboro, N.C.; daughters Debbie McCloud of Bogalusa, La., Faith Kidder and Ellie Kidder of Minneapolis, and stepchildren Edie and John Meissner.

Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at St. Philip's Episcopal Church, at 457 Mackubin St., St. Paul.
Old 03-17-07, 11:32 PM

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner
Old 03-18-07, 12:56 AM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like a real interesting guy that didn't live an ordinary life.
Old 03-18-07, 08:16 AM
the bike made me do it

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the loss. Seems like his life was active and full of adventure. An inspiration to others.
Old 03-18-07, 08:28 AM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Very inspiring. I hope you continue in his footsteps.
Old 03-18-07, 02:59 PM
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah...sitting through his funeral made me wonder if I'm too passive of a transit/bike enthusiast.
Old 03-18-07, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
In his view, cars "destroyed the fabric of this nation," said family friend Tess Galati.

For friends with travel plans, his favorite Christmas gift was to work out a route for them on the transit system of the cities they would visit.

"Every time there was a new set of bus schedules, he made sure that they got in our lobby and made available to seniors."
Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing and I'm storing it in my hard drive.

This country will never see a person like this again because they were part of a generation that is dying off today and replaced by one that demands motor transport. He is absolutely correct in saying that cars destroyed the fabric of this nation and it's need for inexpensive oil may bring about its end. The middle east is a time bomb ready to explode.

I like the part where he would work out routes on the transit system for friends as Christamas gifts! That one brought out a smile on my face because I can't imagine someone doing that for me today. Seriously.
Old 03-19-07, 11:43 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
He must have been a great man, a visionary and a pioneer. People like him make our own carfree lives possible. My sympathy to you and your family.

"Think Outside the Cage"