Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

I'm so proud

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 07:53 PM
Shut up and pedal!

Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so proud

I went out for a racing-club coaching session this morning and during a double pace line, I got paired up with the coach. Anyway, we were chatting, and he asked me what Cat I race (5), and then replied, "Well from the looks of it you won't be a 5 for too long," implying my strength on the bike. I got into bike riding just about a year ago (March 14 of '06 to be exact) to help bring my body back from 9 months of chemotherapy, and I got hooked about a mile into my first ride. Now I'm gearing up for the season (I already have 1 race under my belt), and it felt great to receive a compliment like that from a coach I met for the first time today.
Old 03-21-07, 09:13 PM
faster than your mom

Bikes: R600, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Prophet w/ X0 components.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want a cookie? How about a star sticker? I'm just kidding. I too feel all childish, giddy, and happy inside when I get compliments.
Old 03-21-07, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Congrats Jo. Like you, I started riding for my health a couple of years ago. Never did I imagine back then that riding would be such an important part of who I am. We are all proud of you. Keep it up
Old 03-21-07, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, with your skill I'm guessing that within just 10 races you should be ready to upgrade to a 4!!

j/k. It's cool to have people say stuff like that.

--Steve
Old 03-21-07, 09:59 PM
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Pride is a sin though is it not? Anyway. Nothing wrong with a bit of pride around here. Congrats on being on a bike for a year and finding a positive way to progress especialy from Chemo.
Old 03-21-07, 10:57 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Could be a coach hoping to drum up more membership, but even that's a compliment if he wants you on his team, right?
Old 03-21-07, 11:12 PM
Pack fodder...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrat's ! On Sunday after my erratic pacing,riding off the front, and outclimbing the group on hills my coach said "You are gonna get SO dropped in races this year..."
Old 03-22-07, 03:07 AM
Shut up and pedal!

Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bodaciousguy
You want a cookie? How about a star sticker? I'm just kidding. I too feel all childish, giddy, and happy inside when I get compliments.
Yeah man, I kinda do want a cookie. I was giddy as a school girl.
Old 03-22-07, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by joshalope
Yeah man, I kinda do want a cookie. I was giddy as a school girl.
probably why the coach used that line on you.
Old 03-22-07, 04:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good for you! Im sure that felt awesome!!
Old 03-22-07, 04:06 AM
Peeled out too late

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got yelled at by DJ during that session for going too hard at the front. But I really like Dave Jordan's no-nonsense style. Really gets the point across.
Old 03-22-07, 06:20 AM
Shut up and pedal!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch. If you'll excuse me I'm gonna go hide under my table and sulk now.
Old 03-22-07, 06:23 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats, joshalope. Definitely something to be proud of. I remember feeling the same way the first time I got referred to as "one of the fast guys" on our club ride. Granted everything is relative and I'm not all that fast, but it still felt good.
Old 03-22-07, 08:49 AM
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of a weird compliment, considering you only have to START ten races to get out of Cat5, it's not like it requires skill or strength. But I think he meant well. I remember when a fit expert told me my thighs were so developed that I looked like I was riding knees in, when technically I wasn't.

Joshalope, do you have a handle on the good racing teams in Queens? Kissena looks good, any others? I'll likely be moving there this summer.
Old 03-22-07, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you enjoy racing and are successful with it. I also hope you have no need for any chemotherapy in the future.
Old 03-22-07, 09:25 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bodaciousguy
I'm not a big fan of cookies, how about some pie?
Old 03-22-07, 09:28 AM
Struggling at the Back

Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised how snarky some of the replies to the OP were. The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
Old 03-22-07, 09:44 AM
Shut up and pedal!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goodall
Kind of a weird compliment, considering you only have to START ten races to get out of Cat5, it's not like it requires skill or strength. But I think he meant well. I remember when a fit expert told me my thighs were so developed that I looked like I was riding knees in, when technically I wasn't.

Joshalope, do you have a handle on the good racing teams in Queens? Kissena looks good, any others? I'll likely be moving there this summer.
I'm new to Queens myself (since August) and most of the city cycling culture/pals that I have experience revolves around Manhattan (even the bike shops, because the 2 near my house suck). So far, riding in Queens has been solo. 2 Weeks ago though, I raced in a spring series event along with some guys from the Kissena club and spent some time hanging out with them after the race, they seem pretty cool, although I couldn't tell you more than that. My advice would be to join the Century Road Club Association (CRCA), and be on the lookout for sub-teams (which is what I've done). It's a racing club, not just a bike club, and you have access to all sorts of free coaching (like the stuff I had that sparked this thread). Or you can be the first member of my club,

"The Queens Tough Club" - Kings of the Road Since 1982

Anyway Queens is a neat place to cycle because depending on where you are, there is relatively easy access to Central Park for some quick loops if you're pressed for time, but you've also got access to Long Island for putting on some miles. I myself will go into New Jersey when I have a day free, which is really nice riding, and I know almost all the good bagel spots in Bergen County also. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll go riding. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens?
Old 03-22-07, 09:52 AM
Shut up and pedal!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I'm surprised how snarky some of the replies to the OP were. The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
Thanks for the ego-booster man. Although I must say that I kinda enjoy the proverbial cornucopia of snark on these forums. Keeps me on my toes. Plus I can only assume that in BikeForums, as in life, those who are most sarcastic tend to be so in an effort to compensate for something they lack (lactic threshold, endurance or perhaps penile capabilities?)
Old 03-22-07, 09:55 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you, especially after having to come back from chemo treatments, something that seemed to be lost to many in reply.
Old 03-22-07, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Josh,
Welcome to the CRCA. Are you racing on Saturday?
Old 03-22-07, 10:27 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostman
The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
+ 1,000,000,000,000.
Old 03-22-07, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshalope
I'm new to Queens myself (since August) and most of the city cycling culture/pals that I have experience revolves around Manhattan (even the bike shops, because the 2 near my house suck). So far, riding in Queens has been solo. 2 Weeks ago though, I raced in a spring series event along with some guys from the Kissena club and spent some time hanging out with them after the race, they seem pretty cool, although I couldn't tell you more than that. My advice would be to join the Century Road Club Association (CRCA), and be on the lookout for sub-teams (which is what I've done). It's a racing club, not just a bike club, and you have access to all sorts of free coaching (like the stuff I had that sparked this thread). Or you can be the first member of my club,

"The Queens Tough Club" - Kings of the Road Since 1982

Anyway Queens is a neat place to cycle because depending on where you are, there is relatively easy access to Central Park for some quick loops if you're pressed for time, but you've also got access to Long Island for putting on some miles. I myself will go into New Jersey when I have a day free, which is really nice riding, and I know almost all the good bagel spots in Bergen County also. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll go riding. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens?

Thanks for the info, the Queens Tough Club is a totally bada-- name, i'm going to have to steal that! I'm trying to get a job with city in transportation or transit, which have a lot of operations in Long Island City. My wife paints and LIC has a lot of studio space, so we want to live close by, like maybe in Sunnyside? I really don't know that much about the neighborhoods. Just somewhere somewhat cheap, somewhat safe, and lots of immigrants. Do you have any recommendations? I'm psyched to get out to Kissena, from what little track racing I've done I much prefer it to road racing. I'll definitely PM you once I get out there.
Old 03-22-07, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goodall
I really don't know that much about the neighborhoods. Just somewhere somewhat cheap, somewhat safe, and lots of immigrants.
That's all of Queens.
Forest Hills is very safe and close to the Kissena Velodrome. It's not the cheapest part of Queens, but it's no where near Manhattan prices either.
Old 03-22-07, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deyendznyr
That's all of Queens.
Forest Hills is very safe and close to the Kissena Velodrome. It's not the cheapest part of Queens, but it's no where near Manhattan prices either.
I've got a friend who's lived in Rego Park her whole life, that's like right next to Forest Hills. I'll have to give her a call, that could be a good halfway point between Manhattan and the Velodrome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.