Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

anyone ride an aerospoke rear?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

did a search for this topic but haven't found much in the way of reviews. so it looks like aerospoke is reproducing their track hubs, has anyone ridden one? i'd like to know what it's like to skid on it, how well it responds/rides, etc...the best part of the new designs, imo, is the phil wood hex-style axle nuts. lets keep this thread positive by holding off on the "composite wheels are for hipsters" comments, yes? thanks all-
Old 03-23-07, 06:02 PM
Oh god it hurts!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't know much about them but i think they are some sort of fiber reinforced plastic; not monocoque carbon fiber like hed or specialized wheels. i saw a test sheldon did on stiffness of a large cross-section of wheels and the aerospoke had by far the most flex. i take this to mean that you can abuse it a little more than similar wheels and it is more likely to rebound to its original trueing. aerodynamics are an obvious plus but if you're wearing a hoodie, jeans and a mess. bag don't even bother talking about aero. i think they're heavy as well but no experience.

if it's the case that it makes for a more durable and flexable wheel i see no reason not to ride one on the street.
Old 03-23-07, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-lie
if it's the case that it makes for a more durable and flexable wheel i see no reason not to ride one on the street.
Yeah that's just about how I feel about em too.
Old 03-23-07, 06:42 PM
slot machine

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aerospoke wheels are pretty rad looking... i'd ride one if i had the ten billion dollars
Old 03-23-07, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is pure speculation, but i'm guessing the added weight will make resisting and skidding harder than with a spoked wheel. more angular momentum to combat.
Old 03-23-07, 07:35 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
hipsters ftw
Old 03-23-07, 08:42 PM

Bikes: building up a Puch fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omg Say It One More Time. Common Do It Say Hipsters Just One More ****ing Time Common Do It Do It!!!!!!
Old 03-23-07, 09:03 PM
dan bones!

Bikes: iro mark v for street, sh itamori peloton for track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the way i see it, aerospokes weigh only a little more than the miche/deep v setup i've got right now. phils to deep v's are somewhere in between, i think.

and since the weight is more evenly distributed from the outer rim to the hub, i can only assume the rotational momentum will feel almost the same. there's actually a good chance that it'll be less, especially if you take their drag resistance claim to heart.

and here's where i really go out on a limb: i get the feeling the number of times you get sexed up will increase if you've got an aerospoke and you're cool with cheap dates, but that's just me and i've got a reputation for sluttin' it up. again, just goin' out on a limb here.

and i apologize to the OP for not accurately answering any of your questions, but if you get an aerospoke...y'know, call me.

*quacker! what's the deal in bed/stuy tonight?!
Old 03-23-07, 11:49 PM

Bikes: schwinn suburban conversion with chopped risers LOLZ!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a guy at the track with aerospokes front and rear, had a smile on his face, seemed happy. And no, he wasn't some young ironic dooshbag.
Old 03-24-07, 12:19 AM
make way for the MGL

Bikes: khs aero track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youth
aerospoke wheels are pretty rad looking... i'd ride one if i had the ten billion dollars
a wheelset only clocks in at about $550... on par with phils
Old 03-24-07, 01:53 AM
www.fauxbots.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on my geared tt byke!
Old 03-24-07, 06:16 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by endo shi
I saw a guy at the track with aerospokes front and rear, had a smile on his face, seemed happy. And no, he wasn't some young ironic dooshbag.
aerospokes specifically?

When talking about durability keep in mind how easy it is to true a traditionally spoked wheel compared to an aerospoke too.
Old 03-24-07, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my girlfriend rides an aerospoke for her rear wheel, and i put it on my bike every once in a while. it is kind of heavy but since its where your power is it doesnt really matter. it is maybe a fraction slower to get started from a dead standstill but that depends on how strong you are if its going to matter. they are fun to skid on and look sick while doing it. there is a a spot on the side of the hub where a wrench goes and everyonce in a while you have to tighten up the hub( not sure of the correct terminology). but thats the only problem weve had wth it. if you want one just do it. its just money, youll make more.
Old 03-24-07, 10:09 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by technicssor
. it is kind of heavy but since its where your power is it doesnt really matter.
huh?
Old 03-24-07, 10:15 AM
keep it pretend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know people who ride them front and rear or either/or.
ultimately, they seem to prefer HEDs or traditionally spoked wheels.

aerospokes are quite weighty.
Old 03-24-07, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. it is kind of heavy but since its where your power is it doesnt really matter.

what i meant was that the rear wheel is connected to the chain which is connected to your big gear which is connected to your crank which is connected to your foot which is where your power is because it is connected to your body. as opposed to having one up front, in which you have to push it with your rear wheel. does this make sense dutret? and yes i like my traditional spoked wheel better.
Old 03-24-07, 05:43 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by technicssor

what i meant was that the rear wheel is connected to the chain which is connected to your big gear which is connected to your crank which is connected to your foot which is where your power is because it is connected to your body. as opposed to having one up front, in which you have to push it with your rear wheel. does this make sense dutret? and yes i like my traditional spoked wheel better.
Well I at least understand what you are saying now but that of course is a completely meaningless observation.
Old 03-24-07, 09:43 PM

Bikes: 1985 Bridgestone 450, 1992 Trek 930 (SS Conversion), 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quacker
Omg Say It One More Time. Common Do It Say Hipsters Just One More ****ing Time Common Do It Do It!!!!!!

Common do it?
Old 03-24-07, 11:15 PM
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 03-25-07, 02:45 AM
Fast and Danger

Bikes: A bunch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy seems pretty happy with his.

Old 03-25-07, 10:25 AM
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^ i saw a video of that bike. the guy holding the bike rides on top of a blockabe. its pretty cool considering the guy doesn't wear clips and straps
Old 03-25-07, 11:36 AM
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't somebody just post about a "study" or at least anecdotal evidence that heavier wheels make it easier to climb because you've got that much more momentum working in your advantage?

Also, is it even possible to true Aerospokes, or are you just kind of ****ed forever if they go out of true?
Old 03-25-07, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can't true aerospokes, but they dont just go out of true. You have to smash em up.
Old 03-26-07, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the helpful replies, that dude in the video above isn't actually riding one of the new rear track wheels, its an older road aerospoke that he tinkered with and made it into a track. anyway, i guess i'm more interested in how they skid and if the weight really affects it. i've ridden aerospokes in several of my bikes, including road, and love them. while quite a bit heavier than most wheels, and sometimes even wheelSETS, they literally take everything you can throw at them. case in point: one of my buddies had an accident where his bike got pulled under a BUS. frame was fuc*ed, aerospoke survived with hardly a scratch to the body. homie just replaced the hub and it was back on the road. yeah, you can't true them, but you probably won't ever have to. finally, aerospoke has a dope warranty policy wherein you can exchange a beaten up aerospoke for a brand new one for 150 bones.

again, thanks for the help everyone- keep those rear reviews coming
Old 04-05-07, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 2006 bianchi Pista, 1970's Raleigh Grand prix Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok hooked up my new rear Track Aerospoke "Thanks Jake @ O20" then rode 15 miles this morning along the LA river.
Seriously its like spinning a medicine ball there is a huge difference between a Normal wheel and these things it was literally the best training session ever.
Its a great wheel... once you get it going, plus it makes a strange wooping sound when you get up to speed which is a great incentive.
But for the stopping and starting of street riding I'm going to drop my chainring size down from 48x16 as stopping this thing is quite a challenge it just wants to keep going... Red lights mean nothing to this wheel! but I can't afford anymore $300 tickets... so there's a few pro's and con's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.