Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

S&S Ti vs S&S steel

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

S&S Ti vs S&S steel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S&S Ti vs S&S steel

I am currently thinking about getting an S&S bike for travel. I will most likely go with steel because of cost but was wondering about the benefits of Ti. What would the weight difference be between a straight gauge Ti vs a butted Steel coupled bike for a 60 cm frame? I like the idea of a bare Ti frame for travel because it would have no paint to chip or scratch. It also will never rust. Is one more dent resistant than the other? Any other benefits or thoughts?
Old 03-28-07, 12:09 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know enough about it. The material is about 2/3rd the weight of steel and strong. It has a positive and negative reputation for compliance, some say it absorbs road vibe, others find it sways or shimmies. If you are talking about a touring bike you just aren't going to get much overall reduction in weight due to the proportion that something like 1 pound might represent.

Right at the moment, with war based demand in the system Ti is doubling every time I price something. In the extreme you might find a serious builder using a straight gage piece if 4130 with a sleeve, on a custom steel bike; cost, 4 bucks. Seat tube in Ti straight stock, not butted 52.50, price a few months ago, in the 30s. Butted nova, about 15.

There is someone on the touring forum who has posted on a Ti Gordon touring bike they are very happy with.