Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ranking Vintage Bike Manufacturers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-28-07, 07:35 PM
x37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How would you rank the different vintage bicycle companies? For instance, generally speaking, which is better: Trek or Miyata? Raleigh or . . . ? I realize that ranking bikes in this way is very subjective, but I want to get a better idea of what to look for in the vintage market. Thanks.
Old 03-28-07, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gitane has the most TdF wins, so in my ranking it's first
Old 03-28-07, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go: 1; Bruce Gordon, 2; Miyata, 3; Raleigh. Sure there are lots of others, these I have ridden a lot. The Raleigh was as a teenager. Yes, Gordon is vintage, got to his site and look at some of his lugged frames. Extreme eye candy.
Old 03-28-07, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The problem is comparing builders vs. manufacturers. I think one has to keep the classes separate. That and over time, perhaps by decade.
Old 03-28-07, 09:49 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
It depends on one's application (e.g. loaded touring vs. long-distance road racing vs. criterium), body proportions (e.g. long torso, long legs, etc.), aesthetic tastes (e.g. plain and clean vs. ornate), and desire for uniqueness vs. a well-known pretigious marque. If you want a vintage racing bike, you can't go wrong with any of the first-tier Italian names, such as DeRosa, Cinelli, Masi, or even the oldest brand out there, Bianchi. For head-turning appearance, there is arguably nothing like a Hetchins with the curvy stays.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-28-07, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
If you learn how to spot quality, it will not matter who made it.
Old 03-28-07, 11:21 PM

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn, Holdsworth, Raleigh, Cannondale, Trek . . . because I don't yet own any other brand.
Old 03-29-07, 07:27 PM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Professional, 1997 Milano 3v, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey, 2007 Surly Crosscheck, 1984 Hutch Pro Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
If you learn how to spot quality, it will not matter who made it.
This is the truth.

There are plenty of undervalued, or under regarded bikes out there merely because they have a particular brand on them. Conversely, there are plenty of over valued/regarded bikes out there merely because they have "531" on the seat tube or "Campagnolo" on the dropouts.

It's all about the workmanship and quality of that frame, brand names shouldn't really enter into it until later.

I'm the proud owner of a quite well regarded frame that is certainly "top tier". It has crooked downtube shifter posts, and an improperly aligned front derailleur braze on.

This is a touchy subject for me.
Old 03-30-07, 01:26 AM
x37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snordalisk
This is the truth.

There are plenty of undervalued, or under regarded bikes out there merely because they have a particular brand on them. Conversely, there are plenty of over valued/regarded bikes out there merely because they have "531" on the seat tube or "Campagnolo" on the dropouts.

It's all about the workmanship and quality of that frame, brand names shouldn't really enter into it until later.
I'm new to the vintage bike market and I'm just trying to get a general idea of which brands and models to look for and which to avoid. I do most of my browsing on eBay and Craigslist, so I cannot inspect every bike in person to judge the workmanship.

If you feel certain brands are under or overvalued, I would love to hear about them.
Old 03-30-07, 02:17 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a big fan of anything hand built in England. That's usually enough for me.
Old 03-30-07, 04:22 AM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toy store bikes: Huffy, Murry, Ross, Free Spirit
Old 03-30-07, 09:15 AM
PRD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smoked Chrome

I think Austro Daimler's smoked chromed models are very special.
Old 03-30-07, 11:17 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Just too many variables. As an extreme example, I'd take a Ben Serotta built Huffy, over any Raliegh ever built. The very top of almost any brand would be better quality than mediocre to bottom examples from some very good brands.
Old 03-30-07, 11:46 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Schwinn is in!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-30-07, 11:54 AM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Duh. Everyone knows that the Nishiki International with full Suntour is the highwater mark of civilization. And not that fancy pantsy double butted stuff. One butt is all that a person needs.
Old 03-30-07, 01:21 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Duh. Everyone knows that the Nishiki International with full Suntour is the highwater mark of civilization. And not that fancy pantsy double butted stuff. One butt is all that a person needs.
Oh, I think I've got one of those. Well, maybe. I'm not certain of the components. And I'm not certain how many butts it's got. But I do know it's an International .Bigbossman knows what it's got. I'm looking forward to riding it in a few weeks.

East Hill
Old 03-30-07, 01:29 PM
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sammyboy--

Got a 58 Carlton, myself. All Campy, too.
Old 03-30-07, 01:30 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oooh, that's bragging. Where are the pics?

East Hill
Old 03-30-07, 02:02 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
It's pretty hard to rate different manufacturers since alot of them make different levels of bike frames. That said, I'm pretty impressed with the workmanship on all my vintage bikes.
1985 Trek 520
1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2
1989 Pinarello Montello
Old 03-30-07, 05:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snordalisk
This is the truth.

I'm the proud owner of a quite well regarded frame that is certainly "top tier". It has crooked downtube shifter posts, and an improperly aligned front derailleur braze on.

This is a touchy subject for me.

Well said!

Tom
Old 03-30-07, 05:48 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Do we have to rank 'em? Given the startling variety of bike and personal tastes, this is almost impossible. There are many excellent bike manufacturers I don't know squat 'bout and thus am unqualified to rank.

Unless you're talking value. Then , I dunno, Rene Herse, Alex Singer, after that some Italian dudes, maybe.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-30-07, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, there is a school of thought which holds that Italian built racing bikes are superior to all others, while Italian built racing bikes are all essentially identical to one another. There is some merit to this school, IMO.

OTOH, there were/are custom builders from a number of countries that turned out superior work -- Mario Confente, Rene Herse, Claud Butler, Ugo DeRosa, etc. As far as I am concerned, any of their products are technically superior to the "mass production" frames put out the Italians or anyone else. Nishiki? Raleigh? Please...

As far as I concerned, the very finest frames ever made, at least in terms of worksmanship, are being made right now, right here, in the shops of Brian Bayliss, Peter Weigle, Richard Sachs, Peter Mooney, and a number of others. I know that doesn't go to the thread question, but it should be said!

IMO: If it's Italian and made with Columbus SL or SLX, it's a good frame. If it's British and made with the above tubing or Reynolds 531 or higher, it's probably good. (Raleigh, IMO, never made anything beyond barely acceptable, and a lot that falls below that. I know that ruffles feathers. Sorry.)

If it's French it's a tossup. You simply have to know not just your names, but the individual variations within the name -- ie. you can buy a very good Gitane made with SL, and you can by a Gitane made with SL that's a total piece of crap, and it's very hard to know which is which. If it's a Herse or a Singer, it's a great frame, bottom line.

American? Trek made a good if undistinguished frame. Keep an eye out for the better makes of tubing -- low end tubing makes low end bikes, bottom line. Pretty much anything from any custom builder is going to be very good.

Japan? Very little of it is outstanding. San Rensho (3 Rensho) is excellent. Nagasawa is amazing. Fuji made some decent stuff but nothing to wet the bed about. Most of it is passable, like upper end Nishiki, Centurion, etc., and a lot of it is complete crap. The only way to really learrn it is to look at a bunch of it and let price be your guide. Nobody's gonna drop a bunch of money on a Miyata, and there's a reason for that. Especially learn to closely examine lugs, particularly around the seat cluster. Good quality frames will have nicely filed and thinned lugswhich taper down to the tubing. Lower end lugs will be more abrupt and square, and bottom end stuff will look like the plumbing in your house -- perfectly round lug ends with no shape, and often clumps of brazing material at the joint.

I'd start with the list at Classic Rendezvous and go from there. https://www.classicrendezvous.com/main.htm
Old 03-30-07, 11:20 PM
x37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Six jours -- thanks for the info. That's exactly the sort of guidance I am looking for. Just a place to start.
Old 03-30-07, 11:38 PM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know what you classify as a "bunch", but my definitions of a "bunch" - I'd drop a bunch for certain miyatas.

Back to the original question - it's incredibly vague. Are you talking about say road bikes? Mountain bikes? Cruisers? What era are you wanting to know about? Some further defining of the question is needed if you're going to get any sort of adequate answer.

I mean I could say that Overman is better than Pope - but this opinion probably would mean nothing to you, since you probably want to know about newer vintage bikes...
Old 03-31-07, 09:26 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Japan? Very little of it is outstanding. San Rensho (3 Rensho) is excellent. Nagasawa is amazing. Fuji made some decent stuff but nothing to wet the bed about. Most of it is passable, like upper end Nishiki, Centurion, etc., and a lot of it is complete crap. The only way to really learrn it is to look at a bunch of it and let price be your guide. Nobody's gonna drop a bunch of money on a Miyata, and there's a reason for that. Especially learn to closely examine lugs, particularly around the seat cluster. Good quality frames will have nicely filed and thinned lugswhich taper down to the tubing. Lower end lugs will be more abrupt and square, and bottom end stuff will look like the plumbing in your house -- perfectly round lug ends with no shape, and often clumps of brazing material at the joint.
Toei... The Rene Herse or Alex Singer of Japan. Expect to pay the same as well! In business for a long time and still makes bikes the old fashioned way...

https://www.generalworks.com/toeisha/...allery_eg.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.