Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trying to lose weight cycling

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 06:51 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts

Hi All,

I am new to the BF and am as the title of the forum suggests a Clydesdale. I am 5' 11" and as of this morning my wieght is 252. I am currently on the Nutrisystem Program which I like a lot as it is working. I started the program a month ago and have gone from 270+ to my current weight. I purchased a new bike last week to help get myself back in shape. The nutrisystem is helping me to make the changes in my eating habits that I need to make to get the weight off and then keep it off. The cycling should help to tone everything up and help the cardio. Here is my new bike....

Have a great day!
John
Old 04-01-07, 07:52 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JRD
Hi All,

I am new to the BF and am as the title of the forum suggests a Clydesdale. I am 5' 11" and as of this morning my wieght is 252. I am currently on the Nutrisystem Program which I like a lot as it is working. I started the program a month ago and have gone from 270+ to my current weight. I purchased a new bike last week to help get myself back in shape. The nutrisystem is helping me to make the changes in my eating habits that I need to make to get the weight off and then keep it off. The cycling should help to tone everything up and help the cardio. Here is my new bike....

Have a great day!
John
Welcome aboard, John!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-01-07, 11:45 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm between 5'11'' and 6' and also started at 270. I didn't use any specific diet, since I either lack the discipline or enjoy the vice - whatever. I lost 50 lbs on a bike, but it took about 100 to 150 miles/week. No slacking on the speed, either. I joined a local bike club that and eventually found a group that was about my age and rode like a bunch of stampeding elephants - that is, loud grunting, shouting, and trumpeting. The weight began to drop fairly fast, and I got freakishly strong.

I'm 51, and it's gratifying to be able to keep up with, and quite often dominate, much younger poseurs on sub-20lb bikes, when I usually ride a 30lb roadified MTB or a 27lb tour machine, plus some baggage on the back.

Welcome, and I wish you the best results!
Old 04-01-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Welcome and fun on the new ride. Those are nice machines.

Old 04-01-07, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

I started at 250+ riding my '06 7.3FX, down to ~195 after 1750 trouble free miles. I just replaced the chain and cassette (waited too long to replace the chain I'd been sitting on for the last couple of months, hence the need for the cassette) but have done nothing other than general maintenance otherwise.
Old 04-01-07, 08:39 PM
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started at 297 and now I'm 236. No magic here eat better and exercise. Welcome and good riding!!

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 04-01-07, 08:58 PM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the kind responses.

Have a great week!
John
Old 04-01-07, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started last june at about 265 (I wasn't too interested in weighting myself back then), and as of this morning I was 202.5. (Actually, as of today, I've oficially lost a full person - granted that is my 8 year old nephew, but still - I've lost a person!). And my legs too have become somewhat freakish looking, at least to me.

At any rate, do it right and build up to long rides, have fun, and that weight will absolutely come off, no problem.

Gabriel
Old 04-01-07, 10:27 PM

Bikes: giant ocr2 carbon, raleigh 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
let's see them legs!! bet mine are weirder....

cole
Old 04-01-07, 10:30 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JRD - Nice ride, I bought a blue one a couple months ago! I've been loving it, had MTB's all my life before this, and... wow. My average speed has skyrocketed.

Curious, did you get the blue or the black 7.3FX? I have a blue one and.. it's just too "pretty". Almost wish I would have gotten the black so I'd beat up on it a little more .

Enjoy the bike, two things I will warn about are the wheels and the saddle. The wheels don't like having loose spokes, and the saddle.. well.. it's a hatchet. I'm in the market for a new one right now.

Other than that.. it's a rocket .
Old 04-02-07, 06:05 AM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Nice bike. And welcome.

The factor that influenced my weight loss the most was eating less and eating healthier. The bike helps some, but started loosing weight by diet modification before I really got into cycling. The cycling was just "icing on the cake," so to speak.
Old 04-02-07, 12:57 PM
JRD

Originally Posted by bdinger
JRD - Nice ride, I bought a blue one a couple months ago! I've been loving it, had MTB's all my life before this, and... wow. My average speed has skyrocketed.

Curious, did you get the blue or the black 7.3FX? I have a blue one and.. it's just too "pretty". Almost wish I would have gotten the black so I'd beat up on it a little more .

Enjoy the bike, two things I will warn about are the wheels and the saddle. The wheels don't like having loose spokes, and the saddle.. well.. it's a hatchet. I'm in the market for a new one right now.

Other than that.. it's a rocket .
I got the black one.

Thanks!
John
Old 04-02-07, 01:04 PM
Big Meanie Head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also losing weight by cycling and diet improvements. I use sparkpeople.com to track calories consumed and burned. I've been real picky about what i'll put in my mouth - nutrient dense, low in crap. And I've gone from 265 at Thanksgiving to 206 this morning. Initially shooting for 185, an then I'll get a proper body fat assessment done before going any further.