Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

whats the difference?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats the difference?

i'm putting my bike back together and i am gonna buy some new rims but whats the difference between seal and unsealed wheel hubs? whats better? do i need to buy anything extra?
Old 05-29-03, 03:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest sealed hubs. The seals keep dirt and stuff out of the bearings. This cuts down alot on bike maintenance. Trust me, you would be alot happier with sealed hubs.
Old 05-29-03, 09:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48 spokes and double walled
Old 06-07-03, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best rims 0desi hazard lite rims
Old 06-16-03, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sealed hubs wont get blown out and dont need as much maintenance as unsealed. if your just getting back into the sport though you probably dont need to drop the extra cash on sealed hubs. dixsin142hs its spelled odyssey
Old 06-26-03, 09:43 AM
Madman of Princeton

Bikes: Cove G-Spot w/ Marzocchi Super T, Bombshell DH wheelset, and Hayes Mechs (the brakes which I hope to soon replace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigger is stronger: wider rims, more spokes

and yes, sealed is better than unsealed, but if your on a budged and dont race or jump dirt unsealed is probably cool
Old 06-29-03, 08:17 PM
Apot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mr spar is wrong on wider rims being better. take a look at sun ringle doublewides. 45mm wide. not very deep. now look at where the spokes hit the rim, all in the middle or very close to the middle, provididing very little support for the outters of the rim, this allows the rim to roll back on itself, not very strong if you ask me. also, the rim is very shallow providing little structurtal stabilitity to keep the rim round, easy to flatspot. the strongest fr/dh rims on the market are intense mag30s, arrow dhs, atomlab trailpimps, none of them are that wide and they are all a lot deeper. these are much stronger.

the more spokes are generally stronger, but much heavier. you choose.
Old 07-18-03, 07:43 PM
Madman of Princeton

Bikes: Cove G-Spot w/ Marzocchi Super T, Bombshell DH wheelset, and Hayes Mechs (the brakes which I hope to soon replace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm everyone knows who mr spar is dont they (thats me), and when did i say wider is better? I just said stronger. Making false inferences is a major problem in todays society...
Old 07-19-03, 04:54 PM
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
narrow rims on a bmx bike will bend VERY quickly in comparison to wider rims. the sidewalls of the rim should've EVER roll back on themselves if you're running the right tire pressure. most modern BMX rims have enormous sidewalls, allowing for brake pad adjustability and making them that much stronger. mountain bikes are different from BMX bikes. a BMX typically will have about 90psi per tire, whereas a standard freeride/downhill will have around 40-60psi, somtimes more, sometimes less. the 90psi keeps the rim protected from most situations that will cause a flat spot.