Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Kona Caldera vs. Kula

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Kona Caldera vs. Kula

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Caldera vs. Kula

Hi all,

I'm just starting to get into mountain biking and am looking to buy my first bike (I've just been borrowing friends bikes up to this point).

I'm looking for a hard tail Cross Country/Back Country bike that'll last me many years.

I've shopped around and the 2 bikes that I've like the best are the Kona Caldera ($1049) and Kona Kula ($1349). The Kula has better parts, but I just wanna know if its worth the extra 300.

The biggest difference that I can see between these bikes is the fork, the Kula has a better fork with Rebound control. Is rebound control a big issue? Is it something that a beginner or intermediate rider would use or is it more of an expert thing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The specs. for each bike are here:

https://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/KULA/index.html
https://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/CALDERA/index.html
Old 04-02-07, 08:28 PM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the step up from the Caldera to the Kula also provides you with a different frame. Up to the Caldera, most of the hard tails in that line are the same frame with differing levels of components. As I recall, though, the Kula provides you with a lighter frame plus better components. As far as if it's worth it... if you can afford the extra $300, yes it is worth it. If you cannot, then the Caldera is a nice bike as well.
Old 04-02-07, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the caldera is made to take more abuse (wheight more) than the kula not to say that the kula wont
Old 04-02-07, 10:15 PM
Bike Addict

Bikes: Kona Kula Primo 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kula for sure. Better components + lighter frame = more reliable + quicker climing = more fun. Plus, you could race that frame if you feel like it after a while. But I have a Kula Primo so I'm biased =P