Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Great commute except $%#&&*^ glass and grape vine

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 07:07 AM

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE.

well today was my first day on the MUP , ive been riding my alternate route (4 lane).

The first 2 /3rds of my 19 mile trip on the MUP was great its along the river lots of critters even a swan this morning I normaly dont see any in our part of NY , 2 big Woody wood peckers (pileated) , no traffic lights no diesel fumes the ride was great UNTILL,

UNTILL I got to the last section of my ride then every single underpass (there are 3) , all 3 were loaded with glass, not an occasional bottle that broke but a %&%##$@#$ Mine field even all through the Tunnels.

To top it off the some a_ _ Hole took a large grapvine and tied it across the MUP at the bottom of a hill
(I moved it)

cant win!

No flats , I stopped and walked through each tunnel and at 2 crossings where they had glass all over on both sides of the road.

have a great day

"John"

Last edited by JOHN J; 04-03-07 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-03-07, 08:19 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes!!!!! That grapevine could kill someone. You know, I've been temped to strap a small broom to my bike backpack (it has a place for it too, though meant for trekking poles) to do some regular "trail maintenance" on the Hudson Greenway. Too much @#$%ing glass. It doesn't cause problems with the mighty Marathon tires on my folder but on the road bike...
Old 04-03-07, 08:43 AM

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could do some sweeping,

Its just ashame, esP if some younger kid gets a flat and no way to repair it.

"John"
Old 04-03-07, 08:46 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like it was deliberate sabotage of the MUP. Broken glass in the darkness of an overpass and a vine strung across the MUP to catch some fast moving cyclists. I'd report it to the agency in charge of MUP maintenance and the police.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 04-03-07, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some glass on the MUP on my ride in yesterday too. Many broken bottles under a bridge. Where in NY are you located?
Old 04-03-07, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By Albany I commute from Schenectady to Watervliet. the bad section of the mohawk hudson bikeway is the Cohoes NY section.

"John"
Old 04-03-07, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Sounds like it was deliberate sabotage of the MUP. Broken glass in the darkness of an overpass and a vine strung across the MUP to catch some fast moving cyclists. I'd report it to the agency in charge of MUP maintenance and the police.
NO Dought, Good Idea Ill make a few calls.

"John"
Old 04-03-07, 09:38 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN J
NO Dought, Good Idea Ill make a few calls.

"John"
I meant to mention that myself. I once wrote a letter complaining about conditions on the Greenway and got a decent letter back, though after a long delay. Conditions are much improved (some sections have been completely repaved / rerouted) so I wonder if others wrote letters too, and such letters make a difference?
Old 04-03-07, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My MUP is maintained pretty well (mechanically speaking) I noticed many of the Big frost heaves were cut out and filled back in or criss cross patterns cut in them .

I noticed many frost heaves had official paint markings for upcomming work.

also I was suprised to see that a 1 mile section that was stone dust and gravel has now been paved.
(I loved riding the stone dust for some reason)

The criminal /vandal element with regards to all the glass is the big headache. Looks like our area has some decent money for MUP (Bikeway) improvement/maintanance but already some towns are crying poverty even though they were given pretty fat checks One town north of where I ride was given $800K for trail improvments and approved /speced out paving for many miles , now there back peddaling and want to only lay down stone dust as thats all they can afford.

what happend to the $$

"John"
Old 04-03-07, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN J
... loaded with glass, not an occasional bottle that broke but a %&%##$@#$ Mine field ...
This is why I have Kevlar tires. Though there is only one tunnel for my trip (under Lake Shore Drive in Chicago) the Lakefront Bike path can and does often have broken glass near the Ohio St. Beach.

I have the Schwalbe Big Apple tires and I love them. They're fat, bouncy and Kevlar. I still avoid glass when I can, but if I have to roll over it (or other nasty road bits like sharp rocks, again near the Ohio St. Beach) I don't sweat it.