Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-03, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some help with shocks

Hey guys. I just got a mountin bike from a friend and love riding it. Altho i think its nothing to the ones some people have here, its a pacific reflex. Ill post some pics when i get batt for my digi cam. Now while i was riding it, i hit a kinda hard bump and herd a click from the shocks. Now everytime i go over a bump it makes the click. I then called pacific they told me to take apart my old one send it in and they send me a brand new one. Installing it back was harder then i thought, im confused can you guys please help me. I have tried reading the manual which is no help. The people at pacific seem not to know how to so im really counting on you guys to help me. I think i have all the pieces i need just need help on what goes where. PLease explain it in simplist terms so that i can understand it better. THanks all

Last edited by TheOnlySavior; 05-31-03 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 11:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the prob i have now is the crown race. I think i have a crown race but i cant seem to get it to the bottom of the fork because i have to screw it down the fork which stops about half way down? Is this the crown race or another piece? It does look like the piece in the man but i cant get it to go all the way down??? Please i really need helps guys. I will try to post a pic of the piece i have. I also saw some web site that had a how to but they didnt really go into the crown race!!!
Old 05-30-03, 11:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here it is

Last edited by TheOnlySavior; 05-31-03 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 11:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry didnt know it would come out so large.
Old 05-30-03, 11:54 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know the answer to your query, but I do have a couple of points to make:

1. You could probably use a more descriptive thread title. A lot of users would probably skip this thread as the title doesn't really tell them anything about what's contained within.

2. You might think about using photshop or something to re-size the image a little. I can't recognise a thing when I look at it.

That is all.
Old 05-31-03, 12:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. I have made changes and have a new better pic. Hope i can have my bike un and running by 9 this morning.
Old 05-31-03, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason i cant change the title?? Also heres a pic of how my front shocks look now.
Old 05-31-03, 12:49 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
Mr. Savior,

The crown race (which came off of your old fork) needs to be pressed onto the fork crown with a special tool. There are other ways of achieving this without this tool which I really don't recommend doing unless you know exactly what your're doing. Maybe at this stage, it might be wise for you to spend a few bucks by having a bike mechanic perform this task for you. I assume they gave you a complete new fork with the right length steerer tube.......otherwise you must cut it down to the desired length.
Old 05-31-03, 06:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was that the correct piece tho so i bring that in to the shop? Yea they gave me the exact same fork back just new same size everything. Doo you know how much more or less that would cost me?And what exactly do i ask the shop for?thanks

Last edited by TheOnlySavior; 05-31-03 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-01-03, 01:18 AM
hello

Mr. Savior,

Your first photo is NOT of a race crown. I cannot make out your second photo. It wouldn't cost you anything to take your entire bike to a bike mechanic and ask for his opinion. Re-installing a fork usually takes less than 5 minutes.
Old 06-01-03, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks george, i called a bike shop and he said he could everything back together for me for only 15. So im happy. I was also wondering what would be the best item(s) to buy for under 50 bucks that would improve my bike further. Since im ganna be at the shop but as well get something new. Right now i have a gel seat and bike comp.
Old 06-01-03, 06:35 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you're looking to improve your bike further, have the mechanic give it a quick inspection while you've got it at the shop, to see if it would benefit from a tune-up. If the Pacific is in its native state of assembly from Wal-Mart or wherever it originated from, this could yield big benefits in longevity, safety and functionality, if the mechanic does a conscientious job.

Hopefully you have a helmet, otherwise that should top your list (get it at a shop and have them do a complete fit adjustment)

Other than that, if you don't already have a waterbottle and holder, that would be a great thing to pick up (if the frame has a position for it, otherwise consider a Camelbak water-pack). If you ride in poor light or at night, a Cateye headlight and blinkie would be smart. If you don't have a good lock and you need one, pick up a lower-end Kryptonite U-lock maybe.

As for parts for the bike... as you know, Pacific isn't an enthusiast-quality bike, so don't get carried away pouring Corvette money into a Pinto. Get your Pinto tuned up, maintain it, yeah... but save up the Corvette money towards a serious bike with oil-damped forks and a frame that fits you just right
Old 06-01-03, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK thanks man ill have the mechanic check it out. Ill see what i can pick up from the shop. I was thinking about getting metal pedals for better grip. Any you suggest or are the basically the same?
Old 06-01-03, 08:55 PM
hello

Mr. Savior,

If you're thinking pedals, save a few more bucks and convert to clipless pedals. A decent set of SPD style pedals and a pair of MTB shoes would be a nice upgrade, IMO. Everything should run you well under $100, or even less, if you shop around for bargains.
Old 06-01-03, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks man. Gatta love this site