Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Enduro OR VT?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Enduro OR VT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-03, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enduro OR VT?

I'm asking a question for a friend. He has been on the search for a new bike and after weeks of research and test rides, he has decided on the Giant VT 2 ($2300) or Specialized Enduro($2500)
Both Canadain prices. The VT 2 is on sale from $2600. He is stumped! Both are very similar in ride and geometry and he likes the ride of both. He has spent many hours on line reading anything he could find on them. The VT 2 comes with better components for the price but the VT series is brand new this year so he is worried about durability. The specialized is a new frame this year but it is a specialized frame and a tried and tested suspention set up where as the VT 's swinger shock is new.
Here are the specs of both bikes.

Giant VT 2

color Team Blue
size 16.5", 18.5", 20.5", 22.5"
frame ALUXX SL FluidForm aluminum, Varible Terrain Suspension System, integrated gussets, 5/5.75" adjustable rear travel
fork RockShock Psylo XC w/U-Turn, 3-5" travel
rear derailleur Shimano LX
front derailleur Shimano Deore XT
derailleurshifters Shimano Deore LX, 9-speed
cranks RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS Splined, 22/32/44T
pedals Shimano M505 Clipless
handlebar Titec Hellbent XC, 6061 butted
stem Titec Big Al
headset FSA Integrated, cartridge bearings
Levers Avid AD3
brakes Avid CPS Disc, 6" rotors
saddle WTB Speed V
seatpost Titec X-Wing, 27.2
rims Mavic X223 Disc, 32H
hubs Shimano Deore Disc, 32H, QR, casset
tires Hutchinson Scorpion, 26x2.0"
rearshock Manitou Swinger Air SPV
cassette Shimano Deore HG-50 11-34T, 9-speed
spokes Stainless Steel, 14-15G butted
additional Shock Pump

Specialized Enduro

FRAME Specialized FSR technology, A1 Premium Aluminum TransForm Monocoque frame, ORE technology down tube, full sealed cartridge bearing pivots, ITch Switch 100/130mm on the fly adjustable travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

REAR SHOCK Fox Float R, air spring and rebound adj., travel adjust ITch Switch, 7.625" x 2.0"

FORK Marzocchi MX Comp, 100mm travel, 1 coil spring, 1 air spring, internal rebound adj., Cr-Mo steerer

HEADSET 1 1/8" Threadless, 3x sealed, black alloy cups, cartridge bearings, ultralight alloy top cap and bolt

STEM Aluminum, 4 bolt, 7 degree rise, black

HANDLEBARS Specialized Enduro Mid Rise bar, 6066 Alloy, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree backsweep, 640mm width

TAPE / GRIPS Specialized MTB grip, black, double density Kraton

FRONT BRAKE Hayes HFX-9 full hydraulic disc, 6" rotor (Note: Some bikes appear with Shimano M-525 disc brakes)

REAR BRAKE Hayes HFX-9 full hydraulic disc, 6" rotor (Note: Some bikes appear with Shimano M-525 disc brakes)

BRAKE LEVERS Hayes HFX-9 (Note: Some bikes appear with Shimano M-525 disc)

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-510 Deore, 34.9 clamp, bottom pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-750 XT

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M-510 Deore, 9 speed

CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 11/34

CHAIN Shimano HG-73

CRANKSET Specialized Strongarm 7050, XT Spline

CHAINRINGS 44Ax32Sx22S, 7050 alloy 4mm thick outer ring, 4 bolt 104/64mm pattern, Steel chainring bolts

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell width, 113mm spindle length

PEDALS Shimano 515 clipless

RIMS Mavic X139 disc, 26", black, machined sidewalls

FRONT HUB Specialized Stout Disc, 32 hole, cartridge bearings, 9mm Skraxle

REAR HUB Shimano M-525 Disc, 32 hole, loose ball bearings, alloy Q/R

SPOKES 1.8mm black stainless, brass nipples, 264/261mm front, 261/260mm rear

FRONT TIRE Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2", Kevlar bead, 120 tpi

REAR TIRE Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2", Kevlar bead, 120 tpi

TUBES Specialized Ultralight, presta valve

SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry technology, steel rails

SEAT POST 2014 Alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm

SEAT BINDER Alloy collar with Q/R, 34.9mm clamp I.D., black

NOTES Chain stay/seat stay protector, derailleur protector, seatpost water bottle mount, reflectors, owners manual

So anybody have any opinions? Anybody hear anything bad or good about either bike?

Sorry about the long Post!

Thanks
Old 05-30-03, 11:45 PM
Chi
Rides with Cows

Bikes: Trek 7000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VT2

I like the design better.
Old 05-31-03, 12:31 AM
DiL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The VT uses Manitou's new Swinger rear shock. Its sort of an attempt at the Specialized BRAIN. Its in it's first year of production and from what I've heard, people aren't entirely pleased with it.

Enduro is a pretty safe bet. The onlything that has really changed recently on it is the new tubing, which is nothing revolutionary, just good ol' improvement.

On the other hand, I'm not real crazy about do-anything bikes to begin with. I would rather have a cheapish XC bike and a cheapish freeride bike than a $2500 swiss-army-bike.
Old 05-31-03, 06:29 AM
I ride a REAL Schwinn!

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City (stock), '00 Schwinn Moab 3 (very upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the latest issue of Mountain Bike Action. They put the VT up against the Enduro and several other bike meant for the same type of use. If I remember correctly, they like the VT a lot, and said that the Enduro was always a safe bet and a time-tested favorite. There are some odd quirks with the suspension action/response on the VT that the testers said you had to get used to. Might be worth a look.

-Moab
Old 05-31-03, 08:16 AM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would have to say the enduro is a better bet only from the "integrated" headset point. Especially on a freeride bike.

Scoob

Old 05-31-03, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me it'd be a tough call as you already know. Both are longer travel trail bikes, both can be ridden on XC, specialized has the 4-bar linkage, Giant has the swinger shock, both have disc brakes etc. If it came down to it i'd get the Enduro for the fact that it doesn't have the first year production shock on it, and i am very biased towards true 4-bar bikes(i love my FSR)
Old 05-31-03, 10:52 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Peter,

Giant is using a true 4bar (lacking only in the horst link) but also using the swinger shock. We will probably see a similar setup on the enduro in the next year or so

Scooby, you like the integrated headset? Most people especially freeriders, don't like integrated headsets as it tends to put to much pressure directly on the headtube instead of the headset. Just curious

As for my vote. No clue both are going to be similar rides, I don't personally know if *I* would need the swinger but it is a great idea
Old 05-31-03, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm aware that the Giant is a 4-bar, but the horst link is the heart of that whole design
Old 05-31-03, 12:13 PM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally posted by Maelstrom

Scooby, you like the integrated headset? Most people especially freeriders, don't like integrated headsets as it tends to put to much pressure directly on the headtube instead of the headset. Just curious

No Mael, I ment that I would lean towards the Enduro due to the fact that the Giant has the integrated headset, it was also a deciding factor on me not buying a NRS. I agree that the head tube is going to see that abuse, and regardless of warranty, its an issue of being without your bike for a while, even if it gets repaired/replaced at no cost.

Old 05-31-03, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those two bikes sound very good for the money. I just bought a Cannondale Jekyll 800 for $2499 with basically the same componetry. Go with the shimano 525 disc brakes over Hayes. Shimano uses mineral oil opposed to dot fluid with the Hayes. My 535 discs are just great!

Remember that you are buying the frame! Purchase a good frame and upgrade later.
Old 05-31-03, 04:16 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Maelstrom
Giant is using a true 4bar (lacking only in the horst link) but also using the swinger shock.
Originally posted by PeterG1185
i'm aware that the Giant is a 4-bar, but the horst link is the heart of that whole design

You are exactly right peter, the giant is actually a single pivot because the wheel is attached to the main pivot. I'd get the enduro....even though it has cheaper components.
Old 05-31-03, 09:41 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden both and I like the VT better. The Swinger is a liscenced fifth element, very adjustable. But then I haven't even gone to front suspension yet.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 05-31-03, 09:52 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the VT. From the rides I have done on one and from recmendations of friends it is a great all purpose rig.

Old 06-01-03, 04:40 AM
Pedalphile

Bikes: better ones than yours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously there is not clear cut answer on which to buy. Both bikes work just fine. Have your bud pick the one thats most comfortable for him.

Personally, Id go with a VT simply for the swinger.
Old 06-01-03, 04:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just bought my bf the enduro pro, a few upgrades in components listed plus they gave him muddies...lol the look on his face was priceless. he loves it, it is his first fs, he had a trek hardtail before.
i read the article on the vt and it did look good, i wanted to try one out but no one had a 16.5 handy. even at that size on a different frame it would be too big for me.. but the lbs said i should get away with it because of the design. so i am waiting for mr steve chrisitini to arrive late june, so i can try out his bike.. he shortened the stem for me( really nice guy, by the way)
and i hope to try out the vt soon.. only drawback was the price
where did you find it for 2300!!!!! canadian too!!
Old 06-01-03, 09:19 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by juciluci
i just bought my bf the enduro pro
Damn, what a gift!!!!!
Old 06-01-03, 09:27 AM
Madman of Princeton

Bikes: Cove G-Spot w/ Marzocchi Super T, Bombshell DH wheelset, and Hayes Mechs (the brakes which I hope to soon replace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by juciluci
i just bought my bf the enduro pro, a few upgrades in components listed plus they gave him muddies...
What are muddies???
Old 06-01-03, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
muddies are my word for fenders, mud guards, whatever ya call them... ugly suckers but he needs them.. wild man that he is.
Old 06-01-03, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about the Enduro, i was thinking of getting a used 2000 Enduro, im guessing the only difference with todays Enduro is the frame. How risky is buying the bike without a warranty? (say my swingarm cracks). Plus how big of a hit can this bike take? It has 4.6 inches of rear travel? I was also thinking of getting a BETD suspension upgrade. Any comments on that would be helpful.
Byron