Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

High-Efficiency Low-Cost Bike Light Project

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-05-07, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New here, apologies if I've mangled some protocol ...
Have just finished a project some here may be interested in. It's a headlight-taillight combo that combines very good efficiency (all LED) with excellent brightness and reasonably low cost. I was thinking of writing it up with a combination of text, parts info, and photographs and posting it somewhere. I see that photos can be posted directly into postings here (max size 100KB) but I don't want to hog a lot of space that only a few may be interested in. So, opinions: what's the best way, or some other web place, to post this material? I could also do it up as a MS word doc and just email to interested parties.

I've seen some other web sites with details on light design and construction but I haven't put up my own web site (yet).

Thanks,
D Lawrence
ASPO-USA
Old 04-05-07, 10:00 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Please......NO MS word!! Instead offer this project as a PDF file
that is universal to all computers.

That said maybe Joe could make a sticky here ,using a PDF link, to help
others get good safe lights on their cycles. Drop a Joe Gardener an E-mail
to ask him.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-05-07, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my own server and would be happy to host the file for you. I'm also interested in the project, as I would love to build a new light for next winter. PDF is good, HTML online is fine, whatever works. PDF's are easier to share.
Old 04-05-07, 10:39 AM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I say just put it in a thread.

Emailing documents is fine for one or two people, but what about in six months when you may or may not be around and a new person wants it. The thread would still be here.
Old 04-05-07, 11:01 AM
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence_01749
New here, apologies if I've mangled some protocol ...
Have just finished a project some here may be interested in. It's a headlight-taillight combo that combines very good efficiency (all LED) with excellent brightness and reasonably low cost. I was thinking of writing it up with a combination of text, parts info, and photographs and posting it somewhere. I see that photos can be posted directly into postings here (max size 100KB) but I don't want to hog a lot of space that only a few may be interested in. So, opinions: what's the best way, or some other web place, to post this material? I could also do it up as a MS word doc and just email to interested parties.

I've seen some other web sites with details on light design and construction but I haven't put up my own web site (yet).

Thanks,
D Lawrence
ASPO-USA
Best practice- compose the text in word or whatever to allow for editing, then post the text here as a thread. Instead of posting photos directly to bikeforums, upload them to a site like photobucket, and then embed them in the thread- looks better, and allows for larger image sizes too. (use the insert image tool in the posting toolbar).

You also might consider posting it in the total geekiness thread, which is on this particular issue.

Looking forward to seeing it- led lights are my next project.
Old 04-05-07, 12:32 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tightwad
Please......NO MS word!! Instead offer this project as a PDF file
that is universal to all computers.
+1!!!!!

Ghostscript is a free program that allows you to create PDF files so you can easily share non-commercial files with others. Just google
Ghostscript
to find all the information on it you need and free downloads of the required programming.
Old 04-05-07, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
+1!!!!!

Ghostscript is a free program that allows you to create PDF files so you can easily share non-commercial files with others. Just google
Ghostscript
to find all the information on it you need and free downloads of the required programming.
Open Office has a file--export-as-pdf option, if you want to make a word-processing document instead of a posting. You can download and install from www.openoffice.org. I use it a bit and it seems to work well. And, you can read and write Microsoft Office documents without spending hundreds of dollars for Microsoft Office.
Old 04-05-07, 02:40 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why are we making this so complicated?

Anyway... if you're anti-microsoft, maybe you're pro-google - https://docs.google.com - free, online, and shareable. Beats having to download and install an office wannna-be program.
Old 04-05-07, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High-Efficiency lights, .pdf, more

Thanks for the hot tips, guys. Looked around some more and "Total Geekiness" topic may be appropriate place to post on this forum as it's full of bike-light stories.

I don't have the Adobe software to create .pdf files (only the free download, to read docs) but it looks like there are good Open Office solutions.

More soon,

- D Lawrence
ASPO-USA