Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heron frame feedback

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heron frame feedback

Old 04-05-07, 10:45 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Heron frame feedback

Anyone ever own a Heron? It's built by Waterford and comes in at less than a grand. Is it good, bad or just different? Seems kind of like a Rivendell wannabe.

Tim
Old 04-08-07, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 800, Giant OCR C3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I'll start this reply with the warning: I am no expert, and I don't pretend to be one.

I've checked out both websites, and while they both build lugged steel frames, I wouldn't call Waterford a wannabe. Waterford is owned by a scion of the Schwinn family. He bought the Paramount, and other famous Schwinn lines back from the new owners after Schwinn failed. Both build custom steel frames and fill a similar market niche. They are similar, and expensive. I have read good/great things about both, but don't have the scratch to even worry about buying their bikes. (Plus just got a Giant OCR C3, and it's better than I'll be for a long time to go. And I have an old European lugged steel bike waiting for some repairs in my work room.)
Old 04-08-07, 12:02 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Waterford a WANNABE.............LOL
Cs1 you need to research more before you put your foot in your mouth
Old 04-08-07, 01:01 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Heron is not Waterford. They are contract manufactured by Waterford to Heron's specifications. They are similar to Rivendells because they share a lot of common history. Herons were originally designed by Grant Peterson and sold by Rivendell as part of a joint venture. Rivendells have also been manufactured under contract by Waterford at times. If you're considering a bike by any of these three companies, it behooves you to consider the other two as well.
Old 04-09-07, 03:40 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
Waterford a WANNABE.............LOL
Cs1 you need to research more before you put your foot in your mouth
Probably not a well phrased statement on my part. I was refering to Heron being a Rivendell wannabe. They are appealing to the same type of rider as Rivendell at considerably less money. If you actually looked at my signature line you will see that I own 2 Waterfords, both Campy equipped.

Waterford isn't a Heron or Rivendell wannabe.

Still, the question remains. Anyone own a Heron? If so, what kind of feedback can you give on it.

Tim