Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Almost One Year

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Almost One Year

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 01:36 PM
Biscuit Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost One Year

I'm coming up on one year car free. I did make a few trips with a loaned pickup out to a friend in the sticks after she broke her arm, but since those weren't for me I'm not counting them. My S-10 kicked the bucket for the last time in late April of last year, and I decided to buy a bike instead of spending another grand on repairs. I finally ditched the thing in August to a guy who wanted parts. I've been through an unusually cold Alaskan winter and have come out OK. The ice was no problem once I put Nokian studs on. I didn't have any serious falls. The deep snow drifts were difficult to get through, but I'm not sure how that can be helped.

My knees are still paining me some, but not as much as they were before I got back into shape. I've got at least some of my old strength back, and I haven't had any illness since I started riding again. I still have a ways to go to get back to where I was 15 years ago fitness wise, but my heart rate is down as is my BP. And though most of it is going to pay off an old loan, I do have $2,500 in cash in my pocket right now, so I must be saving money somewhere

Meanwhile, the Rat abides

Last edited by Cosmoline; 04-06-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 01:39 PM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome man. You are an inspiration to me as it is very easy in these parts to use the weather as an excuse. If you can do it in Alaska, I can do it here

Congrats!
Old 04-06-07, 02:04 PM
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, I just hit my 1 year as well. Car-free 1 year later made me realise I was 12 years too late in ditching the auto.

Congrats.
Old 04-06-07, 02:33 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Which pocket is the money in?

Congratulations. Doing it in Arkansas as I do is one thing. Two days of snow a year. But Alaska! My hat's off to you.
Old 04-06-07, 04:29 PM

Bikes: Two bikes..a new hybrid and a old moutain bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bravo!
I make it one year May 15th or so..and will do a report as well..Nice bike!
Old 04-06-07, 06:38 PM
bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great achievement; I'll know where to go for winter riding info if I ever see any snow!
Old 04-06-07, 11:42 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats! If you can do it in Alaska, anyone can do it anywhere. You're a role model for others.
Old 04-07-07, 12:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knee pain? how many gears does that have? I go with multiple gears (27) for my bad knees.

That rocks om Alaska no doubt.
Old 04-07-07, 01:33 AM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have four gears--three on the bike and then walking. But I had knee problems before I started on the bike. I blew out my left knee last winter and was walking with a cane before I started on the bike again.
Old 04-07-07, 01:22 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Congrats Cosmoline!!!

I'm very proud of you. Keep an eye on those knees. Get more gears if you have hills there!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-07-07, 02:34 PM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a SWEET A$$ ride you got there!!!
Old 04-07-07, 06:17 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cosmoline, you are awesome!
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-08-07, 07:37 AM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know how you do it. I spent some more time this week in sub 20F weather with howling winds. My throat felt like an old leather boot. You are either tougher or there's hope that if this weather lasts, I'll just get used to it .

Last edited by gerv; 04-08-07 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-08-07, 08:28 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Cosmoline,
Way to go! Just goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to it. FWIW I would consider and upgrade from you four speed to a seven speed if funds will allow. I have geared all of my bikes down a bit as my body has complained.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-08-07, 10:21 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like we have a lot of "1 year anniversaries" happening...
I passed mine March 20th.

The only thing I do regret is that with all the weekly "utility" riding I do now, I just don't seem to do many 60 miler saturdays anymore
Old 11-17-07, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Dallas with "better" weather and officially donated the car this August to a charitable organization and haven't missed it one minute. The key with the knee health is to ride easy, fun gears that require you to spin more than push the pedals. That way the daily commutes won't turn to daily grinds and your joints, etc, will thank you for years to come. Funny thing--the colder the weather, the more exhilirating the ride. I arrive at my destinations red-faced with a smile I hadn't worn since I was a kid. Car people just don't get it.
Old 11-17-07, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bachontrack
Funny thing--the colder the weather, the more exhilirating the ride. I arrive at my destinations red-faced with a smile I hadn't worn since I was a kid. Car people just don't get it.
True. Some of my most enjoyable rides have been in rain, snow or cold weather. Last winter, despite a much longer and colder winter than usual, I only felt cold once and that was when I was in a car. Cycling to and from work in winter, I stayed warmer than my coworkers who drove.
Old 11-21-07, 07:48 AM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm about to have my 1 day anniversary (although I've never owned a car). My partner hasn't gotten her car sold, and it's partly my fault because I've actually been driving it. But I now have an awesome electric bike so after this week I don't think I'll drive the 18 hilly miles to work any more.
Old 11-21-07, 07:50 AM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of my most enjoyable rides have been in rain, snow or cold weather.
I love walking in the rain and I love riding in the cold, but riding in the rain irritates me because I always end up with dirty socks/shoes/shins.
Old 11-21-07, 02:14 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I can't abide is deep fresh snow. It's hell to pedal through. But this year I've got an upgraded ice bike and can apply more power to the problem.
Old 11-21-07, 02:34 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats, Cosmoline!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-21-07, 02:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, I am just starting out living car free but this is the inspiration that I need. Thank You, take care of your knees, and enjoy riding!
Old 11-24-07, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 2mos. from my first year of carfreedom. Last time driving was when I was back @ my parents house in DC last Jan. I'm two years to being done with college life as well. But seeing that I have already become very stubborn to driving any motorized vehicle, I feel that my carfree habit will continue and grow even stronger after school is over.

In the deep south, the SUVs and trucks rule the roads. If I can survive carfree down here in a deep south suburb, than I should be able to do it anywhere.

Congrats on your first year carfree, Cosmo. I hoping to do my masters up in AK. I would love to be out on the Kenai pen. right now.
Old 11-26-07, 12:07 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Cosmoline,
Way to go! Just goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to it. FWIW I would consider and upgrade from you four speed to a seven speed if funds will allow. I have geared all of my bikes down a bit as my body has complained.
I took your advice. This thread is a little bit of a zombie somebody brought back from the dead. I'm actually at over a year and a half car free now. I've graduated from the cruiser and now have a fully geared summer utility bike and a custom winter bike, the Fram:

I took advantage of the snowless break in the weather and did a 40 mile ride on Saturday. Those nokians are great, but slicks they ain't! My legs feel like I did a century, and the 20 f. north wind that hit my sweat soaked body on the way home didn't help. I was dragging by the end, but made it home. Thank the lord for my little blue pills!
Old 11-26-07, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
I took your advice. This thread is a little bit of a zombie somebody brought back from the dead. I'm actually at over a year and a half car free now. I've graduated from the cruiser and now have a fully geared summer utility bike and a custom winter bike, the Fram:

I took advantage of the snowless break in the weather and did a 40 mile ride on Saturday. Those nokians are great, but slicks they ain't! My legs feel like I did a century, and the 20 f. north wind that hit my sweat soaked body on the way home didn't help. I was dragging by the end, but made it home. Thank the lord for my little blue pills!
nice ride. Studded tires are awesome. and yep make for a GREAT workout.

About the "little blue pills: I though the Brooks was supposed to be comfy? or are you talking about something else? I'm worried. pls explain!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.