Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

advice re: bike assembly

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I will be starting the assembly of my bike soon and I would like to hear your tips/advice before I start the build.

I am fairly confident that the build will be straightforward, but I do have a couple of concerns, and I wouldn't like to damage any components through ignorance.

My focus for now is what specialized tools do I need.

As far as I can see the only critical areas are:
- cutting the steerer tube (I will not cut this for a while yet so this is not an issue currently)

- the bottom bracket. even though the bottom bracket comes fitted on the Sherpa frame-set, I would like to know what tools are needed/recommended for removal and installation of this square taper bottom bracket?

- the crankset. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the sugino xd300 square taper crank-set

- the cassette. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the Shimano XT cassette to/from the XT hub

I can purchase the common tools like allen keys, spanners, etc no problem, but I've been looking at the Park Tool repair help guide and there are a selection of tools recommended there.

So what tools do you use/recommend that I can also bring with me on tour. Preferably handy and not too heavy or bulky.

thanks,
Collie
Old 04-08-07, 07:28 AM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your Sherpa is a steele frame, rustproof it before you mount any hardware. I used J.P. Weigle spray. I left facing the bottom bracket, cutting the steerer tube and pressing in the headset bearings to my trusted mechanic as the investment for the neccessary tools isn't worth one-time use, and I lacked the expertise to do these critical jobs in the first place. Don't want to screw this up!
Old 04-08-07, 07:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
by rustproof are you talking about the unpainted sections of the frame? for example the interior of the tubing?
Old 04-08-07, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Collie
- cutting the steerer tube (I will not cut this for a while yet so this is not an issue currently)
I just use a pipe cutter like this one. You can probably get one cheaper at the hardware store.

- the bottom bracket. even though the bottom bracket comes fitted on the Sherpa frame-set, I would like to know what tools are needed/recommended for removal and installation of this square taper bottom bracket?
You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment.

- the crankset. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the sugino xd300 square taper crank-set
You need a crank puller.

- the cassette. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the Shimano XT cassette to/from the XT hub
You need a cassette tool and a chain whip.

So what tools do you use/recommend that I can also bring with me on tour. Preferably handy and not too heavy or bulky.
I would just get a reasonable multi-tool. I like the Crankbrothers M-19 pretty well, and the Topeak ones are nice.
Old 04-08-07, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Topeak Alien II, but this would not be sufficient for the crank, bottom bracket, or cassette.
thank you very much for the info

Collie
Old 04-08-07, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Topeak Alien II, but this would not be sufficient for the crank, bottom bracket, or cassette.
thank you very much for the info

Collie
I don't know that many folks carry the chainwhip, cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, crank puller and a big ol' adjustable wrench on tour. The odds that you will need to remove your crank or BB seems kind of remote (and I am not sure what kind of repair you could do roadside if you did). There are light weight cassette crackers available:
https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stein...ock/index.html

This is potentially useful if you need to replace a drive side spoke.
Old 04-08-07, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
barba: "You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment."

is this bottom bracket tool suitable for a SQUARE TAPER Shimano UN-53 bottom bracket?
Old 04-09-07, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
barba: "You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment."

is this bottom bracket tool suitable for a SQUARE TAPER Shimano UN-53 bottom bracket?

That should do it.