Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

CCW and commuting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

CCW and commuting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 08:16 AM
new newbie

Bikes: Cannondale F400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CCW and commuting...

I searched for an answer to this with at least 10 different queries, but was wondering how many people here carry a pistol while riding. I havent lived in CO long enough to get my permit but my close proximity to some bad parts of Denver make me wonder how many others have thought about going this route for personal protection. I work in the healthcare field and have already cleared it with my supervisors as well as the owner of the company if I do get a CCW I can carry to work as long as my pistol is out of sight while at work.
Old 04-09-07, 08:32 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=carry

Old 04-09-07, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry on my commute every day. HOWEVER, my piece is unloaded, and stowed in my backpack (I carry a gun as part of my job). I really think cycling with a gun on my hip would horribly uncomfortable. I bike though some not so great neighborhoods, but I have never felt the need to have a gun on my hip. If you are going to do it, take your bike to the range, and practice dismounting and shooting... a lot... then do it some more. I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. But if you want to, its no skin off my ass.
Old 04-09-07, 08:36 AM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a HUGE discussion (err, argument) about CCW on bike in the General Cycling forum (it might have been moved to Politics and Religion by now)

IMHO, if you have proper training including several visits per month to the range, and you're a law-abiding citizen, it's a good idea. You never know when you will need to defend yourself or an innocent bystander. You'll probably find a bit of adversity on a bicycle forum, whose demographic probably sways to the left a bit. I know you wouldn't be alone if you end up packing while riding, though.
Old 04-09-07, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my NY permit for 11 years but I have yet to carry on the bike. I haven't found a good way to do it yet. (not that I've spent a lot of time thinking about it) I hate carrying anything on my body when I'm riding, backpacks, camelbacks, etc. Even my HRM strap took some getting used to. I've thought about off-body carry, in some sort of custom mount/holster but I like that idea even less. If my gun is not in my direct possession it is locked up, no exceptions. Off-body carry kinda violates my own rule. Besides, the only time I could ever see using a gun while riding is after getting attacked, knocked down and likely seperated from the bike. If the gun is mounted/stored on the bike that's a BIG problem! Likewise, if I'm attacked but still on the bike it's time to pedal faster!

Maybe I need to find something smaller and lighter and just deal with carrying something on me. In the meantime I'm not going to worry about it too much.
Old 04-09-07, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Wal-Mart Mongoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just started commuting and havnt carryied yet but more than likely my glock19 will be coming with me
Old 04-10-07, 04:23 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I can ride faster than most bullets, so I don't carry. I might shoot, then catch up to a bullet and crash into it.
Plus, they all weigh too much.
Plus, WTF??? A flippin gun??? On a bike? Are you crazy? What the hell are you planning on shooting? I'd be too tempted to take out a car or several every day. Are you sure you'll be able to resist? I hope being passed doen't annoy you too much.
In lycra, where does the gun go anyway?
Old 04-10-07, 04:57 PM
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bellyband might be one way to carry on a bike. I would skip the smartcarry with bike shorts .
Old 04-10-07, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fanny pack holster that I use on the bike. It's a compromise, but aren't all methods of CCW?
Old 04-11-07, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a SportHolster and a fanny pack holster.

Fanny pack wins hands down...The SportHolster is comfortable on and off the bike, but I have a feeling that it prints HUGELY when I'm on my road bike.

The fanny pack has the extra usefullness of giving me pockets. Fanny pack holsters are usually considered a dead giveaway that you're carrying, but I think that being on a bike is the only time that a fanny pack looks normal.
Old 04-11-07, 08:25 PM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry mine enroute to work. Just remember, "Be the best witness" and "Fleeing is always a better option when it is available."
Old 04-11-07, 08:26 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Flame war in 5,4,3,...

Anyhow, I ride from Thornton to DTC and see no reason to carry a gun. I am more liable to shoot myself than anyone else.
The ability to sprint up to 30-40 mph is far more useful IMHO. That and riding when everyone else is asleep.
Old 04-11-07, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started biking for real, but I plan to commute when my fitness level rises. I go to work at 5 pm and come home at 11 pm. I will be taking my Springfield XD .40 with me. Too much can happen on an 8 mile ride in the dark with no car for shelter, speed or comfort.

I will probably carry in my backpack, loaded but not chambered.
Old 04-11-07, 08:47 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Flame war in 5,4,3,...
Too late. The stupidity started at post #7. Later than I thought, though.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 04-12-07, 12:55 AM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flame war in 5,4,3,...

Anyhow, I ride from Thornton to DTC and see no reason to carry a gun. I am more liable to shoot myself than anyone else.
The ability to sprint up to 30-40 mph is far more useful IMHO. That and riding when everyone else is asleep.
I'll be riding from cap hill to thornton at night. I work nights in a medical building in Thornton
Old 04-12-07, 01:13 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked through 5-points for years, at night, going to a DBTC meeting one the east side of town from my home in Wheatridge. Never a problem. But then I am 5'11", 192 lb, and male. Wore fairly geeky clothing too, never full kit. Try it or ride the bus.
Old 04-12-07, 04:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jorpe
I'll be riding from cap hill to thornton at night. I work nights in a medical building in Thornton

You should be fine. Just stay aware. The trails really are not that bad. I have had a few late shifts that required a bit of night riding. However, not too late. I would be especially careful (aware) on Friday nights. Trails really are not that big of a congregating point for riff raff. Maybe for the homeless but for the most part they are fine.

Keep in mind that the platte trail in Adams county has a dusk to dawn ban. I ride it anyway. The sheriffs tend to only enforce it when they are bored.
The easiest place for them to surprise a cyclist is where the platte comes close to york. At that point I go dark.
I can't really speak for the capital hill area but I believe a fair amount of cyclists ride through that area. At least it seems that way when I do.

If the platte is still disconcerting, you could always ride to market street station and take the 120x to thornton PNR and ride to grant. I'm throwing this location out as a guess due to the fact that most of the medical buildings in Thornton are located by North Suburban Hospital along Grant.

Give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.
Old 04-12-07, 06:49 AM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be fine. Just stay aware. The trails really are not that bad. I have had a few late shifts that required a bit of night riding. However, not too late. I would be especially careful (aware) on Friday nights. Trails really are not that big of a congregating point for riff raff. Maybe for the homeless but for the most part they are fine.

Keep in mind that the platte trail in Adams county has a dusk to dawn ban. I ride it anyway. The sheriffs tend to only enforce it when they are bored.
The easiest place for them to surprise a cyclist is where the platte comes close to york. At that point I go dark.
I can't really speak for the capital hill area but I believe a fair amount of cyclists ride through that area. At least it seems that way when I do.

If the platte is still disconcerting, you could always ride to market street station and take the 120x to thornton PNR and ride to grant. I'm throwing this location out as a guess due to the fact that most of the medical buildings in Thornton are located by North Suburban Hospital along Grant.

Give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Hitting the 120 was an option for sure. I work close to north suburban, right where you indicated. I havent lived in denver but for a couple months, so I dont know the platt trail yet. I may start out just riding down to market street and taking the park n ride a couple times to see how it works out. Thanks for the help. You have close to the same ride I have, although I just get to stop in capitol hill and not go all the way to DTC. I'm excited to not be tethered to a vehicle once I get this figured out.
Old 04-12-07, 07:43 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think you will find that it is not that bad. Heck, I've ridden down York in Commerce City and Brighton Blvd into denver. Plus, I regularly take D11 through north Denver to DTC. That has a few interesting neighborhoods up north. However, at 6 am most of the troublemakers are asleep.

PM me if you have any questions. I am fairly familiar with a good percentage of your route.
..and welcome to Denver. I myself am a transplant from SE Washington State.
Old 04-12-07, 08:57 AM
Occasionally Here

Bikes: Secret......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you could convert one of your bottle cages into a subtle holster? Something descrete, yet something that provides easy access in case you need to do a 'ride-by' or shoot on the move.
Old 04-12-07, 09:27 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I can ride faster than most bullets, so I don't carry. I might shoot, then catch up to a bullet and crash into it.

Yes, but if you are traveling on a rocket at the speed of light, and riding your bicycle inside the rocket, is it better to use a trainer, or will you simply stay in place without support?
Old 04-12-07, 09:30 AM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aye... I am a recent transplant from the ''501" area code. I got my Cannondale from the shop rigth by Cajuns.
Old 04-12-07, 10:26 AM
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never have I felt the need to carry a firearm with me on my rides. Hell, rarely have I felt the need to carry one at all. Besides, it's impossible to get a CCW here in California so it's really a moot point unless I want to break the law.

Oh, and it's against company policy to bring a gun to work as well.

I really wouldn't want to live in an area where I felt compelled to carry a gun with me at all times just to feel safe.
Old 04-16-07, 05:28 PM
new newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm just going to carry an AR15 on my back. 16'' carbine barrel, tactical lighting, front grip, multiple 30 round magazines and one of those rambo style clips of rounds across my chest.
Old 04-16-07, 06:14 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok. I'm going to move to capital hill and find a new job in thornton. You would make the perfect riding partner.

Actually, I would love it if my work would move to broomfield or downtown from DTC. My coworkers are less than thrilled with that idea. Though downtown would require a beater to lock up outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.