Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need a Raleigh Criterium frame for the 25th anniversary of the "ride to the north"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need a Raleigh Criterium frame for the 25th anniversary of the "ride to the north"

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

25 years ago, in June of 1982 (before many of you were born) myself and two friends completed our first tour together. We rode from Regina, Saskatchewan to Waskesiu in Prince Albert National Park.
We were 16 and 17 years old at the time.
After it was all said and done we had ridden 1350KM. Our best day saw 260 km roll under our wheels.
No chase car, all equipment carried by us.
The bikes were 2 Raleighs and a Peugeot.
Anyway, I am looking for a frame or a complete bike for this anniversary ride. I was riding a 1982 Raleigh Criterium with Shimano 600 at this time. I have my entire component group but I no longer have the frame. There was nothing special about this steel frame, which is why I gave it away 20 years ago. I would like to build the bike back to the original configuration for our ride.
Here is a pic, don't laugh at the clothes! Mine is the green Raleigh.

The quality of these pics are poor, they were scanned from old 110 negs.
If anyone can help me out with this Criterium frame it would be greatly appreciated.
And to complicate things even more I believe this particular Raleigh was a Canada only bike.

Last edited by ricohman; 04-10-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 04:32 PM

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
I can't help but great pictures! 1350km! I'd like to see these 5k carbon bike guys do that with everything on their bikes. Cheers to doing it again, and on vintage steel! If you can't find the exact frame I'm sure you can come across something period for not too much, good luck!
Old 04-10-07, 07:00 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today one of the local bike shops found me an early 80's Raleigh Super Grand Prix.
It's in complete original condition and even the colour is close.
But it is going to be to small for me, to bad as it's so nice. I brought it home anyways in case the Peugeot is DOA.

I will keep looking.
Old 04-10-07, 09:15 PM
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You mean one like this? :

I currently have this set up as a fixed gear. What size frame were you looking for? Mine is huge - around 64cm from what I recall. Funnily enough, I have seen three of these (including mine) exact bikes pass through the bike shop where I volunteer here in Victoria. I think one is still for sale. I will check what size it is next time I'm there. You are correct in stating that they were of Canadian manufacture - mine still has the "Made in Canada" sticker on the seat tube. PM me to discuss this more if you like. I may be able to help you out...

Last edited by Antipodes; 04-10-07 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 10:07 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That's getting closer! But what a huge frame!
And you are right on with the "Made in Canada" sticker. The sticker on mine was close to the bottom bracket.
PM sent.
Old 04-13-07, 08:30 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I found another small Raleigh today. It appears very similar except for the paint, which is blue and white.
There are no decals on the top tube but the owner is sure it's a Criterium. I think its a Record.
I thought Criteriums only came in green?
Anyway, it will be to small for me and I don't need yet another small bike as I bought the Super Grand Prix.
And he wants $150 for it which is to much for the condition its in.
Old 04-14-07, 03:34 AM
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I thought the Criterium only came in the one colour too...sorry, I haven't checked out the one at the bike shop yet, but I will do so ASAP...
Old 04-15-07, 01:52 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I am going to be in Abbotsford for a week in May.
I will have a car and I suppose I could take a bike back to Saskatchewan on the plane.
hmmmmmmm