Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eastern Europe trip buddies

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a 24 year old Aussie heading to Eastern Europe and planning to travel by bike from Slovakia (or nearby) through Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland and Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia for around 6 weeks. I'll be starting early-mid June and going to end of July (using train if I need to make up some boring ground quickly). I'm pretty easy going about the trip - haven't planned an exact route yet, but would like to meet some locals, see some sights and enjoy a few beers. It'd be great to meet up with anyone for part/all of the trip or anyone in the area. Let me know! Cheers, Lisa
Old 04-11-07, 11:00 PM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm jealous! Where will you be flying into?
Old 04-12-07, 06:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Lisa...just in case you might want to make it to central/west Romania as well (which you should because it's an amazing country nature-wise) let me know and i'll put you in touch with fellow bikers who could offer a place to crash at if needed.
otherwise...jealous i am too.
Have fun!
Old 04-16-07, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hey Lisa,

I'll be cycling Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia beginning in June until about the end of July. I might have some hospitalityclub.org members join me for parts, but if you want to join in any part of the trip, get in touch.

Happy cycling,
kurt
Old 04-16-07, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm flying into Istanbul and doing a few weeks regular travelling around Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania first. I had planned to go hiking in Romania and get a bike after that (hence Slovakia or nearby) but I figured it'd just depend where I found a bike and it's all pretty flexible. I'd love to meet up with your cycling friends in Romania, it'd be great to have a place to crash - maybe I'd get a bike a bit earlier then.
Old 04-16-07, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be more than happy to help out and meet with anyone coming to Riga this summer. My wife and I are both avid cyclist and would be more than happy to show you the sights and point you in the right direction. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 04-16-07, 11:52 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Funnies
I'm flying into Istanbul and doing a few weeks regular travelling around Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania first. I had planned to go hiking in Romania and get a bike after that (hence Slovakia or nearby) but I figured it'd just depend where I found a bike and it's all pretty flexible. I'd love to meet up with your cycling friends in Romania, it'd be great to have a place to crash - maybe I'd get a bike a bit earlier then.
The Czech Republic might be a good place to a bike. Touring bikes are hard to come by in this part of the world. I've had to order mine from Germany.
Old 04-17-07, 02:22 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Wonder if we might pass you by on the road. We are heading off to Hungary, Romania, Austria in three weeks. Not doing a bike tour, but decided to rent bikes in two/three seperate cities. Most of our long distance transportation will be via train on a eurail pass. Should do lots of local cycling about Eger, Hungary, Lake Blanton; Cluj, and Brasov, Romania.
Old 04-26-07, 02:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We probably wıll pass by maybe we could meet up ın one of those cıtıes and do a bıt of a rıde. I am stıll a bıt hazy on my dates but I can let you know when I have a better ıdea?
Old 04-26-07, 03:29 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Think our plans are to fly back from Bratislavia around May 24. We will be renting our bikes. Ryan Air is not bike friendly. One of the towns where we will be doing the most cycling is about Eger, Hungary and Brasov, Romania.
Old 04-27-07, 12:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i can only give you my brief experience with cycling out there: it's effing awesome. except, i would highly suggest mapping out a route through slovakia if you plan on going through the tatras. i ended up going through them on the motorway because that was the only way to get through. it was beautiful, but pretty much not the best way to go.

everything else is a really great cycle, and stealth camping is fantastic around there. i really loved cycling in moravia/southeast poland especially. don't miss olomouc. and the hostel there is owned by a couple great aussies who really make you feel at home.
Old 05-27-07, 02:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm in Eastern Europe now, getting the bike in a couple of weeks. I've got some great tips so hopefully I'll get a good route down and be setting off on a sweet trip! Cheers, Lisa
Old 05-27-07, 02:29 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck and don't forget your rain gear!

Feel free to give a call or even better, SMS, when you hit Riga.

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 05-27-07 at 02:47 AM.