Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What saddle do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 06:56 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Selle San Marco Rolls. Find 'em on eBay.
Old 04-16-07, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Avatar that came with my Roubaix. Real happy with it. Was using a Serfas RX on my previous bike, it was great for rides up to 35 miles, but I'd suffer after that.
Old 04-17-07, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should also add that I'm looking for a saddle that will keep going on long rides.
Old 04-17-07, 10:23 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by khaosspawn
I should also add that I'm looking for a saddle that will keep going on long rides.
By my sig, you can see what I prefer. Especially on very long rides up to centuries. There is no other material available that wicks away sweat as effectively as thick leather hide. I speculate that the main reason for the advent of synthetic saddles was for weight savings. Leather rules on long rides, but you have to be willing to understand the nature of how it forms to you - and be patient. Most of the break-in myth is over blown. The anatomica saddles are very interesting. The main thing for me is that it has to be leather, with no backing or anything that blocks the wicking action. That includes all the salves, unquents, creams and other dunkings that people use to "soften" their saddles. I do use SnoSeal, with an occassional clear boot polish on top to keep the slickness.

The padded or semi-padded, glove leather-covered saddles are not the same as a Brooks, though many riders in this thread like them. Glove leather is for wallets, car seats, boutique clothing, and... gloves. Hide is for saddles. I had the cheapo Specialized Milano that came on my Sequoia Elite that was pretty good for about 40 miles, then, it got hot. That would be a short ride for me. I think just about anything would work for 40 miles, though.

BTW, as a heavy sweater, I have never had to use any of those butt creams since going with leather.
Old 04-17-07, 11:31 AM

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R-550,Cannondale tandem,Raleigh Pre, Fuji Discovery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 205lbs on a Specialized Avatar gel 155. I think Specialized allows a 30 day trial period, just don't beat the saddle up and you can swap for a different model. REI stores also have a good return policy if you have one in the area.
Old 04-17-07, 02:00 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Ok, This is my first posting on the Clydes, Heres a saddle that will most def be comfortable for just about any of us! (Im 218...almost all muscle though LOL!) It came on the Schwinn World that I just got off the junk guy. Enjoy!

Old 04-17-07, 02:56 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
Ok, This is my first posting on the Clydes, Heres a saddle that will most def be comfortable for just about any of us! (Im 218...almost all muscle though LOL!) It came on the Schwinn World that I just got off the junk guy. Enjoy!
You can keep it, thanks.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-17-07, 02:59 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Yikes! Sciatic nerve and circulatory damage special! Might be ok for short hops on a beach cruiser and an extremely upright stance, but on a long ride on a road bike, you will have numb legs and long enough, you will get permanent damage!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-17-07, 03:02 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Here is a comfortable, all day on the bike saddle!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-17-07, 03:52 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Originally Posted by chipcom
You can keep it, thanks.

I just posted it because a clydes guy saw it over at the C and V thought you guys would get a kick out of it, not trying to insult or trying to sell it!? so yeah, I will keep it, or maybe give it to the clydes guy as he was kinda interested, these are the saddles I use on my bikes, Im 218 lbs and they work/feel fine, the Selle Italia Sphere and the toy store Schwinn gel share the Giant (as needed) as a home.

Old 04-17-07, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Brooks B17. A lot of people that see me out on it think I'm nuts, but it's very comfortable!
Old 04-17-07, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by khaosspawn
Hi Guys,

Trolled for a long time, first time posting. Search is down at the moment and I went back several pages but couldn't find a saddle post.

I bought a nice bike, ridden it in (did the tune up) and it's great. Except for the saddle. I want to have kids one day and I fear the stock will prevent that. I'm 5'11 and 230 lbls. Any recommendations for a good saddle?

This one looks tempting.

Any thoughts, tips for me?
Before replacing the saddle, try a pair of bike shorts, the ones with the padding, I think they can make most seats comfortable, they did the stock seat on my Norco....
Old 04-17-07, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another vote for B-17. And whoever said that break in stuff is pretty much a myth is pretty much right on. My first one was comfortable from day 1 and so is the one that I just put on my new bike. Wall Bike has a very liberal return policy on their Brooks saddles, you can basically try them out risk free. How can you go wrong there?
Old 04-17-07, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just posted it because a clydes guy saw it over at the C and V thought you guys would get a kick out of it, not trying to insult or trying to sell it!? so yeah, I will keep it, or maybe give it to the clydes guy as he was kinda interested, these are the saddles I use on my bikes, Im 218 lbs and they work/feel fine, the Selle Italia Sphere and the toy store Schwinn gel share the Giant (as needed) as a home.

DUDE! Somebody stole a bunch of spokes off your Giant!
Old 04-17-07, 07:42 PM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Still a clyde at 210. On both of my road bikes I have a

and

They fit my sit bones just perfect.
Old 04-17-07, 08:32 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by Terrierman
DUDE! Somebody stole a bunch of spokes off your Giant!

LOL! Dude, my wife and are are seriously tickled! LOL!
Old 04-18-07, 01:16 AM
Born again roadie

Bikes: 1986 Bianchi Giro (Campy C-Record), 1992 Basso Gap (Campy Victory), 2005 Lightspeed Ghisalo (105), 2002 Cannondale CAAD7 (Ultegra), 2006 Trek Madone (Dura Ace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik Arione. It looks uncomfortable at first glance but after you put a 50km's on it, its your friend for life. It holds my 6'2'' 250 pound ass in great comfort.
Old 04-19-07, 05:01 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by fay_yerng
Fizik Arione. It looks uncomfortable at first glance but after you put a 50km's on it, its your friend for life. It holds my 6'2'' 250 pound ass in great comfort.

WOW! if your ass is 6'2'' 250 pounds, how much do you weigh all together! LOL! (just a joke amongst us Clydesdales ) I now what you meant, but I couldnt help it!
Old 04-20-07, 11:43 AM
etd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main road bike has an Avocet O2 Air 40 in the Men's model (wider than Racing but narrower than Women). It has Cr-Mo rails and a leather cover. I paid $55 for this saddle in 2004. This was a special edition model (the Cr-Mo saddle normally came with a terrible synthetic cover) made especially for Palo Alto Bicycles which was (and perhaps still is) "owned" by Avocet.

Another road bike has a early 90s Vetta SP saddle that I picked up at an Oshman's Sporting Goods outlet for $4 about 10 years ago.

A saddle I wish I still had was a Avocet Racing 1 saddle that I bought from Colorado Cyclist for $20 in 1989. I put this saddle on my 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert. When I sold the bike in 1998, the saddle went with it. Oh well.

Bottom line is that I like saddles around 150 mm wide. I am 5"10 @ 205 lb. When I had my Centurion Ironman, I was a lot lighter, but I still liked wider saddles. Sit bone width does come into play.
Old 04-20-07, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently Brooks believes they break in. Taken from their website....

Dependant upon how toned a riders posterior is, a broken-in saddle may look deformed, but the rider will assure you that its comfort is unsurpassed. The leather however will still be firm. It will have just adapted to the riders anatomy -the perfectly broken-in saddle.
Remember: a broken-in Brooks saddle is the only saddle that will be exactly formed to your body, with an incomparable customized comfort. Therefore you cannot assume that someone else’s broken-in saddle is comfortable for you.
Old 04-20-07, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on a Selle Italia SLR and I like it.
Old 04-20-07, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This is my current saddle and it very comfortable. https://www.wtb.com/saddles_speedv.html. I'm presently 296 and started using it at 315.
+1

5'11" 210lbs.
Old 04-20-07, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etd
A saddle I wish I still had was a Avocet Racing 1 saddle that I bought from Colorado Cyclist for $20 in 1989. I put this saddle on my 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert. When I sold the bike in 1998, the saddle went with it. Oh well.
I'll have to go in the bike stable to check tomorrow, but I think I have an Avocet R-1 saddle in there that I was saving formy new build up ... for me it's just a saddle that I could replace for another -- maybe we could deal.
Old 04-21-07, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etd
I still have an Avocet Touring saddle purchased in the mid 70's. Great saddle. My son has it on his bike right now, and I'm riding a Brooks B-17.
Old 04-23-07, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B-17 Honey Brown with loads of Leather Conditioner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.