Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sentimental Value

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 12:12 PM
Don't Taunt Happyfunball

Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the Snake, Fuji Club SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sentimental Value

This has been weighing on my mind for quite a while, and I just can't seem to makes heads or tails of it. So hopefully you guys will be able to offer me the sound advice you usually do.

When is it time to replace a frame? I don't mean one that has been damaged in some way, but a frame that is up there in years and will probably never be considered a classic. Its only value is in the many hours of joy the rider gets from it. Do you replace the frame when the costs of upgrading components is significantly higher than the monetary value of the frame? Or do you replace the frame when you no longer enjoy riding it?
Old 06-04-03, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I force myself not to get attached to materialistic things. The way I force myself to do this is to buy and sell my "toys" on a regular basis. I've not kept any of my bikes for more than 3 years. I'm always onto something new. Not that the stuff is bad, or I'm not satisfied, just a change.

As a shop employee, I'm priveledged to buy at cheaper prices for my bikes/gear. This allows me to sell for less, so my stuff usually moves pretty quick. That makes things easier.

Now my wife on the other hand, HATES to get rid of stuff. She cried for days when we traded in her car. She will NOT sell her first mountain bike, even though she never uses it. She despises change. She's very regimented and it bothers her to go through the process of buying new stuff.

So, to answer your question. I replace my stuff/gear within a two year period to not loose too much on the cost. I've been know to buy a bike based on "color" alone. My stuff is also for sale "all the time".

My wife never sells her stuff and it sits and rots in the garage!

Have you considered donating your old bike to a charitable cause? That might make the process easier, knowing it's going to someone that would not normally be able to afford such a luxury.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-04-03, 12:52 PM
Don't Taunt Happyfunball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everytime I think of giving up my bike, I feel sad. I am just not ready to to get a new bike, I like what I have if only for the reason that it is my first road bike.
Old 06-04-03, 12:56 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's totally understandable. every time i get rid of a bike, i feel like i'm losing a member of the family.

i've pared it down to just three bikes right now, with the third up for sale. one of the ones i'm keeping has been with me since '92, and i can't imagine not having it. i'm hoping the new road bike makes the same impression on me.
Old 06-04-03, 01:11 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have to ask yourself why you want a new bike. Are you ashamed of it for some reason? Is it holding you back from enjoying riding?

If you like the ride and are happily pedaling along, why get a new bike? You'd be better off taking that money and spending it on something else. A bike tour, maybe? Some cool cycling clothes?

Someday you'll get the irresistible urge to get yourself a new bike. When the day comes that you feel happier with a new bike rather than the old bike, then just do it. And keep the old one around for sentimental value!

Just my $0.02

SteveE
Old 06-04-03, 01:15 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an early 1970s Urago 10-speed. It's a low-end French bike, heavy steel frame, odd French parts. I bought it used from my sister's boyfriend when we were all in college, and I rode it everywhere. Parts started breaking, and I couldn't find replacements. It hasn't been safe to ride for twenty years. I just hang on to it. It's moved with me more times than I can count. I suppose I will have to get rid of it eventually, but sentimental value is worth a lot.
Old 06-04-03, 01:25 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I plan to keep my present bikes indefinitely, and I retire a frame only when it breaks, which has happened to me three times so far. I appreciate the craftsmanship, beauty, practicality (e.g., wheel clearance), reliability, and ride quality of well-made old steel road frames enough that I am currently spending a few hundred dollars to have my 1959 Capo repainted at CyclArt. For club and sport riding, I do not really want anything tighter and stiffer than my 1982 Bianchi, and the prospect of a kilogram of weight savings does not excite me. Likewise, even though I work in high-tech, cutting-edge electronics, I do not need to be riding the latest, most advanced frame material or drivetrain system.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-04-03, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I say keep the bike.
when you buy a new frame, get new components, build
a whole new one (finances permitting).
My lugged steel trek is like an old friend, sure its not as
sure footed as my current ride, isn't as light or have
as many poseur points, but I like it.
I'm comfortable on it, I know all of the idiosyncracies of
the bike, its handling etc. I like taking it out for quiet
spins around the neighborhood, and the occaisional
long ride. Its like a favourite pair of jeans or a
well worn in chambray shirt.
Theres nothing that says you have to have only one bike!

If the fun is gone out of the bike, if it no longer sings
to you then yeah replace it. In this case no matter what
components you hang on it, you won't be satisfied IMHO.

For me monetary value, or classic worth, don't play into it.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 06-04-03, 06:07 PM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Cyclochica, I had my old Raleigh frame hanging in the basement, earlier this spring, I kinda noticed that with the cast off and left over parts I pretty well had enough parts to build another bike, so I started building on the frame, built it up and had another bike. My wife looked at me, and said, are you going to sell that?
typically, I said idunno...
Well its sold... and it was not easy, even though I wasnt all that pleased with the bike, I kinda feel crappy about letting it go. Maybe its because I built this one up from scratch?
Now Im thinking about maybe a single speed beater....

Old 06-05-03, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I still have my first "racer". Its pretty average, but I worked all summer hauling bales of straw to pay for it (£127 in 1978). When I moved to London, I build up a commuter beater bike that had no emotional attatchment, in case it got stolen.
Guess what. That bike is now as firmly attatched to me as my original machine.
You have to read "The Third Policeman" to understand why:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 06-05-03, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclochica

Sell it when you no longer enjoy riding it. Why sell it a second sooner? Some how selling and getting a new bike will cost money that you don't need to spend.

Joe
Old 06-05-03, 07:18 AM
Don't Taunt Happyfunball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Guys. This one was hard to figure out because it seems like so many cyclists I meet need to have the latest stuff, and I kind of feel like a leper since my bike isn't new. Everytime I go to a bike shop I always hear "I could sell you a bike for what it will cost to do what you want."

It is nice to know that there are people out there that understand my attachment to my bike.
Old 06-05-03, 08:16 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say ride it until it breaks or upgrading costs more or equal to a new rig. I do not get attached to my rigs I just like to ride em till they die then get a new one (usualy 3 to 5 yrs.).

Some times I will just get a new bike for the heck of it and keep the older one if a friend needs to borrow a bike.

Old 06-05-03, 08:25 AM
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
What? You mean your supposed to get rid of stuff?

My first road bike: 1986 Ross Centaur
Second: 1987 Specialized Allez se
Last : 1999 Lemond Zurich

I still have all three.

First mtb: 1992 Fat Chance Wicked
Second : 1999 Trek 930

I still have both. As well as many others.

Someone should have told me you weren't supposed to keep them all. My wife would certainly appreciate it.