Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A year later, it's 20 years ago

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Memory's a funny thing and maybe I don't really remember things as they were. I thought, at my peak, I was doing 25 miles a day, 3-4 days a week. I'm not so sure anymore that that was true but I DO know that I had reached a point where I went looking for climbs. Don't remember how long they were -not very, I'd guess- or how steep -quite so, in many cases- but I went after them. That was 20 year and 30-40 fewer pounds ago.

Fast forward to now: 54 years old, struggling to keep it under 200lbs, a year back in the saddle and it hit me that I'm doing 10-15 (20 max. Once) miles a day, 3-4 days a week and I'm looking for the climbs. Oh gawd, they're hard -harder, I'm sure- but there I am, climbing on my hybrid (can't wait to try a roadie on our hills). If they're anything over a mile and 6 or 7%, I have to stop to catch my breath but I'm not backing down either. I also try to make at least half my ride some kind of climb. I take the hard way home. I try to make it harder. I'm picking climbs and taking them on the pedals all the way up; then I go back around and do it again. Why? Because I can! Life is grand. The only bad thing is that it takes time away from my playing. But I don't mind a bit 'cause I'm out riding. What could be better?

Meanwhile, I've dropped 20 of those 30-40 lbs and gone from a 40" waist to a 38 (almost 36)" waist.
Long live the bicycle.
Old 04-18-07, 12:15 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great post! BTW - did you decide on your road bike? I remember you were looking at a few - wondering what you decided on.
Old 04-18-07, 12:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am 17 years into my resurgence on cycling- But in my teens- I never thought of cycling as a sport or thing to do- It was my mode of transport.
I live 30 miles from work and on the occasional Saturday I commute but It is a bit too far. Can't wait till the mode of transport becomes the bike again but that is just at weekends at present- Or holidays. Roll on 2012.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-18-07, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, as a kid, it was either the bike or the skates - those were my wheels. It all came so easily then.

No decisions on the roadie yet.
The LBS where I bought my Kaitai is having its annual SALE but they're having it durring the worst possible week for me to try and schedule some test rides. I don't really want to buy blind (duh). They have a LeMond Reno in stock -which is looking better and better at $750- and a Specialized Allez Triple Elite, which is a bit beyond my price range. The Reno looks like a real value. The sale runs through Saturday and there's supposed to be rain tomorrow and Friday. I can't go tonight and I'd be VERY hard pressed to go on Saturday.
Old 04-18-07, 03:20 PM
Old Enough to Know Better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did the time go?

Nice post.
Old 04-18-07, 07:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Way to go, Ken. You've come a long way in a short time.
Old 04-18-07, 07:49 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past year has been a good one for you....here's to many more just like it.
Congratulations! I love reading posts like this. It reminds me of why I love to ride.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-19-07, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken, that is a way cool attitude you are sporting there.