Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Forks pressed against headtube - problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm putting together a bike from mostly ebay parts and I have got it 90% working. My main issue is the forks and headset.

The frame is a Sintesi Matador and the carbon forks came supplied with it from an ebay seller, along with the integrated FSA headset. I'm not sure if there is a part missing from the headset but when I tighten the bolt on the top cap to remove the play from the forks it also seems to pull the top of the forks (just below the crown race) against the headtube causing friction and an inability to turn the forks.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a part from the FSA (Orbit CE?) integrated headset. I have the top cap and bolt, the upper cartridge bearings and the lower cartridge bearings (installed the correct way up) and the crown race. It would seem as if the cartridges aren't quite deep enough, or the crown race not big enough to prevent the forks from touching the frame.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-07, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Wrong headset for the frame? Integrated headsets aren't all the same.
Old 04-22-07, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can I tell which headset to use? Which measurements do I need to take? Sorry but I'm new to integrated headsets.
Old 04-22-07, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would start on the FSA and parktools websites first. This is FSA's headset download page https://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...oads&taxid=255.
(Park is not cooperating with me this morning)
Old 04-22-07, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After checking the park tool web site it looks like I need the "Integrated - angular contact 45 x 45 degree contact Campagnolo® Hiddenset standard" or the "Microtech® Integrated - non-angular contact - Frame has no angular contact."

I measured the inside diameter (ID) of the headtube where the bearings sit at 42mm, but my measuring tape is not hugely accurate for less than a millimetre. The contact point for the frame and bearings is at 90 degrees as shown in the image below. Based on this I guess its the non-angular contact type, ie the Microtech Integrated. Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-22-07, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, after further reading it looks like this frame almost certainly needs a Microtech headset, but where can I find one in the UK? Do other companies make compatible headsets?
Old 06-22-07, 04:34 AM
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds like the problem I'm having w/my 'new to me' Giant Bowery frame set. I purchased a Cane Creek IS headset and it's doing the same thing. I really want to build up this frame but I know I'll never buy a bike w/an integrated headset.

I'm gonna take the frame to a local Giant dealer and see if they can sort it out.
Old 06-22-07, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up solving the issue by getting a set of inserts directly from Cane Creek, which provided the required surface area for the bearings to seat against. They slip down inside the headtube and sit against the non-angled surface. The inserts have an angled surface that the bearings then sit on top of (or underneath on the bottom) and then everything is good after that. You may find you need some spacers above the ring that presses down on the bearings below the top cover.

See my post here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/290673-headset-does-need.html for an image of what the inserts look like.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-07, 08:11 AM
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cutia
I ended up solving the issue by getting a set of inserts directly from Cane Creek, which provided the required surface area for the bearings to seat against. They slip down inside the headtube and sit against the non-angled surface. The inserts have an angled surface that the bearings then sit on top of (or underneath on the bottom) and then everything is good after that. You may find you need some spacers above the ring that presses down on the bearings below the top cover.

See my post here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=290673 for an image of what the inserts look like.

Good luck!
Thx. I'll email Cane Creek right now.