Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

newbie needs advice on first folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello! i need something for commuting and the occassional joy ride. nothing heavy duty. looking to spend as little as possible.

which bike would be the better option amongst these two?:

this dahon classic

or

this 6 speed dahon

i know squat about bikes in general so in a sense the lighter/simpler the better, but i don't want to be pedaling in place due to inadequate gearing. help! also, advice on other models and vital accessories appreciated.
Old 04-23-07, 04:57 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I'd get a new one. Repairing an older Dahon can be... problematic in some cases.

Gearing on the Dahons, most folders actually, are usually pretty good. I wouldn't worry unless you're trying to climb the Alps.
Old 04-23-07, 07:22 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I understand as little as possible; but some notion of a budget and would be helpful. Otherwise there are just too many choices.
Old 04-23-07, 08:29 PM
Explorer

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice would be to wait, save, and buy a better bike. If your choice is only between the two you linked, go for the second one (the Boardwalk.)
Strida 5.0
Twenty project

— or not . . .
Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
Merlin Road flat bar project
Schwinn Twinn Deluxe
Old 04-23-07, 08:56 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can likely get a new Speed-7 for a bit more than $275. For occasional riding they are very good.

I do much of my casual riding on a Dahon Boardwalk single-speed.

You'll also get a guarantee with a new bike.
Old 04-24-07, 05:06 PM
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pfinarffle
. . . i know squat about bikes in general so in a sense the lighter/simpler the better, but i don't want to be pedaling in place due to inadequate gearing. help! also, advice on other models and vital accessories appreciated.
Since you don't know much about bikes right now (but you can teach yourself!). I'd give another vote for a new bike. Used bikes almost always have a least a few issues. Even if they're not that hard to fix, this can be a headache if you have no idea what to look for.

You might also want to spend a little more and buy through a shop, so that they can set it up and adjust it for you.

Regardless, I think that $275 is way too much for that "Classic" Dahon, regardless of how great condition it's in. List price for a 2007 Speed D7 is only $100 more than that. The "buy it now" price for the Boardwalk D6 is probably not much less than the original new price, and you have to pay shipping too.
Old 04-25-07, 06:27 AM
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too OLd!

The dahon Classic is too expensive and is(15 plus years)quite old.Between the two the 6 speed will have better parts availability.Check out the prices on new dahons if the 6 speed is very close in asking price just get a new one.
Old 04-25-07, 11:05 AM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My own 2 cents:

Do not settle on something that is way too much in price and is rather old technology. I would spend extra time while saving up more money educating myself on bicycles in general and folding ones in particular.

Dahons are an excellent folding bike to start off with. I agree with others that a new one should be considered over a used one just for the reason of warranty coverage and the bike shop's ability to tune it up and repair it if needed.

Don't settle on any old junk. There are some people out there that is willing to dump their old problems (a bike that is not quite right) onto you. Pick one that is best for you!
Old 04-25-07, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
My advice is along the same lines as everyone else - save up a little more and buy a new bike, preferabley through an LBS. I actually did the opposite and started with a used Raleigh Twenty that I modified. At the time, I had no bicycle experience whatsoever. However, I am a bit nerdy and wanted to learn for myself how to put my bike together. By striking up a friendship with my LBS guy, I was able to modify my bike and ended up with a nice ride in the end. I wouldn't suggest this route for most people, though. Get a new bike and save yourself some headaches.
Juan