Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are you doing for Bike To Work week?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 11:12 PM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

... Aside from your usual biking to work?

I joined the KCbike.info commuter challenge. My company has a (small!) team from last year. Teams and individuals compete against each other for miles commuted during the B2WW. I'm thinking of upping it and possibly trying to ride to and from work the entire distance (no bus!) the whole week. It's about 25-30 miles each way.

To put things into perspective, I was excited to meet my goal of 200 miles in march. I'm well on my way to beating my April goal of 300 miles for the month. Not terribly shabby when you consider I'm a clyde that just started back in August/September. Doing the math, if I can pull off a week of commuting only by bike, I will pretty much obliterate all of this month's mileage in a single week.

Anyone else planning on stepping it up for Bike To Work week? Try to brainwash a few cow-orkers into riding?
Old 04-25-07, 12:08 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well for one thing I'm going to ride my bike to work. No wait, I already do that.

I'm looking into organizing a workplace team for the challenge. I'm the only one of several hundred associates who bikes to work, so we don't have much chance of winning, but it would be fun to get a couple people turned on to commuting. I already registered but now I have to do the legwork. I can't join any of the group commutes because I work second shift. I'll go to the festival for sure, and if my work schedule permits, I'll go on either the advocacy ride or the Ride of Silence, maybe both.

(Even though I have a problem with the idea of having the Ride of Silence during Bike Week--bringing up killed cyclists doesn't seem like the best way to turn new people on to riding.)

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 04-25-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 05:22 AM
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who decides when bike to work week is? Seems like it's different in every state/county/zipcode/something. And it doesn't seem to exist some places.
Old 04-25-07, 06:11 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Biking to work. I am the only person who rides to bike in a 800+ employee location. There is not a snowball's chance of talking anyone else into riding to this work location given the local road conditions. Am I supposed to be doing something else?
Old 04-25-07, 06:23 AM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Biking to work. I am the only person who rides to bike in a 800+ employee location. There is not a snowball's chance of talking anyone else into riding to this work location given the local road conditions. Am I supposed to be doing something else?
I'm in pretty much the same boat, with more people in the building.

Things you can do, not that you're supposed to:

* Mention it to people to see if maybe they'd ride to the bus instead of all the way in.
* See if you have something like the KC Commuter Challenge. Just for giggles. https://kcbike.info/bike2work/2007/
* Participate in other Bike Week festivities, which seem to be happening in most major metro areas. It looks like in KC there are a few opportunities to meet cyclists for breakfast, dinner, and at the bar for a few cold ones.
Old 04-25-07, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be biking to work, of course! When I started at my current job, there were two of us who biked to work. First we converted my boss, then some co-workers and an intern. I believe the cyclocommuter ranks are at seven and growing, with interest from several more (and at least one more who commutes partially by running). That's just for an office with ~80 employees.

Then again, I do work in dirty hippie town
Old 04-25-07, 07:14 AM
La Paz Commuter

Bikes: Bortolussi (made in Germany), Titus Motolite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for one of the sponsors for the DC Bike to Work Day, so I'm going to try to get my coworkers on board. I'm inviting people to come to my house, leave their cars, and ride in on my route. Most folks live way out in the 'burbs, so this will provide one less excuse not to ride.
Old 04-25-07, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ironically, I'm going to miss it in DC this year- my dept is having an offsite training that day- about 30 miles from my house...
Old 04-25-07, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After last year I have half a mind to sit it out. Nutty cyclists riding the wrong way, taking up the entire trail, weaving, bobbing, etc.
Instead I will switch my worst offending MUP to a street route that week.
Old 04-25-07, 07:36 AM
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't even heard about it in ATL. I know its always in May, but I never hear any announcements until it is Bike to Work week.
Anyway, I won't be changing anything. I'll still commute as much as my schedule allows, like always.
Old 04-25-07, 10:23 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4.5 person company and I'm the only bike commuter. The ".5" does from time to time, I've heard, but not during the ~3 months I've been here. The Boss and one other employee live within a mile and change of here, though, so they have no excuse, I say! (the remaining employee lives 20-25 miles away so she gets a pass from me )

Edit: my point is that I'm going to try to get the Boss and the other guy to ride in at least once.
Old 04-25-07, 10:25 AM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Ill just be biking to work...
Old 04-25-07, 10:47 AM

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be biking to work 5 days a week. Wait! I do that now.

There are over 2000 employees here and the bike racks are usually filled and the bike lockers are always full. In our 38 personnell unit 3 of us bike commute, 2 bike commute in the summer only, 4 take local transit and the rest drives. As soon as these chilly mornings comes to pass there will be more bike commuters coming out of the woodworks. It's good, it's all good.
Old 04-25-07, 10:59 AM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one of up to eight fair-weather bike commuters, and the only foul weather bike commuter. I'll have to find out when bike-to-work week is this year. Last year, the weather wasn't really nice enough to convince anyone.
Old 04-25-07, 11:14 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not changing my schedule, since I already ride to work. There's a few fairweather commuters that I might be able to sway and get them riding in the whole week. I'll definitely get a bunch of people for May 18th, for bike to work day.
Old 04-25-07, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 06 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
There's a few fairweather commuters that I might be able to sway and get them riding in the whole week.
Why is fairweather such a dirty word? Can't I be fat if I want to? Or spare my physical energy to do and learn something new like salsa?

Peace
Old 04-25-07, 11:38 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DC Wheels
Why is fairweather such a dirty word?

Peace
It's all in the tone and context. In this case, I'm talking politely about people that just prefer not to ride to work in crummy weather. They're still bike commuters, just not year 'round. Mostly it's because they only live a short distance, and A) don't want to purchase a bunch of raingear for a 1 or 2 mile ride, or B) don't want to haul a towel and dry clothes to change when they get to work. Meh, their call, and nothing I can do about it but ask them to try riding for a whole week and see what they think about it.

If I'd have said "stinking inconsiderate fairweather Tour de MUP racer wannabes", then I'm being mean.
Old 04-25-07, 11:53 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
..or put it in bold red letters with surrounding it
Old 04-25-07, 12:05 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
It's all in the tone and context. In this case, I'm talking politely about people that just prefer not to ride to work in crummy weather. They're still bike commuters, just not year 'round. Mostly it's because they only live a short distance, and A) don't want to purchase a bunch of raingear for a 1 or 2 mile ride
1 or 2 miles?! I wouldn't bother using any wheels for that unless I had errands after work. Feet all the way. Well, maybe a kick-scooter.
Old 04-25-07, 12:22 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I'm promoting at my college. I have the student government involved and my design class making posters. This is the first time I've tried this. We'll have a rally at noon for a group photo. I'm hoping that more than 2 people show up.
Old 04-25-07, 12:47 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
Ironically, I'm going to miss it in DC this year- my dept is having an offsite training that day- about 30 miles from my house...
Isn't it bike to offsite training week also?

I'll be trying to enlist some newbies, and will help them out or even ride with 'em if they want. The boss just got a new bike and rode it in yesterday so I'm sure he'll ride some too.
Old 04-25-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just figured out one more thing I'm going to do for Bike To Work "Day".

I'm going to hit 4 Energizer stations along my route. I figure it will add 5 to 6 miles to my commute that morning. I'm greedy like that.
Old 04-25-07, 12:53 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
I just figured out one more thing I'm going to do for Bike To Work "Day".

I'm going to hit 4 Energizer stations along my route. I figure it will add 5 to 6 miles to my commute that morning. I'm greedy like that.
What's this about??? Something for free???
Old 04-25-07, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope so. Otherwise it will just be added mileage. The workstations I'm planning to go to are sponsored by the ff:

REI and VTA
Google
NASA/Ames
Moffett Park Business & Transportation

Hoping for some cool, minuscule, free stuff. Or am I setting myself up for some major disappointment.
Old 04-25-07, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am throwing a party. I put a challenge out back in March and a couple of guys have actually dusted off thier bikes and are getting out. We will throw a party on May 18th. I've actually logged the most miles so far cause I actually am car lite and everyone else is 10+ miles away from work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.