Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Any SS riders here sport coaster brakes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 08:38 AM
Accuracy is Speed

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 928 C2C w/ Ultegra compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would coaster brakes be an acceptable compromise that removes the need for any brake levers to maintain the simplicity of the SS bike? Or are coaster brake capable hubs either too el cheapo or too dangerous for this sort of activity?
Old 04-25-07, 09:01 AM
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a coaster brake bike, and it's the ****.

As I understand it, a coaster can fail on a long descent where you ride the brake, so if you live in a hilly area then get a front brake. I live where it's pretty flat, so I roll cable-less. Looks soooooo clean.

Be careful though, you'll get hooked on skidding, and next thing you know you'll be dumpster diving for new tires.

There's a thread here somewhere where a guy named jimv goes in depth, find that.
Old 04-25-07, 09:06 AM
Zig zag wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaster only is perfectly fine for casual use. Such utility/around-town bikes are everywhere in Europe, and people aren't getting killed by the thousand for brakes that failed when the chain snapped. But a brake is a brake, and I wouldn't bother if I were you and the hand brake(s) was working.
Old 04-25-07, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes and it rules. iv never had one fail and iv rode coasters most of my life.
Old 04-25-07, 10:24 AM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one and use it from time to time, It isn't a true ss, mine is a 3 speed S/A laced to a 27" rim.

It is fun, but I dont' get tooo crazy on it (no front brake).
Old 04-25-07, 10:25 AM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adagio Corse
Would coaster brakes be an acceptable compromise that removes the need for any brake levers to maintain the simplicity of the SS bike? Or are coaster brake capable hubs either too el cheapo or too dangerous for this sort of activity?
I coasters.
Mine have weathered some harsh commuting with
no ill effects at all. If anything I think they are
over-built because the types and shear number
of bikes they go opens them up to a lot more
consumer lawsuits, statistically than other types
of bikes.
I like to run a bigger back tire so it doesnt skid
as easily.
Old 04-25-07, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SS yes, fixed no way.
Old 04-25-07, 10:49 AM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's really not a huge difference between a breakless fixie (assuming a skilled rider) and a coaster brake only equiped bike. With both setups, the cranks need to be in a specific position before you can start stopping. Also, the rear tire does not provide as much traction for stopping as the front one does. Both bikes loose the ability to brake if the chain falls off or breaks. Both are less than ideal on big hills.

I put a front brake on my Tandem, but my other coaster bike has no front brake. I'd say if you have any large hills or want to ride fast, use a hand brake. (that's pretty much what I would tell someone on a fixed gear too)
Old 04-25-07, 11:38 AM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kemmer
There's really not a huge difference between a breakless fixie (assuming a skilled rider) and a coaster brake only equiped bike. With both setups, the cranks need to be in a specific position before you can start stopping. Also, the rear tire does not provide as much traction for stopping as the front one does.
I think there is a huge difference, I ride both and the coaster allows you to slow down on hills without the need to skip or skid (I use a front brake, but assuming brakeless). Unless you have tree-trunks for legs and bionic knees, there is a pretty big difference.
Old 04-25-07, 04:00 PM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
I think there is a huge difference, I ride both and the coaster allows you to slow down on hills without the need to skip or skid (I use a front brake, but assuming brakeless). Unless you have tree-trunks for legs and bionic knees, there is a pretty big difference.
Ok, assuming a skilled rider with tree trunks for legs and bionic knees, they are similar. I see your point, but I'm just trying to say that if you wouldn't feel safe on a brakeless fixie, a coaster only bike isn't that much better.
Old 04-25-07, 04:18 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wifey rocks a coaster and she loves it she is also a buck tweny soakin wet with a rock in her pocket
Old 04-25-07, 04:31 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
keep in mind that a coaster is inherently different from brakeless fixed because you shift weight backward to use the brake, somewhat counteracting the whole "front wheel braking is better thing." Unless you are riding clipless I guess, in which case the awesinineness of your bike grants you some kind of immortality anyway and you don't need to worry about stopping.
Old 04-25-07, 04:52 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Millions of third world coasties can't be wrong

This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-25-07, 04:56 PM
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Negative.
Putting a coaster brake on my bike would just about double the total weight and that little bracket would scratch my unobtainium frame.
Old 04-25-07, 04:56 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kemmer
Ok, assuming a skilled rider with tree trunks for legs and bionic knees, they are similar. I see your point, but I'm just trying to say that if you wouldn't feel safe on a brakeless fixie, a coaster only bike isn't that much better.

I'd wager a coaster brake failure is much less likely than a brakeless riders inability to control ones motion.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-25-07, 04:59 PM
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Millions of third world coasties can't be wrong

Funny, you use the term third world when they are obviously smarter than we are.
Old 04-25-07, 05:08 PM
Life moves in cycles

Bikes: Rare Conti-Ciocc road, Ricardo Elite, Eric Hendren fixie conversion, Skid Kid Speedway fixie conversion, antique Royal Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wish we could combine all these coaster threads into one - there's about three threads running all discussing the same issues. just about to build up a sweet brown Velocity Deep V with a coaster for my 700c frame. Running a front brake too, for nose wheelies if nothing else. Lovin' it.
Old 04-25-07, 05:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running a coaster as a messanger everyday for about a year now and i feel more in control of my bike than when it was fixed or when i was on a road bike. but what kind of hub you have can make all the differance. I started with a Shimano and loved it, then went to a Bendix red band, it was ok but the problems that it had were to perticular to go into detail about. i've used older perry and sturmey hubs and when it was really cold it would act like a broken freewheel and you would pedal forwards and the cog would move but it would drive the hub. Thankfully i never really hurt myself but i've defenatly fallen on to the bike and put both feet down to stop going somewhat fast. but the shimano didn't give me any problems untill about 6 months of riding (overhauling about twice a month, should have done it more often) when i replaced the entire innards. then that started to wear out too fast, so now i have an old Sachs and it has been pretty sweet. Also i have welded on a slotted tab to bolt the break arm to because i kept breaking straps. if you cant do this i would recomend doubling up on the strap if you are going to be riding this all the time. But don't forget to skid all the time, it's my favorite thing to do especialy when it's raining.
Old 04-25-07, 05:55 PM
Accuracy is Speed

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 928 C2C w/ Ultegra compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight of coaster hub vs. front lever brake set

Are coaster hubs that much heavier than non-coaster hubs that a front brake lever set would be the better choice, if weight was the issue? It seems that even though the coaster hub is heavier, it still can't be heavier than a brake lever/caliper combo, can it?

Trying to put together the "lightest" possible SS bike without it being a fixie (I got weak knees)
Old 04-25-07, 06:25 PM
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-25-07, 07:01 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
2007 Little 500 bike by Schwinn:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...s/03-28/Lil500

Shimano coaster.

TCS
Old 04-25-07, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on using a bigger back wheel. Alternate your neutral position so you brake with both legs. Panic stops can be a little iffy.
Old 04-25-07, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Mino Denti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noob alert! what is a coaster brake? any links to one? how does it work?

ps- im serious here, Im really asking.
Old 04-25-07, 10:26 PM
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
remember the way you stopped your bike when you were a kid by pressing back on your pedals? that.
Old 04-25-07, 11:29 PM
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDean
noob alert! what is a coaster brake? any links to one? how does it work?

ps- im serious here, Im really asking.
Like on a kids bike: pedal backwards to slow-down/stop/skid.