Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Question From Spectators

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 04-26-07, 01:33 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today when I stopped off at the grocery store on my recumbent everyone asked "How much does that cost?". Even a guy in a wheel chair stopped to ask me that question. The wheelchair guy explained that he thought he could ride a bike like mine. Usually people ask "What is it?" "Is it easy to ride?" Today, everyone asked the price and most also asked where to get one. People often talk to me when I'm on the odd looking bike but not this many. I expect one person to talk to me at a store stop. Sometimes no one says anything. I've had it in the neighborhood for like 6 years. I wonder if people are beginning to look at bike transportation differently in terms of doing it themselves?
Old 04-26-07, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note to self: time to buy better bike locks.
Old 04-26-07, 04:44 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
Today when I stopped off at the grocery store on my recumbent everyone asked "How much does that cost?". Even a guy in a wheel chair stopped to ask me that question. The wheelchair guy explained that he thought he could ride a bike like mine. Usually people ask "What is it?" "Is it easy to ride?" Today, everyone asked the price and most also asked where to get one. People often talk to me when I'm on the odd looking bike but not this many. I expect one person to talk to me at a store stop. Sometimes no one says anything. I've had it in the neighborhood for like 6 years. I wonder if people are beginning to look at bike transportation differently in terms of doing it themselves?
I've noted that many people are in the talking stage when it comes to bicycle transportation. When it comes to the doing stage... how many cyclists did you see on the roads last December or January?
Old 04-26-07, 05:16 PM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I've noted that many people are in the talking stage when it comes to bicycle transportation. When it comes to the doing stage... how many cyclists did you see on the roads last December or January?
Good point, and to elaborate a little:
The weather is just turning warm and people are looking at getting outside. That thought is on their mind and then they see you on a bike that looks comfortable. So they are curious because it seems to them that they finally can get out of doors and still be able to sit in their Lay-Z-Chair, at least that is how people view 'bent bikes.
Soon afterwards the novelty of it wears off and they are back home watching American Idol.
Old 04-26-07, 10:32 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually, I've seen a lot more than I used to. One or two years ago, I was virtually alone out there in cold weather. This year, including in the winter, I never rode anywhere without encountering several other cyclists. And now, of course, with the onset of slightly less wretched weather, bicyclists are out in swarms.
Old 04-26-07, 11:49 PM
Recumbent Commuter

Bikes: Sun Bicycles EZ-Sport CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, when I'm out riding my 'bent I get the 'how much does that cost, where did you get it questions' from people a lot. I usually tell them 'oh they start about 300.00 but you can find them cheaper used or build one using two old bikes'.

I don't go into the actual cost of mine. And I use two locks. Everywhere.
Old 04-27-07, 01:08 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traicovn
Yeah, when I'm out riding my 'bent I get the 'how much does that cost, where did you get it questions' from people a lot. I usually tell them 'oh they start about 300.00 but you can find them cheaper used or build one using two old bikes'.

I don't go into the actual cost of mine. And I use two locks. Everywhere.
I hadn't gotten such persistent cost questions before and feel uncomfortable telling strangers the cost but also uncomfortable lying to them. I use a heavy chain lock on it everywhere. I have to agree that I've seen more people biking in the winter than I used to. People have to think or imagine something before they do it and talking helps them imagine so when they talk to me I don't blow them off but act like they'll join me some day and see for themselves how wonderful bike transportation is.
Old 04-27-07, 11:22 AM
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
I hadn't gotten such persistent cost questions before and feel uncomfortable telling strangers the cost but also uncomfortable lying to them. I use a heavy chain lock on it everywhere. I have to agree that I've seen more people biking in the winter than I used to. People have to think or imagine something before they do it and talking helps them imagine so when they talk to me I don't blow them off but act like they'll join me some day and see for themselves how wonderful bike transportation is.
Just say "it's a friend's bike". A lie is the only answer to an imposing question, even if it's not meant to be rude.

I don't tell people I have 80 bucks on me when asked "Got any spare change".
Old 04-27-07, 11:36 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
A hell of a lot more than I used to!

"Think Outside the Cage"