Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

switching to drop bars with MTB (deore) derailleurs???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 05:24 PM
breaking away

Bikes: 05 fuji roubaix, 1977 Motobecane Grand Touring fixie conversion, 1971 Raleigh Super Course fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my lady wants me to switch her Surly Crosscheck that's set up as a touring bike with 32mm tires from a flat bar with deore components (drivetrain and brakes) to some drop bars cause she sees my road and a fixie with drops and she's comfy enough on her bike now for the drops. I can find the bars no problem, my worry is her flat bar shifters/brake levers will not translate to some road drop bars... Does anyone know whether I can get a "flightdeck" like my road Shimano 105 get up and will it still pull the derailleur cables the right amount for her to shift? Any input/ links with info, virtually anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 04-26-07, 05:32 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear shifting isn't a problem, the front is, unless you go friction shifting, which you will with bar ends.
Old 04-26-07, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Rear shifting isn't a problem, the front is, unless you go friction shifting, which you will with bar ends.
That about says it all...

You use Shimano STI, you will have to change the front derailleur to a road-style one, but no other major changes to the drive-train are needed. You use bar-end shifters and the shifting should still work with the current drive-train, provided that the bar-end shifters either:

1) Match the amount of cogs on the cassette (i.e. Shimano Ultegra bar-ends are 8-speed, and will work with 8-speed rear cassettes).

OR

2) Has a friction-shifting option for the rear cassette, in which case, it could be used with just about any cassette. The front derailleur shifter for bar-ends is usually friction-only, which means that it could be used for just about any derailleur.
Old 04-26-07, 05:52 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OR You can use bar end shifters from Rivendell and use whatever you want.
Old 04-26-07, 09:19 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I'd try the new set up with the current derailleur and see if it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, a new FD is a pretty cheap and simple fix.

Don't give 100% credence to Shimano's compatibility charts. I am currently using a "flat bar" specific FD with a set of R500 8 speed brifters.
Old 04-27-07, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by banzai_f16
I'd try the new set up with the current derailleur and see if it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, a new FD is a pretty cheap and simple fix.

Don't give 100% credence to Shimano's compatibility charts. I am currently using a "flat bar" specific FD with a set of R500 8 speed brifters.
+1. If it was my bike, I'd definitely give it a try to see it I could make it work. Flat bar shifters will definitely work with road bike front derailleurs, but I've heard conflicting results from people who have tried the opposite.

Replacing the front derailleur might not be a simple fix. Road front derailleurs are all bottom pull design. Most mountain style bikes use top pull derailleurs and the cable stops and guides will be in the wrong places.
Old 04-27-07, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the current Shimano MTB lineup for front deraileurs. Most are dual pull and can be used with top or bottom pull cable routing.
Old 04-27-07, 02:16 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by oldokie
Check the current Shimano MTB lineup for front deraileurs. Most are dual pull and can be used with top or bottom pull cable routing.
Right, but the road derailleurs are all bottom pull.