Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Choosing a GPS

Old 04-27-07, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Street Machine, Rans Force 5, Cannondale R500, Schwinn Circuit, Dawes Double Blue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a GPS

After seeing the value of GPS while riding a brevet at night, I am considering purchasing one. Garmin seems to have the greatest variety of handheld units, but I have Delorme mapping software and have been giving thought to the Delorme Earthmate; another possibility are the Magellan handhelds.

For Randonneuring, it seems to me that the training type of GPS, such as the Garmin Edge, would be less useful than models that can show a map. Then battery life is a consideration. Replacing batteries on a long brevet seems more time efficient than trying to find an outlet and waiting for a recharge.

What has been your experience with using a GPS as a navigation aid on brevets? Have any makes or models worked especially well for you?
Old 04-27-07, 03:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Quest for the past year and a half; I've found it to be excellent, useful, reliable, and one charge will last all weekend. The longest ride I've used it on is 111 miles at which point the battery was about half empty.

- Wil
Old 04-27-07, 06:43 PM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rafael
After seeing the value of GPS while riding a brevet at night, I am considering purchasing one. Garmin seems to have the greatest variety of handheld units, but I have Delorme mapping software and have been giving thought to the Delorme Earthmate; another possibility are the Magellan handhelds.

For Randonneuring, it seems to me that the training type of GPS, such as the Garmin Edge, would be less useful than models that can show a map. Then battery life is a consideration. Replacing batteries on a long brevet seems more time efficient than trying to find an outlet and waiting for a recharge.

What has been your experience with using a GPS as a navigation aid on brevets? Have any makes or models worked especially well for you?
Check out the Randon group.
Do a search before you ask... this comes up quite often, and I'm sure there are lots of threads about it.
Old 04-27-07, 07:27 PM

Bikes: Street Machine, Rans Force 5, Cannondale R500, Schwinn Circuit, Dawes Double Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
search[/URL] before you ask... this comes up quite often, and I'm sure there are lots of threads about it.
Always a good reminder, thank you. I had searched. "GPS" yielded no results. "Garmin", many, but mostly on Road Cycling with the Garmin 305 garnering the most discussion. These and other searches left me with some unanswered questions. As model turnover is high in consumer electronics, I felt comments more than a year old could give a general impression about a manufacturer, but would not be so valuable regarding current models. Also, I wanted to field Randonneuring specific comments.
Old 04-27-07, 11:03 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just went through this process and ended up with a Garmin Vista Cx and MapSource City Navigator NT.

I'll be using for the first time on a 200K tomorrow. Programing the route was a snap.

Last edited by vik; 04-29-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 05:25 AM
Mike

Bikes: Cignal Silverado MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=vik]I just went through this process and ended up with a Garmin Vista Cx and MapSource City Navigator NT.

I also ended up with the Vista Cx. One sway point was the 32 hour advertised battery life. Ability to add topo maps another bonus.
Old 04-28-07, 06:31 AM
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Always a good reminder, thank you. I had searched. "GPS" yielded no results. "Garmin", many, but mostly on Road Cycling with the Garmin 305 garnering the most discussion. These and other searches left me with some unanswered questions. As model turnover is high in consumer electronics, I felt comments more than a year old could give a general impression about a manufacturer, but would not be so valuable regarding current models. Also, I wanted to field Randonneuring specific comments.
Yes, that is why the search I linked to was on the Randon group...
Old 04-28-07, 08:09 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=mjww]
Originally Posted by vik
I just went through this process and ended up with a Garmin Vista Cx and MapSource City Navigator NT.

I also ended up with the Vista Cx. One sway point was the 32 hour advertised battery life. Ability to add topo maps another bonus.
and a barometric altimeter so you can tell just how scenic the route you cycled was....
Old 04-28-07, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please accept my apology, bmike - I misunderstood your post. Thank you for pointing the way to the Google Randon group.

vik, thank you for the suggestion. 2000k???
Old 04-28-07, 11:46 AM
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please accept my apology, bmike - I misunderstood your post. Thank you for pointing the way to the Google Randon group.
no worries. i try not to be a smart *** on this forum. plenty of that elsewhere on the forums.
Old 04-28-07, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just use the old fashion compase
Old 04-29-07, 08:38 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PIZZ
i just use the old fashion compase
I don't even use a compass...I just use the old fashion paper maps! Way cheaper then a GPS. I put the area of the map that I'm using in the clear plastic holder made for maps on my handlebar bag. Never gotten lost yet, and I've been doing this way for over 30 years including while driving in a car. Only time I get lost is in large city streets where some minor streets are not mentioned, but at least on a bike you can always find someone you can ask directions; thus I've never been lost in a major way. Besides getting lost is just part of the adventure!

But if your riding off road on remote unfamilar unmapped trails a GPS might be a good idea.
Old 04-29-07, 09:26 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

vik, thank you for the suggestion. 2000k???

Sorry that should have been 200K - I'm only a newbie rando so I am working up my way up the foodchain. 2000K rides will have to wait a while....

I had social commitments and I am recovering from some surgery so I ended up only riding 145K of the brevet route, but the GPS worked flawlessly and when I decided to cut off two smaller loops so I could get home on time the GPS figured out what I was doing and routed me to the correct waypoint without any need for input.

I think the longer the ride and the worse the weather the GPS will be a very nice tool to have. You can also shut it off and just ride for long sections with easy navigation.
Old 04-30-07, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Look 585, Co-Motion Periscope 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, I also have the Garmin Vista Cx. I chose it because of its practicality; being able to do geocaching as well as navigation on the bike or car. My only complaint is that you can't download the profile information of a route in detail. You can download the route (or "track") but the Garmin software offers no way to analize your elevation information.

Is there another tool out there that can interface with the Vista and do profile analysis?
Old 05-01-07, 10:55 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetnsourbkr
FWIW, I also have the Garmin Vista Cx. I chose it because of its practicality; being able to do geocaching as well as navigation on the bike or car. My only complaint is that you can't download the profile information of a route in detail. You can download the route (or "track") but the Garmin software offers no way to analize your elevation information.

Is there another tool out there that can interface with the Vista and do profile analysis?
You can upload your tracks to motionbased.com and get plenty of statistics, including an elevation plot and total climb. motionbased.com is a free service (with restrictions).

You could also purchase a copy of TopoUSA and download your tracks to it to see the elevation data.
Old 05-01-07, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Look 585, Co-Motion Periscope 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks supcom. I will try the motionbased.com suggestion. I thought they only support the FRs and the Edges.
Old 05-01-07, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions.

To PIZZ and froze: I like maps, too, but it is hard to get maps that show the roads favored by RBA's. For example, I went to Kentucky for a 300k and tried to find a map: the choices were a map that showed the main routes, but not the smaller roads, and a topographic style map that showed but did not name those roads. Fortunately, I had downloaded maps from TopoUSA onto my PDA, so I had detail avaliable.

On the recent brevets, except for one turn, the cue sheet and painted arrows on the road were adequate - in daylight. At night, I find it slows me a lot to follow a cue sheet bouncing in the glare of my headlamp, and to see faded arrows on the road. Hence the GPS inquiry.
Old 05-01-07, 08:36 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While true most paper maps do not show smaller streets, maps like Streets and Trips do allow for that kind of detail, as do Thompson Guides which are paper base. But RBA's as you noted provide you with a cue sheet that will show any smaller roads you might have to take. But I don't think a GPS will show you the route of a RBA either; unless somehow that route can be programed. But I knew a 64 year old woman touring across the US used nothing but paper maps.
Old 05-02-07, 07:38 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
While true most paper maps do not show smaller streets, maps like Streets and Trips do allow for that kind of detail, as do Thompson Guides which are paper base. But RBA's as you noted provide you with a cue sheet that will show any smaller roads you might have to take. But I don't think a GPS will show you the route of a RBA either; unless somehow that route can be programed. But I knew a 64 year old woman touring across the US used nothing but paper maps.
There are GPS models that can be downloaded with routable street maps and programmed for a specific route. I use a GPS all the time for brevet routes.