Old 04-29-07, 06:55 PM
bring back ASCII art

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recommendations for mudguards

Greets again fellow treadlers,

Just wondering from your collective experiences if anyone can recommend a brand of road or tourer bike mudguard, more readily available down-under. I'm talking more the traditional style, covering around half of the arc of each wheel, attached with additional stays to frame eyelets... I want some better protection for me & my drivetrain.

now it seems winter has begun, at least in Perth... the less excuses I have beyond basically 'it just p!55ing down outside' for not commuting, the better.

Last edited by HappyHumber; 04-29-07 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-01-07, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I can recommend the SKS Chromoplastics. https://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l...t&i=6409800121

I bought my set of the 35mm width guards from St Kilda Cycles in Melbourne for my current winter bike project (old steel frame with eyelets I had resprayed and building with old spare parts) after the recommendation from a work colleague. He uses these on his commuter and as he doesn't own a car he needs the best protection from the elements!

The previous set of full guards I had were Zefals with quickclips (checking the zefal site it looks like they have redesigned them) and were useless. The quickclips stopped holding the guard soon after fitted so I was forced to use quantities of electrical tape to make them last the one winter!
Old 05-03-07, 10:28 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SKS are good. They are pretty secure. I occasionally need to adjust them, but not often, usually after taking the bike off road.
Old 08-01-07, 08:09 PM
pal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Soma Eurotrip fenders which have been very good.
Old 11-15-08, 04:19 AM

Bikes: Monfoose Tyax MTB, Optima Lynxx Recumbent, TW Bents trailer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Hum,
I got a pair of graphite guards fitted to my new recumbent which has a rear shock and they looked good and worked well until the rear guard snapped from vibe flex. I patched it several times with roof & gutter silicon but over time that even wore out. The front guard is still AOK. I have a touring panier rack over my rear wheel and so I glued together two side sections of a 2.4l Berri juice bottle and cable tied them to the undersiide of the rack. I left the front section of the damaged guard in place. This seems to have done the trick. There is stiil enough clearance between the guard and the tyre even when I hit a bump. I live in Tully and I have ridden to Cooktown return. There was some pretty wet sections. I have had no more worries with my new (cheap) rear guard..
rt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mudguard1.jpg (107.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-16-08, 02:55 AM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Hmmm, dead thread.
Ah well, I don't care
Old 11-22-08, 05:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my bike came with sks mudgaurds and i can vouch they work very well. my jean bottom was practically dry despite the heavy rain down poor.