Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

(Chain) Lubrication on Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-01-07, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[Good to always clarify your thread titles.]

Anyhow, we all know that keeping the drivetrain properly oiled/waxed/smoothed can be difficult on tour. I was reading some blog of Aussies doing a world tour some time ago, and they kept mentioning a 'needle oiler' that they used but is no longer available (at least to them). I believe they had instructions on making their own, which is neat...

But the stuff they referred to is the SFR Precision Oiler, and I ordered some for my tour, and yeah. It runs out VERY slowly and seems to work just fine. (I think this is more a characteristic of the applicator than the oil/lubricant itself.) I toured for 4 months, oiling at least every other day, and the only reason I bankrupted one of those tiny bottles is because I sat on it and it spilled everywhere... : (

What do you use on tour? Anything special?

[link for Needle thingie: https://www.sfrcorp.com/product/1 ]
Old 05-01-07, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri-Flow in a squeeze bottle. Small (1.5 or 2 oz?), with a plastic 'needle' tube.

-- Mark
Old 05-01-07, 12:33 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I use Pedro's, works well! Bottle has an applicator tip.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-01-07, 02:43 PM
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by awc380
[Good to always clarify your thread titles.]

Anyhow, we all know that keeping the drivetrain properly oiled/waxed/smoothed can be difficult on tour.
What do you use on tour? Anything special?

[link for Needle thingie: https://www.sfrcorp.com/product/1 ]
One my world tour I cleaned my chain and cogs with gasoline and a toothbrush (make sure ya grab the right one at night when ya go brush your teeth), spray emn with wd-40 if I got it; and use a small can of 3 in one oil if I do not. Of course whipe off the excess oil with a rag so the chain doesn't attract grit. The oil rag makes a good bug repellent.

roughstuff
Old 05-02-07, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In emergencies I have raided gas station bins for motor oil containers. The dregs are more than enough to lube a chain but oil is too sticky and attracts grit.
These days I carry a small bottle of Finish Line.
Old 05-06-07, 05:29 AM
A long distance Newbie

Bikes: Mountain Bike so far....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ,

I bought a lube made by Weldtite, called TF2 plus+ . Its a Dry lubricant with Teflon. I used it today to oil up the chain, strange stuff, never seen anything like it, it kinda solidifies around the chain.

Anyone got any advice on how i should use this??? Wipe of excess? Rub it in? Use sparingly??

Also, due to its solidifying to fat texture, i dont know whether its totally suitable for the cogs.. as it seems like it could clog up with dirt.. The instructions say, use on chains gears and cables...

/ Managed to get some rust on my chain after a week of owning it, i thought it was well oiled when i bought it, maybe just the Spanish Climate im not used to..
Old 05-06-07, 06:51 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about rust on the chain. You put a new chain on every year anyway. And I thoroughly recommend investing in one of these suckers: https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=5&item=CC%2D3