Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N. CA Trip Bicycling Suggestions for a 67+'r

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 05:44 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Trip Bicycling Suggestions for a 67+'r

May 12, we are going to CA with the following Itinerary:

May 12, 13, 14, 15 - Staying at Half Moon Bay, trips to Stanford, Monterrey planned.

May 16, 17 - San Francisco downtown at Westin Hotel - our son and daughter-in-law are receiving a prestigious award on the 17th, which is why we are going to CA in the first place.

North on US Highway 1
May 18, 19 - Gualala (Fort Bragg was entirely booked for two big weddings)

May 20, 21 - Eureka

May 22, 23 - Gold Beach, Oregon

May 24, 25 - travel back to San Jose on I-5

May 26, Return to Denver

We like to bike along the way, and will be renting bikes as appropriate. Due to her recent knee replacement, my wife (69yo) will likely not be able to bicycle more than about 10-12 miles or so at a time, emphasizing level ground. She does NOT ride in road traffic, although a little-traveled country road is ok.

Any suggestions for things to do on the trip or bicycling along the way?

Thanks.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-04-07 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-07, 06:47 PM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on how much climbing you want to do. Highway 1 south of HMB is beautiful for riding. You can go all the way to Santa Cruz and back if you want. If you want something milder, ride Canada Rd. from the intersection of Route 92 south to Woodside and back. Canada Rd is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays so it's full of bikers. You can park on the north end. Have lunch at Buck's cafe in Woodside while you're there. You'll have plenty of cycling company. Anywhere on the north coast it's Hwy 1.
Old 05-04-07, 06:52 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Boy…the one thing that is tough to find in the Bay area is flat terrain. We have very little. However, the scenery is beautiful, the restaurants are great and the wine fabulous. I would post this on the NoCal regional forum and others may be able to offer bike path routes that are flatter. Generally, in the Bay Area, drivers are used to a lot of cyclists and are very courteous. There are wide bike lanes in some areas. We are relatively new to the area and we do not know all the bike paths and easy routes. We ride along Skyline and climb up the mountain.

We live in San Mateo which is due east (sort of) from Half Moon Bay. Between Half Moon Bay and the East Bay is Skyline which rises 2200 feet. The biking along Skyline and the climbs are beautiful and one climbs and descends through the redwoods. From the top of Skyline there are views of the bay to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west. There is biking along Highway 1 North and South from Half Moon Bay. It can still be a little hilly and there will be wind. Biking where I live is flat along the East Bay on the bike path but not very picturesque. IN SF, you can rent a bike and ride next to the bay. It is flat but not really exciting. You can ride over the Golden Gate Bride to Marin but that is also a little hilly. From SF, I would rent bikes and take a ferry over to Sausalito and pick up the bike path and ride along the bay. The route is flat and has great views of the city. However, it is short and to get any distance, you will encounter hills. If you have Google Earth, check out the terrain.

The other idea is to go to the wine country. In general, Napa and Sonoma have hills but there are more flat roads or rolling hills than the Peninsula. Also, there is always the wine.

Monterey is very special and worth the trip. We have biked 17 mile drive and it is easy but not real easy – there are some hills with traffic.

I wish I had more ideas for you that matched your needs. Good luck on the trip and welcome.
Old 05-04-07, 06:58 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Boy…the one thing that is tough to find in the Bay area is flat terrain. We have very little.
Originally Posted by dck
Depends on how much climbing you want to do.
Thanks for your great responses.

My son graduated from Stanford Law School, and over the 3 years that he was there we visited a number of times. Also, I had my atrial fibrillation ablation done in Marin County, so we are just a bit familiar with that area. Muir Woods, Golden Gate, etc.

It is a beautiful area, and we are looking forward in particular to exploring the rugged coast north of SF into Oregon.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-04-07, 07:00 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by dck
If you want something milder, ride Canada Rd. from the intersection of Route 92 south to Woodside and back. Canada Rd is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays so it's full of bikers. You'll have plenty of cycling company. Anywhere on the north coast it's Hwy 1.
+1 We ride this route all the time and it is great. The closing is only for a couple of miles so your wife would have to ride on the road with traffic. There are wide bike lanes and because of the closure, traffic in the open area is lighter. Locals consider this route easy, but there is some climbing on 3% to 4% grade hills.
Old 05-05-07, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Trek oclv 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Gold Beach, Or. There are several great rides. 1. North side of the bridge- park across from Jots Motel, ride along that road west and it turns into the old coast hwy. There are very few cars and it is about 8 miles round trip. 2. South side of bridge is jerry's Flat Rd. Riding there is along the Rogue Rive mostly. Very few cars, you car ride as far as you want up the river or cross the Lobster Creek Bridge and return down the North Bank rd. About 22 mile that way. Both of these are rolling hills. You can also see maps at https://www.oregoncoastcyclingfestival.com/ Even riding down 101 (the main drag) has wide bike lanes. Hope that helps. E mail me if you want a riding partner to ride along with.
Old 05-05-07, 07:43 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by gary c
I live in Gold Beach, Or. There are several great rides. 1. North side of the bridge- park across from Jots Motel, ride along that road west and it turns into the old coast hwy. There are very few cars and it is about 8 miles round trip. 2. South side of bridge is jerry's Flat Rd. Riding there is along the Rogue Rive mostly. Very few cars, you car ride as far as you want up the river or cross the Lobster Creek Bridge and return down the North Bank rd. About 22 mile that way. Both of these are rolling hills. You can also see maps at https://www.oregoncoastcyclingfestival.com/ Even riding down 101 (the main drag) has wide bike lanes. Hope that helps. E mail me if you want a riding partner to ride along with.
Great. Thanks

Can we rent bikes, expecially a "women's" bike (Mixte) for my wife?
Old 05-05-07, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Trek oclv 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some years ago there was a place down by the port that rented bikes, but I don't think I saw they there last years. Think they closed up. Very small town here. You could check with the Chamber of Commerce maybe but sure.
Old 05-05-07, 09:26 AM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Napa valley area is very nice this time of year. You can take a lazy ride and stop for wine or lunch or both. V. Sattui Winery in St Helena has a great deli and picnic area as well as barbecue on site. They also do not charge for tastings, something rare these days. There are several places to rent bikes in that area. They can hook you up with a map and suggestions for rides. The terrain is fairly flat with some easy rollers. Check out this google search https://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

If you are going to Gualala check out this link for Bike rentals in the Santa Rosa area. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...sa&btnG=Search

It is not far from that area. It is a little hillier there but the bike shops can give you good information.

Welcome to N Cal. Hope your visit is fun.
Old 05-05-07, 10:34 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
May 12, 13, 14, 15 - Staying at Half Moon Bay, trips to Stanford, Monterrey planned.
Thanks.
Definately rent bikes in Monterey, there is a paved bike path that goes north of town for quite a distance, but just riding around the town is a lot of fun. Monterey Bay Aquarium is a MUST SEE.

West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz and the funky laid back downtown area make a fun few miles. From the West Cliff area you can visit the Long Marine Lab, then hook up with Hwy 1 going north which is relatively flat for a few miles. Not sure where to rent bikes but I remember there are several.

I'm not certain about Half Moon Bay but Hwy 1 south of the town is flat. Watch out for those coastal headwinds.
Old 05-05-07, 09:00 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can start at Sports Basement, at the SF base of Golden Gate Bridge (across from Crissy Field, and ride across the Bridge. It great experience. You can travel down into Sausalito, but there is a good hill and the traffic can be a bit intimidating, but it is a well-used bike route. Then there is a bike path out across the flats in Mill Valley. Great Tacos at Salsalito. Bike shops: Bicycle Odyssey and Mike's Bikes (and Sports Basement).
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades