Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant DX, Trek 7100 or Specialized Crossroads?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am shopping for a hybrid bike in the $300 range, and came down to a short list of 3 bikes:

Giant Hybrid DX
Trek 7100
Specialized Crossroads Sport

all of them have aluminum frames, Giant has a seat post and front suspensions, but I am not sure I care about those. Women's frame is a plus and both Giant and Trek have those, I am not sure about Specialized.

Does anyone have opinions to sway me one way or the other?
I am going to test them out on Sunday, but they are very similar products and I am afraid I won't be able to determine a clear winner by riding them.
Old 06-12-03, 03:50 PM
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giant offers a little more bang for the buck, I think, although some of that is soaked up by the unnecessary front shock. Shocks on bikes like this, IMO, simply add weight and maintenance with no real benefit.

But an 8-speed drivetrain is worth having, vs a 7-speed.

I don't see a lot of difference in the actual geometry between the men's and women's frames here, so unless you plan to ride in a skirt I wouldn't worry about the distinction. Conventional wisdom says the standard diamond-frame design will be stronger and more rigid.

What should sway you the most is which shop you like the best. Which one spends the most time on fitting and lets you take a useful test ride. Which one had the best reputation and will give you the best support after the sale. Which one (and here's the clincher) will absolutely refuse to sell you a bike that doesn't fit. The differences in the bikes themselves are less important than the differences among the shops.

RichC
Old 06-12-03, 03:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for the advice. Giant and Specialized are sold at one shop, and Trek at another, plus there is a third store that I plan to stop by, and I don't know what they carry.
I think you are right, it will come down to the store. I was at the Performance Bikes on Sunday and was disgusted with their service. I will gladly pay more for the same bike elsewhere, but have someone spend time on me.

About the front shock: there is another Giant Cypress model, DX, that doesn't have shocks, is about $50 cheaper, but it comes in a steel frame, which I assume is heavier. I don't know if aluminum vs steel is so important.
Old 06-12-03, 04:38 PM
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anuta,

Yeah, you probably want to avoid the "hi-tensile steel" frames. Chromium-Molybdenum ("cro-moly") steel is a whole other story, but rare in hybrids. One hybrid that comes with a cro-moly frame and rigid cro-moly fork is the Marin Kentfield; a very nice bike in the $300 class. Another is the Bianchi Avenue.

If you can find shops that carry these brands, they'd be worth a visit for another reason: they tend (in my experience) to be better shops. Both manufacturers' websites have deal locator tools.

Performance Bike stores seem to vary considerably, probably according to the standards of the local manager. The one near me is an excellent store. Sundays in the summer are probably not the best time to visit any bike shop, of course.

Good luck!

RichC
Old 06-12-03, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look at the Treks, you might want to look at the 7500fx. It's a little more expensive, but will offer a lighter, more zippy ride. Same with the Specialized-you might want to look at the Sirrus hybrids too.
Old 06-12-03, 10:17 PM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Crossroads is available in a women's model and has the suspension seatpost and fork as on the Giant. As has been said before, balance the bike you are most comfortable on with the shop that you like the best.
Old 06-13-03, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a road bike primarily, but recently got a Trek 7300 to use as an "all around" bike. I really like it. The front suspension is not too heavy, the seating is definitely upright for cruising, and it has eyelets for a rack, etc. So far it is very comfy and fun to ride! Got a 2002 and so got it at less cost, $399. You might look at 2002 models.
Old 06-13-03, 08:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ChiliDog,

thank you. I really don't want to spend more than $400, and I also need to buy accessories and clothes since I am just starting out.. I will look for last year's models, but its unlikely that I find any, bike shops around here are doing very good business right now - I stopped by Performance bikes a few days after delivery, and they didn't have the bike I wanted to try in my size, and I am very average size for a woman. But who knows, if the bikes you mentioned are within my price reach for some reason, I will definitely consider them.
Old 06-13-03, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waldo,
thank you for your advice. I didn't known the Crossroads was available in a woman's frame, but I just went back to their website and this information was hidden within the "geometry" window. Its good to know.
Old 06-16-03, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everybody,
I got my bike yesterday!

I ended up with Specialized Crossroads Sport.
Trek 7100 felt very similar, but the store was farther from where I live.

I was biased toward the Giant, I thought I'd end up buying it; but it didn't feel as good as Specialized in the front (handlebars-front wheel and fork assembly), even though it was a bit fancier and lighter...
Old 08-20-06, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
specialized crossroads sport or trek 7100 ?

i have my choices down to the sport or trek 7100....... i was able to ride the sport and it felt very good....... previous posts say that the 7100 is very similar, however trek lbs did not have it in my size for a test

i would like to purchase without waiting....... should i hold off until the 7100 is available for test or go with the sport (which felt very good)

thanks
rich
Old 08-19-11, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for the perfect comfort/hybrid bike for a 68 yr old woman

Hi... I'm a 68 yrs young woman (5'4") needing to get onto the local dirt towpath and paved streets of town. My ideal bike would cost $350 give or take, aluminum, 7-or-8-speed, scooped easy on/off styling, chain cover, fenders, shock-absorbing seat post and sit-up position. I've been told to look at Giant, Trek, and Specialized. Seems that when I find the 'right look' it doesn't have fenders..... or when I find fenders, it doesn't have a seat with shock absorber, etc. etc. The Diamondback Kalamar "Della Cruz 2" (by Raleigh) comes pretty close, but doesn't have some of my 'requirements.' Can anyone put it all together for me in one bike? I sure could use some help. ;o)
Old 08-19-11, 04:10 PM
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about fenders, the shop can put those on for you. Giant, Specialized, GT, Fuji - lots of good brands. Focus on the bike that is most comfortable for you and add the 1 or 2 items that you want (or live without them).
Old 08-22-11, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jimi77. I'm now excited about trying out the ELECTRA TOWNIE EURO 8D, from REI sports. It's rather high-priced though so must look for last year's model on sale.
Old 08-22-11, 08:25 AM
Used & Abused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivergull
Thanks Jimi77. I'm now excited about trying out the ELECTRA TOWNIE EURO 8D, from REI sports. It's rather high-priced though so must look for last year's model on sale.
I think most people will say the Electra's are overpriced and instead you should look at comparable Giant, Trek, Gts, etc. I tend to agree the Electras are pricey compared to what other companies offer. That said comfort and availablity are what matter the most.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...de/7332/44067/
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...uiser/calypso/#

Last edited by Jimi77; 08-30-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...de/7332/44067/
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...uiser/calypso/#[/QUOTE]

The cross-bar on both of these bikes is too high for me. It's one of the reasons I'm selling my Fuji Gran Tourer Se. I'm of an age where I need 'the scoop' style stepover....a la the Electra. I believe there are a few Trek's, etc. with same. I'll keep looking.
Old 08-22-11, 09:13 AM
Used & Abused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make "woman's" frames too.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ections_womens
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...er/7332/44125/
Old 08-30-11, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jimi77....the Cruiseliner and Calypso look like potential candidates...still costly, but I want aluminum and chain guard and fenders. Looks good.
Old 08-30-11, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Cruiseliner

Oops...Cruiseliner is only 3 speeds...think I should max go for at least a five-speed.