Lodi Sunrise Century-May 19th

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lodi Sunrise Century-May 19th

I'm down for the 100. This will be my first century. Anyone else in?
Old 05-06-07, 06:30 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Same day as Davis Double.

My Cycling Blog
Old 05-06-07, 07:09 PM
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to do this one but decided to do another ride w/friends near Davis instead...
Old 05-06-07, 09:00 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
It's not a bad route, kind of a small turnout when I did it and the support is the Rotary Club or something so they don't really know what they're doing but they're friendly and have cars if you get in trouble.
Old 05-06-07, 10:17 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tprevost
I was going to do this one but decided to do another ride w/friends near Davis instead...
not the double? How far away are you from Davis?

My Cycling Blog
Old 05-06-07, 10:32 PM
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
not the double? How far away are you from Davis?
You're really going, Tracy? Excellent.

spingineer, a bunch of friends are getting together starting in Winters and riding part of the DD route (up 128) but then when we get to Moscowite Corners we'll head south towards Wooden Valley and Fairfield and then back up Pleasants Valley towards Lake Solano, with a segway over Cantelow, & back to Winters.

But no worries, we'll be very serious about it.
Old 05-06-07, 10:35 PM
okay, maybe...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jobob
You're really going, Tracy? Excellent.

spingineer, a bunch of friends are getting together starting in Winters and riding part of the DD route (up 128) but then when we get to Moscowite Corners we'll head south towards Wooden Valley and Fairfield and then back up Pleasants Valley towards Lake Solano, with a segway over Cantelow, & back to Winters.

But no worries, we'll be very serious about it.
you may be serious.... I will be struggling! However, yep, I'm coming
Old 05-07-07, 05:44 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm going to try and make this one. It's actually a nice ride up unntil the 70-75 mile mark.... then it is typically a 20 mile slog into the prevailing Delta afternoon wind.

What I'll probably do if I go is to do the bulk of the ride to get the climbing and the scenery, but SAG out at the last rest stop at 75 miles to avoid the flat but oh-so-windy and boring grind back into town.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-08-07, 11:51 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I'm going to try and make this one. It's actually a nice ride up unntil the 70-75 mile mark.... then it is typically a 20 mile slog into the prevailing Delta afternoon wind.

What I'll probably do if I go is to do the bulk of the ride to get the climbing and the scenery, but SAG out at the last rest stop at 75 miles to avoid the flat but oh-so-windy and boring grind back into town.
No way I would ever start a ride planning to sag in. Park your own car there ahead of time if you must. Better to battle the wind with the rest of the riders and Rotarians. SAGs are for injuries and major mechanicals, not wind weenies.
Old 05-08-07, 12:51 PM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
No way I would ever start a ride planning to sag in. Park your own car there ahead of time if you must. Better to battle the wind with the rest of the riders and Rotarians. SAGs are for injuries and major mechanicals, not wind weenies.
Well, I can ride the wind all day longand have many times - I've nothing to prove. But wind and flat boring ground isn't fun, and I ride for fun.... so there....

Actually, what I'll probably do is go out on the metric with the wife and 11 year old daughter. When the kid says she's had enough, we'll quit.

So far this year, she was good for 40 miles at the Foothill Century out of Merced (lots of rollers), completed the Cinderella metric, and completed the 30 mile loop at the Delta Century last Sunday in the big winds we had there.

Pretty good resume for an 11 year old girl.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-08-07, 03:32 PM
okay, maybe...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Well, I can ride the wind all day longand have many times - I've nothing to prove. But wind and flat boring ground isn't fun, and I ride for fun.... so there....

Actually, what I'll probably do is go out on the metric with the wife and 11 year old daughter. When the kid says she's had enough, we'll quit.

So far this year, she was good for 40 miles at the Foothill Century out of Merced (lots of rollers), completed the Cinderella metric, and completed the 30 mile loop at the Delta Century last Sunday in the big winds we had there.

Pretty good resume for an 11 year old girl.
that is SO cool! I can't wait til my kids are old enough to do some distance (of course, I also hope they even want to ride w/me!)
Old 05-08-07, 03:50 PM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by tprevost
that is SO cool! I can't wait til my kids are old enough to do some distance (of course, I also hope they even want to ride w/me!)
Yeah - it is, isn't it?

When she was real little I did a ton of centuries solo. When she was old enough to perch on the back of a tandem, I bought one and she and mom did the short "family" loops at first, and then worked up to the metrics - while I still did centuries solo. She was big enough a year ago Christmas to get her own road bike, albeit a flat bar version - still too small to reach the levers/drops on a regular road setup. Now that I'm riding with them more and more, it has sort of changed my focus on the longer rides. I still do centuries, but not as many - I often prefer to ride with the family, even at the greatly reduced pace. And if I'm riding with her, I've no problem SAG'ing out if she says she's done.

Right now, I've found a very small road frame (44cm) and am building it up with 8 speed Sora to (hopefully) meet her requirements. The flat bars are giving her discomfort on the longer rides, so I need to get her on a drop bar where she can change positions.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-20-07, 06:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I did it. 7:17. Not a bad ride at all, but yes that last 25 is into the wind. There was a stretch there after the 75 mile rest stop where I did not see another rider for about 30 minutes, and I was riding right into the wind where just about gave up, but I pushed through and I'm glad I did. Got that first one out of the way. Looking at the Mile High Century (June 16th), Fall River (July 21st) and the CASA Ride Through Paradise (Klamath Falls, Or. on Oct. 6th). Any other suggestions for good ones that don't have obscene amounts of climbing?