Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

Livestrong Challenge - Philly

Search
Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 07:02 PM
hobo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's threads for the Portland and Austin rides, so here's one for the philly ride.

https://www.livestrong.org/site/c.jvK...iladelphia.htm

August 25-26th

I'll be doing the century ride in honor/memory of my cousin who passed away this past easter morning (25yrs old) from liver cancer. If you'd like to donate, my link is below. Or you can participate by registering using the above link.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/srd42
Old 05-14-07, 11:20 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Grahny,

I will be riding my first ever Century in the Philly ride.

I am riding for a friend Dan who is a survivor of prostate cancer, and my sister who is undergoing chemo and radiation for a cancer behind her eye.

I know others who have been touched by, and taken by, cancer, but I think two is enough.

I am also seeking donations, anyone interested, use the link in my signature.

Hopefully more BikeForums,net riders will join in as well. I rode the shortest ride last year due to a comedy of errors, but it was still fun... even if the ride was done about the time I had finally warmed up well.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-14-07, 12:32 PM
sore.

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i decided to sign up for this ride after seeing this thread, in lieu of doing bikephilly.

looking forward to it.
Old 05-15-07, 07:47 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Grahny,

I will be riding my first ever Century in the Philly ride.

I am riding for a friend Dan who is a survivor of prostate cancer, and my sister who is undergoing chemo and radiation for a cancer behind her eye.

I know others who have been touched by, and taken by, cancer, but I think two is enough.

I am also seeking donations, anyone interested, use the link in my signature.

Hopefully more BikeForums,net riders will join in as well. I rode the shortest ride last year due to a comedy of errors, but it was still fun... even if the ride was done about the time I had finally warmed up well.
Very cool... Last year there were a TON of riders for all the distances it seemed. A great turn out it seemed.

Last year I ended up having to switch off the century ride and walk the 5K last instead 'cause I destroyed my wrist two weeks before the ride (9 screws & a plate in my wrist). This year I'm hoping things turn out differently and I'll be on the bike instead

I was very happy to see the ride back in Philly this year... kind of like a 2nd chance. Although I wasn't all that excited about the location of the walk - walking through a couple community college parking lots isn't all that interesting. At least the rides get people actually over into Philadelphia.
Old 05-15-07, 07:49 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo
i decided to sign up for this ride after seeing this thread, in lieu of doing bikephilly.

looking forward to it.

Good call!
Old 05-16-07, 08:17 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
How is the Philly route? I have done the Ride for the Roses and then last year the Livestrong ride in Austin and plan on doing the Livestrong ride down there again...but maybe I will do Philly as well.
Old 05-16-07, 10:41 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not 100% sure since I wasn't able to ride it last year. I looked over the cue sheet though and it's basically a lot of the same roads I ride anyway. Through the city has got to be a pain though - you end up going through manayunk, down into the city through the usual bike paths (kelly drive), and then down to the Naval yard in south philly... I'm sure the areas up in montgomery county are a little nicer with less traffic.
Old 05-31-07, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding 100 miles in the LIVESTRONG Challenge Philadelphia, too.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/scottjoy

I hope to see many of you there!
Old 06-10-07, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also doing the Livestrong Challenge in Philly. It is my first century ride. I can't wait.

If anyone would like to donate here is my link.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...57CA47A18DB2EC
Old 06-14-07, 10:50 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the Philly thread.

This will be my second year for the Philly ride. Again this year I'll be riding in memory of my mother and her two sisters who lost their battles with cancer. Here is the link to my page.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/bowens

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-15-07, 04:02 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some basic info was updated with a mildy vague course description... hard to tell now if any of the routes will actually even go into the city or not. The century ride will have 8,000 ft of climbing though

Philadelphia Route Description

The LIVESTRONG Challenge Philadelphia routes are a cyclist's dream, providing a combination of incredible climbs, descents and views. The wooded scenery, historic landmarks and pristine road conditions make the 2007 route one to remember. The course sets out from Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, PA in scenic Whitpain Township and heads west on Morris Road into beautiful rural surroundings. It then proceeds west and traverses the Green Lane Reservoir before continuing further northwest up Kutztown Road into Berks County, home of picturesque vineyards, historic monuments and preserved farmlands where the likes of George Washington once camped. The 100-mile course turns south for home once in Dryville and winds through the scenic countryside of Oley and Boyertown before returning to MCCC for the Post Event Party.

Overall, all the course distances for the LIVESTRONG Challenge Philadelphia encompass moderate to difficult terrain with some steep climbs. The 100-mile course will ascend a total of 8,000 ft. before finishing at MCCC. Because of the terrain, tandem bikes are not permitted on the 100-mile course. Ride and 5K course maps, profiles and logs will be placed on the website soon.
*All courses subject to change.

Last edited by grahny; 06-15-07 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 10:40 PM
Cycling Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottJoy
I'll be riding 100 miles in the LIVESTRONG Challenge Philadelphia, too.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/scottjoy

I hope to see many of you there!
I will see everybody there! I'm so excited myself, I can't wait!
Old 06-15-07, 10:43 PM
Cycling Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Thanks for the Philly thread.

This will be my second year for the Philly ride. Again this year I'll be riding in memory of my mother and her two sisters who lost their battles with cancer. Here is the link to my page.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/bowens
Good for you Beverly. I'm sorry to hear about your mother and your aunts. You must be a pretty strong and courageous person. You will do it again and you will succeed! Thumbs up!
Old 07-13-07, 06:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my first century ride as well, though I've done a few 90+ mile charity rides. It'll be nice to finally get to that magic 100 mark. Plus, I have a close uncle who is a cancer survivor so this ride will definitely have a lot more personal meaning.

The folks at LIVESTRONG Challenge recently posted details about the Philly ride. Unfortunately, it doesn't go through Center City at all - the whole ride will be in and around Montgomery County. They've got detailed maps of the course and updated info at:

https://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khL...Event_Info.htm

Also, for anyone who is fundraising, you can get some free promotional materials (stickers, magnets, 3-ring binders) that you can include/handout when making solitications to potential donors. It took about a week or so to get them, but they're really neat. Check it out at:

https://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khL...RKjLUL9MVIuJbH

See ya in Philly!
Old 07-18-07, 04:02 PM

Bikes: 2010 Felt B12 w/Shimano Ultegra and ZIPP 808’s, 2007 Scott CR1 Equipe w/Campagnolo Chorus, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp w/Shimano 105/Ultegra, 1991 Kestral 200SC w/Shimano Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All,

It’s good to see so many people “Do’ing More” to help in such a good cause. I have been affected by cancer my whole life. Love ones I have lost due to cancer; childhood best friend age 22, grandfather age 72, mother age 62, father age 64 and just this past December my father in-law age 78. This does not paint a pretty picture for my future. So I have finely decided to “Do More” by getting off my ass and raising a little money to help the cause.

I am taking part in the Philly Livestrong challenge and will ride the 100 mile ride in memory of my father in-law Albert E Stefancin (Alby). Seventeen years ago I hung up my racing shoes. With the passing of my father in-law I have decided to get totally fit again, as a cyclist goes. My Kestrel 200 SC was set up for flat roads with a 42/53 chain rings and 12-21 cassette. Yes it’s a seven speed and regardless I still ride up to 75 mile in around 4hr and 45min with average speeds of 18-19 miles hr with about 1500 ft elevation total trip. Not too bad after 17 years for a 45 yr old. O’well I do have some gearing changes coming. I put on a 39 tooth inner chain ring and now can stay seated for most of my climbs. Now I am getting a new 13-25 cassette. It was tuff to find a Shimano 600 UniGlide (Pre Ultegra Groupo) cassette. I found it at The Third Hand/Loose Screw (www.thethirdhand.com).

I am really looking forward to that 100 miles with the 8000 feet of elevation. I want to feel the suffering as it’s only a millionth of what people with cancer will suffer. I will LiveStrong for them.

I’m really not very good at raising money and I think this is the first time since selling church candy as a kid. Well I hope to see and meet some people at the event. Take care.

My fundraising efforts web page is here:

https://philly07.livestrong.org/jrokowski

James

Last edited by tasr; 07-19-07 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-21-07, 07:25 PM
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost my father to Cancer on June 12 of this year, and my mother-in-law in 1998. I can't leave it up to the "other guy" anymore. I am riding the 100. I will raise money every year from now on for the LAF, whether they have a ride in Philly, or wherever I have to go.

We have to do something, because anything is better than nothing ... and my Dad was my best friend, and worth everything to me. The evil monster that cancer is will fuel my drive up the 8000 feet of climbing. The suffering that I will experience, is a small fraction of the suffering, and challenge, of those who are fighting cancer.

https://philly07.livestrong.org/alronan
Old 07-23-07, 11:00 AM
sore.

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would anyone be interested in carpooling from the New Haven, CT area? I'm doing the ride, but as of right now, I'm flying solo.

Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-25-07, 12:43 PM
2 Wheels good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'll be doing the Philly Ride also!
Anyone coming from NYC, same car pool offer applies
Old 07-30-07, 05:10 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cue sheets are up...

https://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khL...Event_Info.htm

EDIT: I've mapped the ride out and have tcx & gpx GPS files for the 100 mile route if anyone wants them (for Garmin). According to the file, the ride is 96 miles and 8,343ft of climbing, with the big climbs in the 8-9% grade range... lots of 3-5% climbs. PM me if you'd like the files.

Last edited by grahny; 08-06-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 08:37 PM
Dwindling Roadie

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 R1000, '80's Cannondale (The Beast), Diamondback Topanga Hardtail MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the site here, but figured I should post on this thread. I have a friend who may die from cancer just before I do the Philly Livestrong Challenge. She is not expected to make it, so she will definitely be on my mind during that ride. Sorry to put such a negative note in here, but that is why I ride. My website also has a link for donations.
Old 08-17-07, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I never even thought to check in here for everyone doing the Philly Challenge.

I'm the course marshall coordinator / SAG Vehicle coordinator this year for the Philly Challenge. Everyone at the LAF is really excited to see how the new route turns out, alot of research and help went into making this year much better than last year (major thanks to Medalist Sports, the third party organazing the whole thing this year).

If you see one of the SAG Wagons drive by this year, that is me or someone on my team. Chances are I will be harassing everyone via megaphone on the big climbs, but mainly because I'm jealous that I can't be out there riding with you.

Make sure you report back with feedback as to what you think about the course and the LiveStrong Village. It's going to be a blast! Any questions shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help you out

See you next weekend!
-Dan
Old 08-18-07, 01:57 PM
Insert witty phrase here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
How is the Philly route? I have done the Ride for the Roses and then last year the Livestrong ride in Austin and plan on doing the Livestrong ride down there again...but maybe I will do Philly as well.
Hi everyone,
I will be riding the century course next week for the Philly Challenge. I am a pediatrician who does cancer research at the national institutes of health, and I am riding in honor of the oncology patients at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children.

I previewed the course last week and here are some thoughts if you are interested...
It is, as you would imagine with >8000 feet if climbing, a tough course. I tend to average about 20+ mph on flat rides and 17-18 mph on hilly rides when I am by myself, faster in a group. My average speed for this course (I was alone) was 15.9 mph, if that gives you an idea of the difficulty. And with all the climbing I doubt drafting will help all that much. I (sadly) spent a good amount of time riding at 5-6 mph at max heart rate. So it is a difficult course but obviously the tradeoff is that it is a very rewarding ride to complete, and let's face it, this is the kind of challenge most of us are looking for.

There are those 2 or 3 really big climbs that you can see on the elevation chart, but the even more challenging part of this ride (I think) is that there is almost no flat. There is barely any time to recover from one climb before you are on another one.

Sadly, the ride does not go through Philly at all, but a lot of the course goes through absolutely beautiful areas. Once you get past the first 5-10 miles it is very nice scenery for the most part. The tradeoff here is that there are a lot of turns, one almost every 1-2 miles, some sharp blind curves on uphills and downhills, and some shady pavement, so you have to stay on your toes, especially in a large group ride.

I ran into a guy who was also previewing the course who is one of the organizers-he told me that there will be the jumbotron and all kinds of fanfare at the finish line just like the big races, so that should be cool.

Looking forward to suffering up those climbs with you all, it's going to be a tough day on a great course, and something all levels of riders will find challenging. To the organizers-thanks a lot!!!! Let's keep this ride coming back to Philly!

See you there!
Old 08-20-07, 04:27 PM
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a recon of the century route today (by car). It is very hilly, and will certainly challenge anyone who is riding it.

BEWARE !!! Landis Store Rd. ... it has been freshly oiled and chipped, and at about mile 55 begins a descent down to Hill Church Rd. This descent is very dangerous due to the loose gravel.

Anyone doing the 100 mile route, please be careful.
Old 08-21-07, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Jack, for the preview. I'm looking forward to it!

Well, the final week before the big ride...any of you veteran cyclists have any recommendation for a newer rider on how to make best use of the next few days? Rest up? Ride a little? Do my normal drill? And what about food? Is loading up on carbs the night before worth it?

See y'all in Philly!
Old 08-21-07, 08:09 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoyostock
Thanks, Jack, for the preview. I'm looking forward to it!

Well, the final week before the big ride...any of you veteran cyclists have any recommendation for a newer rider on how to make best use of the next few days? Rest up? Ride a little? Do my normal drill? And what about food? Is loading up on carbs the night before worth it?

See y'all in Philly!
I'm just going to get a couple of tempo rides in this week and maybe 1 day of hills (although the weather may dictate that).

Food wise, don't do anything that you wouldn't normally do. Don't carb load the night before if you aren't used to doing it. You're better off eating sensible the several days before (getting enough carbs, but no need to overdo it) and then just make sure you eat/drink on the bike and you'll be fine.

Lots of hills, so remember not to kill yourself on the first half so you save your legs. I plan on spinning/drafting as much as I can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.