Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

What's a good rain tire?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

What's a good rain tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-03, 05:25 AM
Just ride.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's a good rain tire?

Road race tomorrow, and even if it isn't raining, the roads will be wet. I know my Mich Axial Pros and Vred Tri Comps are no good on wet roads. How about Vittoria Rubino Pros? Conti GP 3000s? Any suggestions?
Old 06-13-03, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vred. Tri-Comps no good for the wet? I use these tires for training (and some races), and I've never overcooked a corner in any conditions while using them. This Wednesday I did a 4.5 hour ride in flash-flooding conditions. Some hills had streams flowing down them, and huge deep puddles were everywhere. I didn't crash with the Vreds. They're pretty good if you ask me.

But if you want my opinioin on the best rain tires (although I doubt you'll be able to get a hold of them for tommorow) they're the TUFO: GIRO TWIX tubulars. They've never ever given me problems in any of my races, and I've thrown them around pretty hard. They have small groove on either side of the crown of the tire (like car tires do) where water is supposed to go. That might just be a gimmick, but either way, they're good in any condition.

- Maurizio
Old 06-13-03, 08:07 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tips. Actually, the Vreds might do alright in corners. The time I had trouble with them was braking while going straight... overshot a turn. So I was still riding on the center of the tire instead of the shoulder.

Tubulars will be the next wheel investment. For now, I'm still a clincher kind o' guy.

Doesn't matter anyway. Turns out they aren't letting any cat 5s race in any of the categories, even though I had previously been told by one of the organizers I could ride in the masters 40+. (They didn't have a cat 5 race.) Found out today after taking half a day of vacation and driving 40 miles for the TT. At this rate, I'll never move up to cat 4. arghh.