Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hobson Pro-Hub Problems

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hobson Pro-Hub Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hobson Pro-Hub Problems

Last year, I ordered a Hobson Pro-Hub seat for my Raleigh Route 24. It arrived today. Evidently they had problems with their Chinese manufacturing facility.

Before I bought the seat, I contacted Hobson and asked if it would work with my Topeak wedge pack. They said it should be no problem.

I tried the seat today. No way will it work with the Topeak mounting hardware. I'll either have to give up the pack or fabricate a mount.

Aside from that, the Pro-Hub raised my seat level at least two inches. My seat was pretty low before I switched, and now when I try to lower the Pro-Hub to the right height, the seat post bottoms out in the frame. The Route 24 has a weird suspension on the seat post, so I can't just saw off the excess.

Is there any hope for this seat? It seems comfortable, but I can't ride with my rear end so high it puts all my weight on my wrists. I am considering getting a seat post with no suspension, since it should sit lower in the frame, but I hate to go to all that aggravation, not knowing if the post will even fit in the bike.
Old 05-08-07, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
You need a 27.2mm seat post if you want to go that route. They can range in price anywhere form ~$9 to over a hundred.
Old 05-08-07, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think 9 will suit me better than 100.

In case anyone else has a problem with a Pro-Hub seat, let me add that I went to a local bike store and ordered a new seatpost.

The other possible answer was to remove the hardware from the top of the existing post, saw two inches off the end, and replace the post in the frame. But then I faced the possibility of bottoming the seat hardware against the frame during rides.

Last edited by bike_codger; 05-08-07 at 03:16 PM.