Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric bicycle alarms

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electric bicycle alarms

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric bicycle alarms

Does anyone use them? What are opinions of the benefits of them (great or little)? Are the ones on the market crap?
Old 05-09-07, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've no experience,seems to make sense if the bikes locked-up in a common area,like a bike rack or busy spot.Thieves hate attention AND you could hear it if you were outside a store.
Old 05-09-07, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
I've no experience,seems to make sense if the bikes locked-up in a common area,like a bike rack or busy spot.Thieves hate attention AND you could hear it if you were outside a store.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Like in addition to a Ulock
Old 05-09-07, 09:12 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
Thieves hate attention AND you could hear it if you were outside a store.
When was the last time you saw anyone pay any sort of attention to a car alarm? Why would they behave differently for a bike alarm? (Other than to smirk or cuss at the thing.)

And that's all we need. Bike alarms going off in the middle of the night along with the car alarms.
Old 05-10-07, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have seen bike theieves in action, and the usual technique is to break the lock quickly and then get away very fast on the bike they just stole. A little electric alarm isn't likely to make any difference, especially since it would probably have to be the type that goes off when a cable is cut (rather than a motion sensor). The theif could just cut that cable last.
Old 05-11-07, 07:58 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
As far as I know I have tried every bike alarm on the market. They actualy wear out or don't work too well when new. They are all made as cheaply as possible. They are made too cheap. I got a couple of years out of one and a month or two out of another. Those where my favorites. I only used them in addition to a lock, or in a couple of places where I could see the bike at a restauraunt. And had loaded panniers that I wanted left alone. Or where someone was near the bike all the time and it was a low crime tourist area on an island.

You can put your hand over the loudspeaker or a towel or a jacket. You can just hit many of them with a rock.

You have to use a regular bike lock anyway.

They will all stop working even if they seem great when new.

Other people don't care anyway. They have been triggered by people trying to move my bike, no one cares.

Your bike will be lighter and easier to lock, if you just take your money for an alarm, and throw it out the window.

The best was the Cy-curity. I put it in my panniers and it has a remote like a car alarm. It worked great because you can't see it and can't reach it to silence it. It drained the batteries if I left them in the thing and then stopped working in a month or two. It's dead, and in the big pile of alarms in the cellar.