Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do I need to replace my helmet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

I had my bike up on the kickstand while I sat on a bench enjoying the sun Had looped my helmet over the handlebars. Next thing I know - Crash! - a gust of wind took the bike over and I think it landed on the helmet. I should replace it, shouldn't I? My bike is on the heavier side... there's no visible damage to the helmet but I don't know what the standard is.
Old 05-10-07, 02:04 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd give the helmet a good inspection, both inside and out, And try flexing it to see if it has any give. It most likely will be fine since it was only a few feet. Look for any scratches and check to see if there are any cracks. Keep in mind though, even if the helmet is fine, the material degrades over time. I think I've read somewhere that helmets should be replaced every 5 years.
Old 05-10-07, 04:59 PM
BWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With motorcycle helmets, even if you just drop the helmet from waist high, it should be replaced unless inspected by the manufacturer. Reason being that the foam deforms even from that height, and it will not protect your head as designed.

This sounds pretty equivalent because of the weight of the bike, so in good faith I can't recommend you do ANYTHING other than full replacement or inspection by manufacturer.

Another bit of motorcycle knowledge: What is your head worth? In the case of my motorcycle helmet, $600! I bet you your bicycle helmet is much less, and so buy another!
Old 05-10-07, 08:40 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
I had my bike up on the kickstand while I sat on a bench enjoying the sun Had looped my helmet over the handlebars. Next thing I know - Crash! - a gust of wind took the bike over and I think it landed on the helmet. I should replace it, shouldn't I? My bike is on the heavier side... there's no visible damage to the helmet but I don't know what the standard is.
The industry "standard" is to sell as many helmets as possible with whatever storyline will work.

But at least the helmet saved your bicycle from catastrophic damage, eh?
Old 05-10-07, 09:53 PM
Mad Furyan

Bikes: 02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The industry "standard" is to sell as many helmets as possible with whatever storyline will work.

But at least the helmet saved your bicycle from catastrophic damage, eh?
+1 even a cracked helmet(although I doubt you cracked yours) will most likely be better than no helmet at all.
Old 05-11-07, 04:11 AM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Bikes: Trek 2008 Madone 5.5 Pro, Bianchi 2008 Axis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick_Torch C5
+1 even a cracked helmet(although I doubt you cracked yours) will most likely be better than no helmet at all.
Yes, but depending on the severity of the damage in that first impact, the energy from a second may not be properly dispersed around the helmet. The helmet could shatter far easier in that second accident than it might as new. Check it throughly. If you have any doubts, for peace of mind just replace it. In your situation, I think I would probably replace it anyway. It fell onto concrete / tarmac or something very hard right?
Old 05-11-07, 07:37 AM
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Is it worth the risk? Replace it. If you value the protection your helmet provides, which you do if you wear it, replace it.
Old 05-11-07, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks, everyone. That's about what I thought. I knew about the motorcycle helmet thing but didn't know if it applied to bikes. I'll have a chance to pop in to the bike shop this afternoon and I will pick up a new helmet to be safe. (If I get one of the fancy ones, maybe I'll look like I'm going faster!)
Old 05-11-07, 02:14 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nashbar is having a Helmet clearance sale. (No I don't work for them, but I want a kickback for all the Helmet business I've sent them)

I got our '06 Giro Havocs there pretty cheap, but be sure you know what size you need, I had originally ordered my girlfriend a different helmet from them and had to send it back at my expense for the exchange.