Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

fixed gear TOSRV?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

fixed gear TOSRV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 03:41 PM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed gear TOSRV?

so a friend and i are talking about doing the TOSRV (tour of the scioto river valley), and i'd be doing it fixed. 43x16, probably a brake, switching my flats out for drops (though....hmmm...flats might be better for climbing, as i won't have hoods on the drops).

anyone have experience with tosrv and think i'm a total looney? i think it sounds fun.

oh, yeah: https://www.tosrv.org/07/index.htm
Old 05-10-07, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
I did it fixed a few years ago.

Worst part wasnt the actual ride itself but the endless comments over my selection of bikes to ride.........

still contemplating doing it again this year......im torn tween that and a backpacking trip which is cheaper by quite a bit, but if I go it will be on my work bike the tsunami I ride everyday

also, watch the heck out for squirrely riders, lots and lots of crashes every single year from people hitting each other
Old 05-10-07, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like fun. why not get hoods? seems like itd be senseless to have a brake, drops, but only a cross-lever or bmx lever or whatever. at least get some $20 tektro ones from chucksbikes.

do you need mad panniers and stuff, or do they provide most of the non-riding aspects of doing a 200 mile tour?
Old 05-10-07, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
^^ you pay a fee and they haul your stuff from the hyatt @ capital square to portsmouth and then back again the next day, along with usual sag stops and sag wagons and periodic food stops, its like most organized century tours

they already marked some of the streets, saw road tattoos on high street 2 miles south of downtown today

you can do the night at a park/stadium place they have for free or get your own accommodations, portsmouth being a small place as cities go most of the rooms will be booked in advance

I think they cap the ride at like 3k riders, its a big ride, draws tons of people.
Old 05-10-07, 07:40 PM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morbot
sounds like fun. why not get hoods? seems like itd be senseless to have a brake, drops, but only a cross-lever or bmx lever or whatever. at least get some $20 tektro ones from chucksbikes.

do you need mad panniers and stuff, or do they provide most of the non-riding aspects of doing a 200 mile tour?

i'm going as diy as possible, just using what i already have. also, i wouldn't be paying, just riding along and camping, and a friend who works at a bike shop has a boss who's driving up and would take our sleeping bags...maybe, i still have to contact him and find out. that's one of the deal-breaking things.