Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

&^%$ing Pavement! (Or, why not to ride with sandals!)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was on something of a joy ride today when I popped off a curb. I am not one of these hot shots who want to bounce off everything in sight, I just wanted to get off the sidewalk as quickly as possible.

Well, lo and behold, it had been quite hot out today, and my feet, in sandals, were quite slippery and when I hot the ground, my foot pushed my sandal off the pedal and upon landing, my foot went straight into the pavement. I was quite amazed that I managed to keep pedaling the whole time, but there were several bystanders who were mortified as they saw a small fountain of blood spurting out of the tip of my toe big toe.

Anyway, I tried to slow the bleeding as best I could by keeping the foot pointed toes up, while I pedaled for home. After pouring freezing cold water on it, I then dipped it in peroxide, and now I sit here with my foot totally immobilized, as I try to keep the bleeding under control.

I knew white carpets were a bad idea.

ANyway, long story short and all that -- don't ride with sandals...
Old 05-11-07, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
...or if you do, use Shimano or Lake, which can take cleats. Hope you're not laid up too long.
Old 05-11-07, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, I have had sprained ankles and continued walking 3 hours a day, I have wrenched my knee and continued biking, I did some (unknown) damage to my arm but could still lift weights and chin ups (albeit, all of these were with much pain and yearning for my friend Professor Jack Daniels). A little lost skin and a blood fountain ain't keeping me off my bike -- regardless of how foolish I am!

THanks for the sentiment though!
Old 05-11-07, 02:20 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
The conclusion I'd draw is "don't ride on platform pedals with no foot retention system (aka toeclips )".
Old 05-11-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
The conclusion I'd draw is "don't ride on platform pedals with no foot retention system (aka toeclips )".
You know... I would have to agree with you, but for one small fact.

Several years ago, before I ever had a major interest in biking, I had an old street bike with a foot retention system (not toe clips, but bands over the top of the foot). Somehow, I managed to do the same thing except worse!

Then again, I think death and pain are both sitting just over my shoulders taking bets on what stupid thing I'll do next...
Old 05-11-07, 02:35 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Duh, I think had this figured out when I was 10. I always cringe when I see people riding in flip flops.
Old 05-11-07, 02:39 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
<looks down at his Shimano sandals and ugly feet, but remains silent>
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-11-07, 02:43 PM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Ow.... and yeah, I'm another "never bike without toes covered!!!" person. If there's a chance for me to whack one of my extremities into/with any other object, it will happen, inevitably; my baby toes are boneless little blobs from having been cruched so often.

I did see some sandals that had almost a sneaker-like toe cover, just over the tips of your toes, then with straps behind that. That looked sensible. I have to go check them out tomorrow (I was window-shopping).
Old 05-11-07, 02:46 PM
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are people who ride motorcycles in flip-flops, tanktops, and shorts. Now that is some squidly behavior to behold.
Old 05-11-07, 02:49 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buglady, what you likely saw were Keen footwear...click the hyperlink to know for sure.
Old 05-11-07, 02:54 PM

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Hey, you're right! Those are definitely the ones I saw. Thanks!
Old 05-11-07, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's worse? These were the sandals...

https://www.jamesandjames.com/htmlfil...sharborbge.htm

I am quite fortune it was onyl the big toe....
Old 05-11-07, 03:10 PM

You're kind of lucky you still *have* toes, I think... quick, count them to make sure...

Has it stopped bleeding yet?
Old 05-11-07, 03:27 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, those are not samdles those are flip flops. I have done centurys in a set of shimano's And may be wearing them on Tosrv this weekend. Must liklely will also wear them the entire week of Goba also. Some time Sidis just arent called for.
Old 05-11-07, 05:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Has it stopped bleeding yet?
Nope, still kinda oozing blood. Doesn't help that I whacked my toe shortly after of a splintered piece of wood.

Now does anyone believe me about Satan and Pain sitting on my shoulders hedging bets. Just be thankful I didn't take up the job of test pilot....
Old 05-11-07, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found out about two weeks ago that flip flops, rain and platforms are not a good combo. I slipped off the pedals and wrecked infront of 2 old ladies at Walmart.

BTW, does anyone know if toeclips work with flipflops? It seems that it would not work to well. Sorry I am from Florida, I will never give up the 'flops. Even though I saw my brother chop of the tip of his finger in an exercise bike. So, yes I know chains can be dangerous
Old 05-11-07, 07:45 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MyBikeGotStolen, if you're honestly concerned about "how well flip-flops work with toeclips" it doesn't really matter because you're apparently not going anywhere too fast on a bicycle.
Old 05-11-07, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually, my highest speeds are reached while in flipflops. Those are the times when I am not hauling around all my stuff for work.

I am also worried about the possibility of my feet slipping off the pedals in the rain.
Old 05-12-07, 11:16 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Flip-flops? I thought we weren't just talking about flip-flops. Sheesh, I can hardly walk in flip-flops, but I love comfy sandals.
Old 05-13-07, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Liv Vall E+

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Ouch! I have also scraped the fronts of my toes during a fall off platforms. I still don't know what happened - started across an intersection, looked up to worry about a car trying to turn left into my path, wobbled the front wheel, and then bit it.

I had to ride home with bloody toes and some serious asphalt embedded in my shoulder and elbow, because not only was I riding in Tevas, but I had a tank top on as well.

Oh! And wingsofhermes - stop using the peroxide. It chews up the very cells you need to start the wound healing process on those toes.

I, too, have pain sitting over my shoulder. Just yesterday I stabbed myself in the leg with my front fender stay. Unbeknownest to me, the little plastic safety tip had fallen off, I was walking the bike through a crowd watching a parade. I stumbled as I lifted the bike over a curb, and ended up with ripped pants and a bloody leg.
Old 05-14-07, 08:43 AM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you really want to wear sandals at least get these.

Old 05-14-07, 10:07 AM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these with the closed toe. comfy. cheap at $19 at payless shoes.