Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

DR for a noob CX

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
105 or Deore/Tiagra for a noob CX

I would like to thank you in advance for any help you may provide.
I am just getting started in biking altogether and have decided on purchasing a CX bike for its wide variety of uses. Plus I would like to get into the racing scene, as I was a former cross country runner.
I have decided between two bikes.

2006 Bianchi Axis with ($900) LBS with great staff
Derailleurs, r/f: Shimano Deore XT 9spd / Shimano Tiagra 31.8mm
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra STI

2005 Lemond Poprad ($975) mass bike chain
Derailleurs, r/f: Shimano 105
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI

Since I am new to biking I don’t have much knowledge in repairing and maintaining a bike, which one of these would be less finicky? I know the 105 system is better than the Tiagra/Deore, but would the latter be better for a noob because it is more for off road applications?

Last edited by dohm0022; 05-16-07 at 01:25 PM. Reason: too generic of a title