Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not even a Twinge!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Not even a Twinge!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 07:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not even a Twinge!!

What a fabulous, fabulous day to be on the bike. Except for some wind, the bright and sunny spring blue skies with crisp cool air made it a perfect day for riding. The humidity was nowhere in sight which is pretty nice for the Carolinas.

I did an organized ride and didn't have even the first twinge of muscle cramps. I did a couple things differently in preparation this week and who knows how much difference it made versus the cooler weather but it was nice just the same.

Today's ride was about as much fun as I've had on a bike in a while. Lots of ups and downs but the descents were fast and curvy but not too technical so you could really enjoy them. I was very happy with my time as I stayed with the front group the first 35 miles and then sat up knowing the 5 mile climb was up ahead. Essentially the last 65 miles were solo.

Very, very rural roads with minimal traffic-maybe 10-12 cars all day??? Roads were tree lined for 2/3 of the way. Very scenic with roads around lakes and views from on top of the mountains of the lakes below.

The stats:

Distance: 100.01 miles
Riding Time: 5hr 53 mins
Climbing: 8300 ft
Average speed: 17 mph
Steepest hill: 19% (Although my Garmin was showing 26% on one hill....ugh)
Longest climb: 5 miles at 8%-the last mile averaged 14%
Max Speed: 47 mph
Average Cadence: 78 rpm (reflects updates in Garmin software to discard 0 cadence in Avg)
No of stops: 1
Stop time: 4 mins
Fluids: 3-24 ounce bottles-I can't believe that one!!!
Calories burned: 6700+ (I have a hard time believing the formula on this one)

I'll have a smile on my face falling to sleep tonight just thinking about today's ride.

Last edited by jppe; 05-20-07 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-19-07, 08:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You rode for nearly 6 hours with a total stop time of 4 minutes?!?!

I would have timed that ride in days rather than hours. I think about 4-5 days might do it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-19-07, 08:06 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I don't care how old jppe is, I think he should be banned from this site and restricted to the "Strictly roadie" section.

Great ride, though.
Old 05-19-07, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You should try out for the Tour De France, what a ride.
Old 05-19-07, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do seem to have a knack for this don't you? Very impressive sir.
Old 05-20-07, 07:31 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
You rode for nearly 6 hours with a total stop time of 4 minutes?!?!
I'm trying to retrain myself to avoid stopping very much (all roads lead to Mitchell!!). If you're trying to "ride for time" a lot of time can be used up at pit stops. If you have all the essentials with you, you can take breaks on the bike by changing riding positions, slowing down, etc while still moving along. It's part physical but also partly mental.

With the weather so nice on this ride I could have carried an extra water bottle with me and not even stopped at all but then I would have missed an incredible view. I wasn't exactly riding for time on this ride but using it as a training ride to condition myself to ride without stopping very much. I had actually planned to stop at about 80 miles but the rest stop wasn't there as planned.

Funny, but I eased by a lot of the hammerheads (who were taking a break) who I was riding with before I sat up earlier in the ride. I'm not the fastest by any means but by avoiding stopping I can continue to cover ground, ala tortoise and the hare!!!
Old 05-21-07, 06:34 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds pretty incredable. I have yet to be able to push more than about 62 miles riding straight through and I don't have any hills to contend with. Sunday went pretty well for me we had a reasonable headwind going out. I did:

61 miles
No stops (unless you count the 50 or so stop lights on the out and back, hit a few of these red)
First 30miles average was 16.8mph (headwind)
Second 30 miles average 19.1mph (tailwind)

I felt pretty good at the end but at usual my body was glad to get off the bike. I just think 3.5 hours is my bodies limit for being comfortable. It's interesting that I feel good until about the last 5 miles or so then my butt starts to hurt and my feet start bothering me.

2013 Noah RS
Old 05-21-07, 06:59 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
What a fabulous, fabulous day to be on the bike.
I'll have a smile on my face falling to sleep tonight just thinking about today's ride.
And what a fabulous ride! I bet you still have the smile this morning

A question about the cadence on the Garmin. Did you download the update from their site? I've never downloaded any updates as I hate computer/gadget updating

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-21-07, 03:39 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Beverly
And what a fabulous ride! I bet you still have the smile this morning

A question about the cadence on the Garmin. Did you download the update from their site? I've never downloaded any updates as I hate computer/gadget updating
I did download the update. It was 3.-something and mine was 2.8 I believe. One of the updates since the 2.8 was to exclude zero from the cadence average. I like that logic much better as it gives you a much better feel for your overall cadence. The 78 average on this route reflects there was a good bit of climbing where I was probably spinning 65 to the low 70's. I used to ride in the low to mid 90's a few years ago but it's now probably around 85 as I'm pushing a little harder gear.
Old 05-21-07, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
What a fabulous, fabulous day to be on the bike. Except for some wind, the bright and sunny spring blue skies with crisp cool air made it a perfect day for riding. The humidity was nowhere in sight which is pretty nice for the Carolinas.

I did an organized ride and didn't have even the first twinge of muscle cramps. I did a couple things differently in preparation this week and who knows how much difference it made versus the cooler weather but it was nice just the same.

Today's ride was about as much fun as I've had on a bike in a while. Lots of ups and downs but the descents were fast and curvy but not too technical so you could really enjoy them. I was very happy with my time as I stayed with the front group the first 35 miles and then sat up knowing the 5 mile climb was up ahead. Essentially the last 65 miles were solo.

Very, very rural roads with minimal traffic-maybe 10-12 cars all day??? Roads were tree lined for 2/3 of the way. Very scenic with roads around lakes and views from on top of the mountains of the lakes below.

The stats:

Average Cadence: 78 rpm (reflects updates in Garmin software to discard 0 cadence in Avg)

This man is QUALIFIED TO WEAR THE LYCRA! 50 + or not, these are seriously hard riding stats.

Road Fan
Old 05-21-07, 04:27 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I did a couple things differently in preparation this week and who knows how much difference it made versus the cooler weather but it was nice just the same.
Congrats on the ride...What were the couple of things?
Old 05-21-07, 05:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
This man is QUALIFIED TO WEAR THE LYCRA! 50 + or not, these are seriously hard riding stats.

Road Fan
No doubt about it. jppe's posts have shown him to be a strong rider for a long time, but lately he is really on a roll.
Old 05-21-07, 06:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Hermes
Congrats on the ride...What were the couple of things?
I really, really tried to make sure I was well hydrated going into the weekend. I'm sure that didn't hurt!! I take a diuretic daily to help prevent kidney stones (caused because I don't hydrate well enough!!!) and I stopped taking the diuretic a couple days before the ride to see if that would help.

I also took my electrolyte capsules with me on the ride and took one about 1/2 way through the ride. Those things tend to create a knot in my stomach even when taken with food so I avoid them unless they're absolutely necessary. I wonder if I could just dump the contents of a couple capsules into my fluids and take a lower concentration over a longer period of time....It's certainly not something I'd want to experiment with during a 100 mile ride though.

Between the cooler/less humid weather and those other things something made a really big difference. I was so nice to be able to pedal hard and run my heart rate up at the end of a ride again!!
Old 05-21-07, 09:50 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I really, really tried to make sure I was well hydrated going into the weekend. I'm sure that didn't hurt!! I take a diuretic daily to help prevent kidney stones (caused because I don't hydrate well enough!!!) and I stopped taking the diuretic a couple days before the ride to see if that would help.

I also took my electrolyte capsules with me on the ride and took one about 1/2 way through the ride. Those things tend to create a knot in my stomach even when taken with food so I avoid them unless they're absolutely necessary. I wonder if I could just dump the contents of a couple capsules into my fluids and take a lower concentration over a longer period of time....It's certainly not something I'd want to experiment with during a 100 mile ride though.

Between the cooler/less humid weather and those other things something made a really big difference. I was so nice to be able to pedal hard and run my heart rate up at the end of a ride again!!
Both my wife and I drink a lot of water each day. We think it has made a significant difference in performance and weight control. Neither of us have a weight issues, but we want to get stronger and lighter. Hydration seems to be the key.
Old 05-21-07, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that I could ride forever except for the burning in my undercarriage...around mile 80....otherwise a double century would be no sweat.
Old 05-21-07, 11:41 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
good stuff jppe
smokin ride
that climbing number is awesome considerin it all
you had the mojo this weekend!
Old 05-22-07, 05:33 AM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Road Fan]This man is QUALIFIED TO WEAR THE LYCRA! 50 + or not, these are seriously hard riding stats.[QUOTE]

you can say that again. The man has definitely got me beat, and I thought I was a "bike rider".

There is no way in physical "hell" I could ride 100 miles at a 17 mph average. That would cook me, and make me brain dead long before the ambulance could even come and get to me.

wait, I'm already brain dead,.......(my bad)
Old 05-22-07, 05:36 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did download the update. It was 3.-something and mine was 2.8 I believe. One of the updates since the 2.8 was to exclude zero from the cadence average. I like that logic much better as it gives you a much better feel for your overall cadence. The 78 average on this route reflects there was a good bit of climbing where I was probably spinning 65 to the low 70's. I used to ride in the low to mid 90's a few years ago but it's now probably around 85 as I'm pushing a little harder gear.
Thanks. Guess I need to check mine. I also like the idea of excluding the zeros from the average.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-22-07, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very impressive indeed. I doubt many of can even appreciate how tough that is. For the road race portion of our stage race the 45+ winner did 60 miles in 3:03 (19.67 mph) with about 5000 feet of climbing (field of 20). The 55+ winner did the same course in 3:13 (18.85 mph - field of 16). The only difference is all racing is above 7500 ft, with the highest point at 10,800 ft. Oh and the last 11 miles were 1200 feet of climbing on some pretty big rollers with a 15-17 mph head wind. If you ever get out to Wyoming in June you really ought to consider racing! FWIW I think I could do 60 miles at 18.85 mph - on a dead flat course with no wind. Put the climbing in there and I'm (as they say in the Navy) all ahead slow.
Old 05-22-07, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently listed Garmin Edge 305 updates:

* Edge 205/305 GPS Chipset Ver. 2.90 as of Nov 27, 2006
* Training Center For Mac Ver. 2.0.3 as of May 04, 2007
* Training Center For Windows Ver. 3.2.3 as of Apr 20, 2007
* USB Drivers Ver. 2.2.1 as of Mar 26, 2007
Unit Software
* Edge 305 Ver. 3.20 as of May 04, 2007

Go here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...ID=160&pID=331

I took the plunge and got one last week. SLICK!!!
Old 05-22-07, 07:28 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The stats:

Well done! Your avg. speed is my best speed on my 1/2 bike in a century, achieved last year.

I envy your ability to ride w/o stopping. I drink a lot of water myself & I need every single pit stop provided. I wonder if I can train to increasing my, ahem, holding power?

We too did a century on Sun. on the tandem. CGallagh has the stats; all I know is that it was gorgeous, hilly, and we achieved a new PR -- finished in 6:50 with a moving average of over 16 mph. Your numbers are impressive; I hope to see our numbers & performance improve as well.

Congrats!
Old 05-22-07, 07:35 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Very well done! My limiting factor is my left shoulder which goes AWOL after about two hours. Old injury. It is getting better, but it is definitely the weakest link.

Those are some very nice stats.