Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using a CO2 cartridge for inflation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Genuine Inovations CO2 pump with cartridges. I'm just curious how to use it once I've patched up my punctured tire. Do I simply screw on the CO2 cartridge until it's punctured, then quickly latch it to the tube, and it will inflate to 120 PSI? Thanks.
Old 05-20-07, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure it has some kind of trigger or regulator. Go to their web page and look up the directions for your model.
Old 05-20-07, 08:27 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There's a trigger on the Genuine Inovations Pump/CO2. In order to save CO2, I use mine in pump mode just to get some air into the tube, and to make sure the tyre is seated correctly, without any pinching. When I'm happy with the seating and position of the tyre, one 16oz cartridge is sufficient to get a 700x23 up to around 110psi. On my MTB a 26x2" tyre needs 3 CO2 cartridges to get it up to 85psi; a 26x1.5" tyre needs around 2 cartridges; so the lesson here is to always take more than one cartridge. YMMV…

- Wil
Old 05-20-07, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinetreeforest1
I have a Genuine Inovations CO2 pump with cartridges. I'm just curious how to use it once I've patched up my punctured tire. Do I simply screw on the CO2 cartridge until it's punctured, then quickly latch it to the tube, and it will inflate to 120 PSI? Thanks.
i'd practice at home first. i switched to CO2 a couple of years ago and man i can't for the life of me remember why i didn't do so years sooner. i also carry a mini-pump "just in case"... .

ed rader
Old 05-20-07, 09:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange, I dont think my nozzle has a trigger, yet it has the screw in for the CO2 cartridge.
Old 05-20-07, 10:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinetreeforest1
Strange, I dont think my nozzle has a trigger, yet it has the screw in for the CO2 cartridge.
Perhaps yours is a different model; here's a picture of mine:

- Wil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GI-pump.jpg (90.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-21-07, 06:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the Microflate,

which only works with threaded cartridges, you screw it on fully to puncture the cartridge then unscrew it slightly to release gas. To seal it back up again, just screw it back on tightly. I've found that a partially used cartridge will retain most of the gas over at least a month if you keep the microflate screwed on it tightly.
Old 05-21-07, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you have a Microflate, like the one shown above, thread the cartridge all of the way into the inflater then you can release the CO2 slowly into the tire by turning the cartridge counter-clockwise slowly. Keep your bare fingers off of any bare metal on the inflater. The escaping CO2 is super cold and can blister skin. Trust me on this. I wrap a glove around mine.

Al
Old 05-21-07, 10:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad there is a post on this because I bought this CO2 inflator a month ago and used it for the first time on Saturday when I had a flat. Unfortunately, I should have tried it at home first, but I wanted to inflate the new tube a little to give it a little shape before putting it on the rim. I couldn't figure out how to stop the flow before I got the tube on the rim and by the time I did the CO2 cartridge was empty. Needless to say, I had to call my wife to come get me as I only had one cartridge with me. I'll know better next time.

In hindsight, I probably could have just blown a little air into the presta valve to give the new tube a little shape before puncturing the CO2 cartridge.
Old 05-21-07, 10:57 AM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Cain
In hindsight, I probably could have just blown a little air into the presta valve to give the new tube a little shape
That's what I do. A little air in the tube makes for an easier install.
Old 05-21-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the Microflate for about 5 years, they work great. As mentioned above I blow a little air in the tube with my mouth then mount the tire and tube on the wheel. I then screw the CO2 cartridge on the Microflate piercing and sealing it. Install the Microflate on the tube and slowly let a little CO2 out and shut it off to check that the tire is seated properly. Once the tire is seated I inflate the tire with the remainer of the CO2 cartridge. I find a 16 0z. CO2 cartridge will fill a 700X25 tire to about 110 psi.
Old 05-21-07, 01:24 PM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
i'd practice at home first.
+ a bazillion bazillion...