Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chorus triple on symmetric BB?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts

I just installed a new Phil Wood bottom bracket on my bike (110.5mm, Campy taper). In the process I noticed that the middle chainring of my Campagnolo Veloce triple crank is looking a little worn with what look like some chips in a couple of the teeth. I've been shopping around for replacement chainrings, and I can almost get a new crankset for what a replacement Campy chainring costs. I've run across some clearance deals on brand new square-taper Chorus triple cranksets that are in the same price range and I'm tempted.

The only problem is that Chorus/Record cranks require an asymmetric bottom bracket that is, I think, 2mm longer on the drive side. Has anyone tried running a Chorus triple on a symmetric BB? What about if I adjusted the Phil BB to shift it 2mm to the drive side? Is it just a matter of chainline, or is there something special about the Chorus/Record triple BB that I'm not taking into account?
Old 05-21-07, 11:09 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Provided the chainline is correct (strictly a function of the drive-side axle length), then the only effect of an a/symmetrical axle is location of the non-drive side crank arm: non-critical.

Just be sure that if the non-drive side axle is shorter, then it's not too short. Otherwise no worries.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-21-07, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If I worried about a couple of chipped teeth I'd have to look for false teeth for my head.
Ride it and quit worrying.

Al