Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Can we ban massive photos being posted?

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 05-23-07, 09:21 PM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I know it ain't the end of the world, but it is annoying having
to continually scroll a long way left and right to read all the posts on a page
just because someone has posted a huge picture!!

This pic that someone posted measures 2ft3" wide on my screen!!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...50#post4498350

I'm obviously not singling out this person, because a lot of people do it -- it's just an example

thanks

Last edited by 531Aussie; 05-23-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-23-07, 09:54 PM
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second this!
Old 05-24-07, 03:10 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it bothers you so much either turn pictures off in your User Control Panel or don't bother looking at them.

Maybe a PM to the offending party asking if they need help resizing their wonderful pictures.

Just sayin' ya know.
Old 05-24-07, 03:55 AM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's bad enough when folk post large pics, but even worse when the "me too!" brigade quote the original post along with the giant hi-res pictures!

It is actually quite easy to post pics which will load quickly, and still look a reasonable size; start by using a resolution of 72 pixels/inch (anything higher is wasted when viewed on a computer display), and resize the picture to around 800x600 pixels, and save as a .jpg file with a compression of about 6 (on a scale of 1-12 if you're using PhotoShop™ …you know it makes sense!

- Wil
Old 05-24-07, 04:05 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dial-up is the problem, FIOS is the answer... (i.e., 55Mbps service)

gotta have those fat pipes!

:-)

p.s. (i always use a '56K Warning' in thread title when posting big pics)
Old 05-24-07, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey
don't bother looking at them.
as I suggest above, it's not that simple

a massive picture effects every post on the page

Last edited by 531Aussie; 05-24-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 05:12 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You mean like when some jackass posts a 40,000 pixel wide image?
Old 05-24-07, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by slvoid
]
yeah, now see how much fun it to read my post, which will, no doubt, be very interesting. Don't stop reading -- it will be worth it. Once upon a time, a lazy brown pope in the woods with a quick duck and a lazy bear with one leg jumped over a quick green frog in a blender from the Bud commericial

now try reading last night's race report from the Giro

Alessandro Petacchi, showing some of the sparkling form that propelled him to a record nine Giro d'Italia wins in 2004, used his unbeatable turn of speed to take his third Giro win on stage 11. Petacchi prevailed in a messy dash to the line in Pinerolo that saw a huge pileup behind the first ten riders, besting Italian Gabriele Balducci (Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo) and Robbie McEwen (Predictor-Lotto) after 198 kilometres in the saddle.

"I think today was dangerous but my companions did well," noted Petacchi after his 22nd Giro stage victory. "Maybe they went from too far out. I lost a little bit of speed [through the final bend] but I was able to make a great remount."

Just before the finish line, the wet pavement caused Nikolai Trusov's (Tinkoff Credit Systems) to lose control from a top ten position, and his crash caused a domino-like effect that resulted in maglia rosa Andrea Noè (Liquigas) sliding across the line on his backside. World Champion Paolo Bettini was also among the crash victims, but he and Noè were for the most part unharmed. Noè held onto the race lead, keeping his 1'08" advantage over Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre-Fondital).

The day was characterised by a long solo breakaway by Mickaël Buffaz (Cofidis), who nearly cracked under the strain of his efforts and stopped in tears at the halfway point in the stage, but soldiered on until 11 kilometres to go before being caught. With the sprinters focusing on the finale, specifically a dangerous U-turn to the right at 3800 metres to go, the peloton negotiated the tricky bend safely before yet another last-minute attack from the Tinkoff team. It was once again Mikhail Ignatiev, the Russian Olympic Champion, who was pulled back by Petacchi's diminished train of four right under three kilometres remaining.

As the metres ticked down, the fight for Petacchi's wheel was in full fury, with McEwen and Danilo Napolitano (Lampre-Fondital) fighting for position while Crédit Agricole's Bodrogi launched Julian Dean off the front. All the while, Petacchi kept his cool, first behind Lorenzetto and then Lancaster while the New Zealand champion rocketed up the road with 600 metres remaining. "I was afraid with the water and I did not want another crash with my knee," Petacchi confessed, "Lancaster went at 600 metres and did a great job. I was happy with his work because I was really scared over the wet pavement."

Bettini and Trusov
Photo ©: Sirotti
With Dean reeled in, Napolitano and McEwen continued to fight for Petacchi's wheel in the final left-hand bend at 250m, but when Petacchi fired up his cylinders, he displayed his dominant form that seemed to elude him since he broke his kneecap in last year's Giro, and easily kept McEwen at bay. Acqua & Sapone's Balducci ended up third behind the Italian and Australian.

"Balducci did well to come up. I have known him for many years." Regarding the emerging rivals, Petacchi added, "In a sprint like this, on a slight decent [a 37m elevation drop in the last 3.7km - ed.], it is easy for the others to re-enter, like Balducci."

Thor Hushovd and stage nine winner Danilo Napolitano came across safely in fourth and fifth, but as Nikolai Trusov (Tinkoff Credit Systems) tried to play his cards in the sprint, he lost traction on the wet pavement and slid out, taking down World Champion Paolo Bettini (Quickstep-Innergetic) with him. The crash ricocheted through the peloton as riders tried to brake to avoid the carnage, with Benoît Joachim (Astana) and Alexandre Pichot (Bouygues Telecom) hitting the deck next.

Alessandro Petacchi (Milram)
Andrea Noè's pink race leader's jersey and matching shorts couldn't protect him from the force of gravity, and the maglia rosa arrived in a most ungraceful fashion as Noè skidded over the line on his backside. "I arrived, sliding across the line," he recalled. "Unfortunately the sprinters braked on the line but it remains a mystery why," said the 38 year-old.

"Tomorrow we will see. It will be a hard day for [Danilo] Di Luca but also for everyone else," finished Noè.

Having taken nine Giro wins in 2004, six in 2005, and then crashing out before winning any in 2006, Petacchi is uncertain whether he will contend for more wins in this year's Giro or cut his risks. "I still am not sure if I will go on from here. I want to do a good Tour [de France], so I don't know. I will enjoy this victory now and then tonight I will talk to [DS Gianluigi] Stanga. I will think about it."

Of the GC hopefuls who were affected by the maxi-caduta ('big crash'), Yaroslav Popovych (Discovery Channel), third overall in 2003, seemed to be in bad shape at the finish line, leading to doubts as to whether he will start stage 12 to Briançon. Two-time Giro d'Italia champion Paolo Savoldelli also went down, but was unhurt, while Euskaltel-Euskadi's Aitor Hernandez finished the stage, but was later confirmed with a fractured collarbone, and will not take the start on stage 12.

How it unfolded
38 year-old Andrea Noè (Liquigas)
Today's stage from Serravalle Scrivia to Pinerolo started at 12:02 when 171 riders rolled out. Flèche Wallonne Champion Davide Rebellin (Gerolsteiner) did not take to the start line.

Through small Italian cities, like Novi Ligure and Ovada, the riders stayed 'gruppo compatto' (meaning the peloton was all together). After the first hour of racing the pace was at 30 kilometres per hour, a completely different story than yesterday's stage, where the pace was an amazing 51.2 km/h.

Shortly after this first hour there was an attack by Frenchman Lilian Jegou (Française Des Jeux) and Belgian Pierre Drancourt (Bouygues Telecom). The former took the sprint at the line in Cremolino (kilometre 37.8).

This duo was absorbed by the peloton and, by kilometre 38, there were to more riders off the front, Frenchmen Carl Naibo (Ag2r Prévoyance) and Mickaël Buffaz (Cofidis). Two kilometres later, Naibo had faded gone and his compatriot had taken 50". This time gap turned into 1'48" by kilometre 45.

In Acqui Terme, kilometre 50.8, the lone rider had 3'55", and by Bubbio, kilometre 68.3, he had 5'10". The riders continued at a gentlemen's pace; the average was 32.5 km/h after two hours of racing.

After three hours of racing, in Borgomale (kilometre 94), the gap reached 8'14" but then the 28 year-old had a moment of crisis. At 15:15 the Frenchman, born in Geneva, stopped on the side of the road. While the cameramen did their jobs, taking photos, he was crying in the arms of his directeur. He only took back on his bike after some encouraging words by his directeur sportif.

This stop dropped the gap down to 3'16" at kilometre 101. But due to the Gruppo Maglia Rosa putting on the brakes and having a relaxed day, the gap to Buffaz had shot up to 7'05" at 75 kilometres to the finish (kilometre 123). Buffaz was seen waving to the camera and, now, enjoying the day and not really 'trying' to build his gap. He must have been thinking that the day would belong to the sprinters' teams of Milram, Predictor and Crédit Agricole.

Andy Schleck (Team CSC) rides
In Bra, where it was 34°C at 69.5 kilometres to go, Buffaz's gap had gone higher than the pre-crisis time of 8'14", to 9'15". This started to fall as Danilo Napolitano's Lampre men moved to the front. By 60 kilometres to go Milram added its men and the gap was falling further, to 6'15".

With fifty kilometres remaining Buffaz was clinging onto a gap of 5'55". It was looking bad for the Cofidis man; Milram, Lampre and Predictor were adding coals to the chase-fire while clouds and winds were making the going tough.

Buffaz took the Garibaldi sprint in Saluzzo (-38.1 km) and the peloton passed, led by Nicolas Crosbie (Bouygues Telecom) and then Simone Masciarelli (Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo), 4'15" later. The race started to fall at the same moment. By 30 kilometres to go, with rain hitting heavily in Pinerolo, the gap had fallen to 2'42".

Tinkoff was moving some of its men to the front to prepare for a counter-attack. By 20 kilometres to got Buffaz was barely holding on to a one minute gap. Petacchi was tightening his toe-straps and ordering his Milram milk men to the front, like Mirco Lorenzetto. But there was also Hushovd's Crédit Agricole men moving to the front.

Paolo Bettini (Quickstep-Innergetic)
The gap had dramatically tumbled to 24" only five kilometres later. The sprinters teams were gearing up and ready to fire over the wet roads. Slightly up the road Buffaz was waving goodbye to the TV viewers. His dramatic day ended at kilometre 187 and the 'gruppo compatto' had 11 kilometres remaining for counter-attacks.

One had the sense that Oleg Tinkov's Tinkoff boys would fire as they had been amassing at the front over the final few kilometres. They were joined by Acqua e Sapone, who were setting up for Balducci. The water and soap team slowly led through the U-turn that Mikhail Ignatiev used as his launch pad.

A relatively quite Tinkoff day became animated but it did not last long. Milram, washing out Acqua, caught the 22 year-old Russian after the road curved right onto Via Giustetto. Off of this road, slighting turning onto the Stradale di Fenestrelle, Milram led for the eventual Petacchi win.

Stage 12 - Thursday, May 24: Scalenghe - Briançon (Francia), 163 km
The first major mountains of the 90th Giro d'Italia loom to the west of Torino in the Alps on the Italian/French border. The antipasto is the heavy duty Colle dell'Agnello, a 21.3-kilometre beast that rises to 2744 metres after 102 kilometres of racing. At the summit, the road plunges into France and at the famous road junction in Chateau-Queyras, turns right up the southern face of the evocative Col d'Izoard.

This legendary Tour de France ascent covers 14.2 kilometres at an average of 7.1% and the last few kilometres traverse the picturesque section called the Casse Deserte. Once over the 2360-metre summit, it's a steep descent to finish in Briançon. Look for the Giro strong-men to emerge on Stage 12.
Old 05-24-07, 09:43 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- congrats! you just exposed a firefox image display bug!
Old 05-24-07, 10:25 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a real browser! I.E. *6* handles it just fine.

(ducking)

Yeah, I hate extra-wide pictures too. Just to stay on topic.
Old 05-24-07, 03:15 PM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HUGEFREAKINPIC
Holy crap that's hilarious!

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 05-24-07, 09:12 PM
underfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lamest thread ever.
Old 06-04-07, 12:42 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I nearly fell out of my chair reading this ...

My Cycling Blog
Old 06-04-07, 04:30 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This thread is a lot more interesting about 40 yards over that way ----------->

You guys should go check it out.
Old 06-04-07, 09:26 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I have one that is much much longer.
Old 06-05-07, 04:20 PM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya know, I don't have to scroll left/right to read the other posts in the thread with ie or Opera. Fire fox does make you scroll. I don't think it would be a good idea to restrict image size since some people have enought trouble posting pictures as it is. Then again, it doesn't hurt to force people to learn how to work the interwebs a little now and then.
Old 06-05-07, 06:37 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know, those of you that find this annoying could always send the OP a friendly PM offering to help show them how to reduce an image.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-05-07, 09:15 PM
Le Tour

Bikes: Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thread
Old 06-26-07, 01:22 PM

Bikes: '86 or '87 Trek 850 MTB (bought used in 2007); previously: 1999 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it's not funny, it's kind of a drag to have a BF page take *forever* to load because of a huge photo. Not everyone has a high-speed connection, and even if we all did, there's no excuse for wasting bandwidth. Sending an IM to every offender is not a real solution for this problem, just as it isn't for other "netiquete" issues that are avoided by preventative measures at this and other forums.

Truly huge photos are wasteful and stupid and easy to ban -- LOTS of other sites do it, for the sake of users as well as server loading.
Old 07-15-07, 10:33 AM
half fast

Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my worn out horizontal scroll bar just fell off the screen and landed on F10
Old 07-15-07, 10:57 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
That's interesting -- the 40k wide picture didn't affect the text for me, on Firefox. It all fits on the screen. Maybe it's so large that the text width doesn't go over there, because usually it makes the text boxes wide.

IE makes the text box really wide here.

That would be a good BF improvement -- to limit the the width of the postings, but allow the big photos to go off the right margin. I don't know if it's feasible.
Old 07-15-07, 11:06 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
At least he didn't post this 50 million pixel wide hydrogen atom picture.
Old 07-15-07, 04:13 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just plug my laptop into our 52" flat screen. Never had to worry about image size...
Old 07-16-07, 10:17 AM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
At least he didn't post this 50 million pixel wide hydrogen atom picture.
I like that pic.
Old 08-30-07, 06:52 PM
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I noticed today that another forum running vBulletin 3.6.7 has a large photo resize feature. Not quite sure how it works, but it's there.

If you check this post, you'll see two pics I posted that I cropped and resized. Below them there is a third pic that I didn't crop & resize, yet it fits nicely on the screen and has a message at the top that reads "This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2288x1712." If you click the bar, it resizes to the original size and the message changes to "Click this bar to view the small image."

This might be something for the Admins to look into.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.