Route Database - Google Earth

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 03:15 PM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Route Database - Google Earth

Sorry to be such a cross-posting bastard. But I wouldn't have to if you whiney babies didn't need your own room...

Originally Posted by explody pup
I'd like to try this with the SW forum, first, and maybe those damn dirty Texans, too. I want to get a list of routes compiled in Google Earth. It's easy enough to use and you can save your routes as "My Places" or some such and then import it into the master file which would be available by download from here.

I wouldn't mind putting the file together and keeping it updated if you folks wouldn't mind plotting a route and emailing it to me.

If this is successful, then maybe it could start incorporating other regions, too. It would be pretty cool to have a national bike route database. Anyone interested?

Old 05-24-07, 04:01 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Are you talking about something like bikely.com or many other sites like that?
Here is my to-be commute
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Oak-to-Irving
and my current one
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Shared-Service
Old 05-24-07, 04:28 PM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I figure I'd base it off the Google Maps/Earth format and use a kml file to put together BF member routes. Looks like bikely uses that format. I'm still figuring out what the finished product will be. It'd just be nice to have a compilation of routes people use for either training or commuting. I could give a Google Maps link and a Bikely link or anything else that we could use the kml file for.

Thanks for the link. I'll add the route.

Though it's beginning to dawn on me I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. Might wind up kind of pointless in the end.

Last edited by explody pup; 05-24-07 at 04:52 PM.